Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > International Region > Australia Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Australia Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: ChunderDownUnder

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-31-2013, 05:06 AM
Junior User

Fraree is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up Driving at last

Hey to one & all, finally put my 2001 F250 ambo on the road last Friday.
Bought it back in January (drove back from Melbourne and parked it) as a future tow vehicle for van when the wife and I head off touring etc.
Purchased it mainly for the fully enclosed & central locking back, trayback utes aren't very secure at the best of times but when you're in unknown territory !
So, until we head out, it's replaced my patrol trayback as a work truck. Can't stop smiling the long wheelbase just glides over these lovely regional back roads and that big 7.3 with auto and cruise control
Driving home this arvo through the wheat fields, had to turn on the recently replaced and upgraded CD/Mp3 from "factory radio" and listen Johnny Cougar. As you may have noticed I'm pretty happy with my Effy
Cheers Russ
Old 10-31-2013, 02:22 PM
Senior User

aussie_f350 has a good reputation on FTE.aussie_f350 has a good reputation on FTE.
My truck is ex ambo as well, they are the most over-maintained vehicles in the world so at least that's peace of mind!!
Post up some pictures! Did you buy private or at auction?
Old 10-31-2013, 02:33 PM
Junior User

Talking

Found it on 'g' tree at dealer in Melbourne. Was looking for a 250 and they were all dual cab 4x4, $50k and upwards for '04 onwards with 250-300k mileage. Only paid half that !
I've put some pic's in my garage on here, haven't got enough access on here yet to post pic's. Still had a lot of reflective tape in the back then. They're stickier to remove than dung to a blanket

Cheers Russ
Old 11-16-2013, 02:34 AM
Junior User

Talking Another happy driver

My son came around today, grabbed the keys of the ambo with a big grin. Came back an hour later with an even bigger grin. He hadn't driven it since we brought it back from Melbourne earlier in the year. No further comment needed
Old 11-17-2013, 05:06 AM
Senior User

aussie_f350 has a good reputation on FTE.aussie_f350 has a good reputation on FTE.
That's cool mate! I have to check out your garage!
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...ck-thread.html
Old 11-17-2013, 05:14 AM
Senior User

I looked at the truck you got, nearly brought it but got mine. It's an early super duty that was bought in and converted for ambos! It's not a Brazilian built one! There is a few differences but nothing major, little things like the dash vents and I think yours still has a foot hand brake?. Will be an early forged rod engine too!
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...ck-thread.html
Old 11-17-2013, 12:56 PM
Junior User

Talking

Yep, body was built in Brisbane. ID plate shows it was built in April 2001, also says "vehicle development corporation". Maybe where they build special order vehicles.
Sorting out the load sensing suspension what a bit of an ordeal until we found a third battery in a compartment in front of the right rear wheel !
I don't really need a 4WD as the wife has a 4WD X Trail, so just a tow vehicle for our 25' van. The enclosed rear body is another reason it suits us for securing all the equipment while were on our travels.

Removing that reflective tape has been a nightmare, worse than dung to a blanket
Old 11-17-2013, 05:14 PM
Internet Brands

BigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputation
adrian.erks.harris adrianerksharris
Not sure if you have an auto store that sells something for that? I use Goo-Gone (a US product) and it removes any sticker really easily.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:58 PM
Senior User

Brad from Oz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Brad from Oz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Is the tape on the outside? I know 3M make a buffer disk especially for buffing pressure sensitive vinyl off vehicle paintwork.

Inside I'd try eucalyptus oil to soften and remove the adhesive if you can't buff it off.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...beRJ5GMFSMV0gl
Old 11-18-2013, 02:27 AM
Junior User

Unhappy

Thanks for the hint and the link Brad. The top reflective layer came off resonably well but lifting the backing was another story. Tried thinners, turpentine, metho and water, plastic scrapers with steam (the handy little "shark"). For the glue, turps for a bit of a rub to soften the glue, then the dry part of the rag to roll it up like a drying silicone ball, then turps to remove the black smear. Very time consuming, not to mention chips out of the super thin paint
I'm in regional, semi remote, rural Australia, so, unfortunately, shops (stores) only stock fast selling lines/products, the basics that's it.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:56 PM
Senior User

Aussie BrianB is starting off with a positive reputation.
Have you tried acetone?
Should be available at any hardware store.
Test it somewhere inconspicuous first, it might atack the paint.
LP oil press, EGT, tranny temp & boost gauges.
315/75 R16 Coopers.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:25 PM
Junior User

Thumbs up Jobs done now

Thanks for all the hints but the jobs' done & dusted. Next job is installing a trailer brake controller.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:46 AM
Posting Guru

SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.
Hey Russ, allegedly there is a wiring loom under the dash that some brake controllers will plug straight into. There was a thread on it in the US 1999-2003 forum.

See: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/56...ontroller.html

I've never had the pleasure of fossicking around for the plug as my effie had one already fitted courtesy of the PO.
MODS: Hutch,ICboots,plenum inserts,IH uppies,G2WW,HPx,AIH delete,EBPV delete,hi flow outlet,CCV mod,OCR,Zoodad,6637,4" TB exhaust,JW VB,coolant filter,FRx,'05 HD lights with switch bypass relays,B20 ready fuel system(3 filters).Stratos truck seats,rear head rests,LED running lights, 285-75-16s. Gauges:EGTx2,Boost,Trans temp,Fuel pressure,Eng oil temp, Coolant temp, Edge CS, PHP tuner
NOT done: big oil, big brakes, big turbo. Next Mods? None - I'm done!
Australia: where Mechanics use spanners & Plumbers use wrenches
Old 11-19-2013, 05:20 AM
Junior User

Thanks Simon, I trawled the site a week or so back for that info, thanks for posting the link, makes finding the info again easy.
I've yet to pull the plate out from under the dash, been busy connecting up some rear vision wiring and cameras. Someone said the open plug could even be in the centre of the truck. I'm waiting for the ford connection plug to hook in so I don't have to cut into the existing wiring to connect the Redarc controller.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:20 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > International Region > Australia Chapter