Sponsored by: Moser

New to forums/Intro

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 01:34 PM
77beater150
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New to forums/Intro

Hello from the Pacific Northwest. I recently bought a 1977 F150 for $700 as a yard truck/going to dump/take kids for ice cream/tinker project vehicle. It will for sure be a extreme budget project. I prefer rust over shiny paint, so it will fit me nicely. It needs some work, and I am not exactly the handiest with a wrench. Haven't had to work on my own vehicle since high school. Off to the interwebs I went searching for starting points.

I have been reading another forum for a week, and then I discovered this one. I've found more useful info here in 2 days. Amazing forums here, and amazing projects. I'll be posting more soon.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:56 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:40 PM
Tees77f150
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome, bro, you found the best, there are plenty of VERY knowledgeable people who are here to help. Just do a search for what your looking for, and if you can't find it, just ask, you will get plenty of help in no time at all.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:57 PM
march
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
It wasn't too many years ago I bought my first old Ford Truck for $600........Now on my fourth. Really didn't know too much when I started, but with great help from folks like the one on this forum I have done lots of work I would never have imagined. Even rebuilt an auto tranny...

Welcome to the forum. I'm in Kitsap Co. Where are you?

Old 10-30-2013, 10:21 PM
buttwheat
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome fellow Northwesterner (is that even a word)

Old 10-30-2013, 11:12 PM
blue04.5
Posting Guru
Have any pictures of said truck bud?

Old 10-31-2013, 10:55 AM
77beater150
Junior User
I live in Tacoma. Here are some pics as it sits:

It's got a 351M, and came with a new ignition control (some janky brand), new solenoid, new cap/wires/plugs, new battery, has a new (reman) power steering pump/hoses, new exhaust a few months back. PO said he bought it to move, lives at a marina and his uppity neighbors said it was an eyesore, so it had to go. Fluid levels were good, tranny fluid didn't smell toasty, oil looked good, brake fluid levels were good. Runs like a champ. Floors are in tact. Cab doesn't leak. All the lights work. The tires have plenty of tread.

Issues: brake pedal works, but doesn't come back. You have to lift it with your foot to disengage brakes. I'm hoping it's just a brake booster.

When you turn either way, it sounds like a rusty battleship door. I'm hoping the bone dry zerk fittings are a clue that it just needs some lube.

When at idle at a stop, the oil light comes on. I've read that there is a common issue with the pump sending unit location that causes a low reading when at idle. I have no idea if this is snake oil mentality, or not. Soon as you go, the light goes off. Doesn't come on when in park.

Front bumper is only half there. Passenger side of bumper was torched off.

No tailgate.

I just occurred to me that I have never tested the wipers.

A guy that works for me has a '79 that he is gonna scrap, and all the parts I need, he has (bumpers, air cleaner assembly, interior and exterior trim parts, stock radio). I can pretty much get all of it for a song. My goal is to get this road worthy and safe for $1000 total. That's the starting plan so far!

Old 10-31-2013, 11:06 AM
BleednBlue68
Senior User
Welcome and nice old truck! Looks like a great project truck to start with. Could be the oilpump gettin weak. They had issues. My 77F250 with the 351m has low oil pressure at idle and its got the high volume oil pump. Of course its got over 194k on it. Lots of good people and great info on here.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:01 PM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Good lookin rig! Check out the Washington chapter of the forum. It's been kinda quiet recently, but we try to hold monthly meets. Quite a few people are south of seattle, so you'll fit right in.

-Jameson

Old 10-31-2013, 11:24 PM
Tonkatoy77
Senior User
Where do you have meets? I haven't had my ford out for a few months and wouldn't mind taking on a little trip up north.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:00 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by 77beater150
I live in Tacoma. Here are some pics as it sits:

It's got a 351M, and came with a new ignition control (some janky brand), new solenoid, new cap/wires/plugs, new battery, has a new (reman) power steering pump/hoses, new exhaust a few months back. PO said he bought it to move, lives at a marina and his uppity neighbors said it was an eyesore, so it had to go. Fluid levels were good, tranny fluid didn't smell toasty, oil looked good, brake fluid levels were good. Runs like a champ. Floors are in tact. Cab doesn't leak. All the lights work. The tires have plenty of tread.

Issues: brake pedal works, but doesn't come back. You have to lift it with your foot to disengage brakes. I'm hoping it's just a brake booster.

When you turn either way, it sounds like a rusty battleship door. I'm hoping the bone dry zerk fittings are a clue that it just needs some lube.

When at idle at a stop, the oil light comes on. I've read that there is a common issue with the pump sending unit location that causes a low reading when at idle. I have no idea if this is snake oil mentality, or not. Soon as you go, the light goes off. Doesn't come on when in park.

Front bumper is only half there. Passenger side of bumper was torched off.

No tailgate.

I just occurred to me that I have never tested the wipers.

A guy that works for me has a '79 that he is gonna scrap, and all the parts I need, he has (bumpers, air cleaner assembly, interior and exterior trim parts, stock radio). I can pretty much get all of it for a song. My goal is to get this road worthy and safe for $1000 total. That's the starting plan so far!
Yeah, I'm thinkin' you're gonna need wipers in the murky northwest.

Sounds like a fun lil project. As far as an eyesore? Hardly! It's amazing how a good wash, a set of hubcaps, elbow grease, and intact body parts can do.

In fact, it looks like that paint will shine up. Try using some Bon-Ami or other light cleanser to remove the grunge and oxidation. Then apply some wax and be amazed. Check out how the underside of my hood came out: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post13669887

Old 11-01-2013, 01:28 PM
77beater150
Junior User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Yeah, I'm thinkin' you're gonna need wipers in the murky northwest.

Sounds like a fun lil project. As far as an eyesore? Hardly! It's amazing how a good wash, a set of hubcaps, elbow grease, and intact body parts can do.

In fact, it looks like that paint will shine up. Try using some Bon-Ami or other light cleanser to remove the grunge and oxidation. Then apply some wax and be amazed. Check out how the underside of my hood came out: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post13669887
That is amazing. I'll def try out the Bon Ami.

I've already been hunting out a set of dog dish caps. No luck so far, but I'm in no rush.

I actually tested the wipers, work like a champ, and even the blades are in great shape, perfect for my low buck project. A pal of mine is replacing the tie-rods and adjustor sleeve today, along with a new brake booster. He owed me, so we're doing a swap. I drove it to his place across town, and even with the sketchy steering & half-functioning brake pedal, it was a total blast to drive. Such a good running truck. Next week I'm getting it aligned and that should bring it up to road safe/road worthy status.

My pal has a '79 that he's parting out. It has a good set of bumpers & side mirrors that I need. Grabbing some trim, a few nuts & bolts, and I'll be on my way.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:54 PM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Tonkatoy77
Where do you have meets? I haven't had my ford out for a few months and wouldn't mind taking on a little trip up north.
For the past few months, we've been holding them down in Kent. Us northern folks don't come down for those. We has one up Kirkland back in January that most of us attended. But trying to convince the southern people to come up is kinda difficult

Old 06-18-2015, 03:31 PM
mikeparker65
New User
Originally Posted by grinnergetter
Welcome aboard.
I'm trying to find a 74 super camper special can anyone help in my quest?