Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

97 explorer head & fog light problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 12:30 PM
longevity
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 97 explorer head & fog light problems

(1997 ford explorer) My passenger side headlight went out. I have high beam. My foglights are also inop. I replaced the bulbs and checked the fuse. Could this be a ground problem or possibly a switch problem. Any help will be helpful.

Old 06-22-2003, 01:25 AM
96explorereddieb
Senior User

What kind of Explorer do you have? If you have an EB or a Limited, then it's your Lamp Out Module. It's located at the trip computer so it's pretty easy to get to.

If you don't have a trip computer, consider checking the relays.

Old 06-24-2003, 04:29 AM
longevity
New User

I have a 97 limited explorer. Is the trip computer the information center located in the center console? (miles per gal. etc...) Where is the module, under the console?

Old 06-24-2003, 11:22 AM
96explorereddieb
Senior User

Yes, that's it! It's inside the computer. Just pull the computer out of the center console and you should see it on the right side of the computer. All you have to do is to disconnect the lamp out module then unscrew 2 screws and it'll come off easily. Try going to a dealer and see how much it is. If it's too expensive, try some junkyards. Be sure to ask for Eddie Bauers or Limiteds because the computer was only available for those two models only. Also ask for the one that is from a '95-'98. Because If I remember correctly, Ford did away with the lamp out warning system in '99. I hope this helps and good luck!

Old 06-25-2003, 03:50 AM
longevity
New User
Thumbs up 97 explorer head & fog light problems

Thanks alot Billy. I will let you know how it turns out. Take care.

Old 06-26-2003, 04:16 AM
longevity
New User

Billy, Got the lights working again. Took the lamp outage module out and noticed a cold solder joint on one of the pins. I reflowed the solder, reinstalled, and bingo, lights. I sure do thank you for the advise.

Richard
97 Ford Limited
working fog lights
working low beams

Old 07-04-2003, 12:11 AM
96explorereddieb
Senior User

Sweet!! Congrats!!

Old 01-07-2005, 08:13 PM
Bubbaboy
New User
It's the LOM

I have a 1997 Explorer EB and was having the same issue... High beams worked, passenger low beam worked, fog lamps worked, but driver side low beam didn't work. Checked the fuses, replaced the bulbs and still no driver side low beam.. Thank you to the person that suggested the problem was the Lamp Out Module.

First let me explain I'm a CPA and I don't know much (if anything) about repairing cars but just in case anyone else has this problem and wants to try to fix it on there own here are my two cents...

As someone else indicated the LOM in the 1997 Explorer EB is located in the center consol. The center consol isn't screwed in so you just need to pull on it to get it to pop out. I would recommend unhooking the computer (the one that shows your oil life and average speed...) to get it out of the way. You just have to pull out the three seperate connections. Once the computer is out of the way you will see the LOM screwed in with two screws on the right side of the bottom half of the center consol. Its black and there are a bunch of wires hooked into it.

Unscrew the two screws and you can pull it out. You will know it is the LOM because on the back there will be a sticker on it that says its the Lamps off Module. The wire connecter does come off if you pull hard enough and push in the little plastic thing in the middle... I had to pull fairly hard to get this thing off.

If you get this far then what your left with is a black case that has three hooks... take a screwdriver and pull the hooks apart to reveal the electronic component inside....

Now as I mentioned I'm a CPA and I know even less about electronics than cars, but if you flip that component over (the side without the transistors) you might notice that one of the connections (very small) doesn't appear to be soldered as well as all of the others. You will find it towards one of the corners.

I drove down to Radio Shack and slapped down a cool ten bucks for a soldering iron and let it heat up and just put the smallest amount of solder on that connection... It was easy, even for me...

Hooked and screwed everything back together and what do you know... LOW BEAM WORKS....

Good Luck