Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-29-2013, 07:32 PM
New User

97anny is starting off with a positive reputation.
Diesel Cold Weather Starting?

Looking at buying a diesel Ex. It would be the wife's daily driver. We live in Saskatchewan were is gets cold and I mean cold in the winter. Where she works there is no place to plug in, so my question is how cold can it get before it would need to be plugged in? Thought about a remote starter and have her start is every couple of hours when its really cold. But how much fuel is that going to use?
It would be in a heated garage when parked at home.

thanks
Old 10-29-2013, 07:59 PM
Posting Guru

wallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud of
Go into the 6.0 forum and ask there. Probably get quicker response.

If you go with remote start you will want to go high idle mod or have issues with turbo soot build up. Probably about -10 C and you want to be plugged in.

How far of a commute to work?

There are diesels all over in the north cold winters, so nothing new there, and even with gas engines if there are no plugs at work it is a good idea to run engine every few hours. I'm in the Yukon, so we know what winter is, but I have plugs at work.
2002 Excursion, 4x4, V-10, XLT, RS9000 shocks, true trac diff, 08 alum diff cover, interior light delete, 08 power fold/xtend mirrors, KM2 tires, 5 Star tuned, front cryo powerslots with hawk pads, XRF ball joints. 50" front mounted LED bar, 10" reverse light LED bar. Banks stainless long tube headers and exhaust kit., front seat heaters.
2011 Expedition, Ltd Max, 4x4. 30" LED light bar, flip key fob, 9 passenger, more to come.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:09 PM
WVO Hacker

mankypro is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have a 7.3, just moved to Norcal after owning my 7.3 X in Boulder, CO for 5 years.

Diesels like to be warm.

They operate the best at the top of their temp range. I like to plug in whenever it drops below freezing, it makes starts easier and the truck warms up much faster. The faster everything comes to temp the better the performance, less wear on parts. There simply is no reason not to plug in overnight if you have the ability. You can purchase one of these:

Amazon.com: Farm Innovators TC-3 Cold Weather Thermo Cube Thermostatically Controlled Outlet - On at 35-Degrees/Off at 45-Degrees: Patio, Lawn & Garden Amazon.com: Farm Innovators TC-3 Cold Weather Thermo Cube Thermostatically Controlled Outlet - On at 35-Degrees/Off at 45-Degrees: Patio, Lawn & Garden

for when it's hovering around freezing. Use it. You and the wife will be happier. Use the heaviest gauge extension cord you can find for it.

I would also get a 203F thermostat for it: http://www.dieselsite.com/dieselsite203thermostat.aspx if it's a 7.3
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3l PSD, 4x4, 4" BDS Lift, 18x9 XD Monster 778 Wheels, 295/70/R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, VegiStroke style home-brew WVO conversion, 4" cat back Stainless Steel MBRP exhaust, MotorCraft AIS intake, DieselSite Coolant Filter Kit, CAT ELP Coolant "The Red Stuff", 203F Thermostat, Billet Aluminum Thermostat Housing, DieselSite Engine Complete Boot kit, SuperDuty Transmission Cooler, 100k+ on Waste Vegetable Oil.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:38 PM
New User

Probably about a 20-25min commute. Some stop and go, and freeway.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:52 PM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallz View Post
Go into the 6.0 forum and ask there.
97anny, before you do that, tell us which diesel engine you plan on getting.

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 10-29-2013, 09:56 PM
WVO Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97anny View Post
Probably about a 20-25min commute. Some stop and go, and freeway.
I'd say you'd be better off with a gasser. But if you're set on a diesel definitely plug it in, it will just be getting up to temp when it's time to park.
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3l PSD, 4x4, 4" BDS Lift, 18x9 XD Monster 778 Wheels, 295/70/R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, VegiStroke style home-brew WVO conversion, 4" cat back Stainless Steel MBRP exhaust, MotorCraft AIS intake, DieselSite Coolant Filter Kit, CAT ELP Coolant "The Red Stuff", 203F Thermostat, Billet Aluminum Thermostat Housing, DieselSite Engine Complete Boot kit, SuperDuty Transmission Cooler, 100k+ on Waste Vegetable Oil.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:58 PM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankypro View Post
I'd say you'd be better off with a gasser. But if you're set on a diesel definitely plug it in, it will just be getting up to temp when it's time to park.
You missed this part.

Quote:
Where she works there is no place to plug in, so my question is how cold can it get before it would need to be plugged in?
Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 10-29-2013, 10:10 PM
WVO Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post
You missed this part.
Stewart
Once the truck has warmed up, it should be ok for several hours how many hours will it be parked before starting it again? That said a properly maintained glow plug system will start a truck in -19f - I did it for years. Your mileage will be shyte and it'll chug a bit till it warms up.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:03 PM
New User

It would be parked outside for 8hrs
The ones I have been looking at are the 6.0l.
Found a 05 with only 98000km or 61000miles
Fully loaded with dvd and 2nd row captain chairs. They want $17000

Last edited by 97anny; 10-29-2013 at 11:29 PM. Reason: b/c
Old 10-30-2013, 01:06 AM

Quote:
It would be parked outside for 8hrs
The ones I have been looking at are the 6.0l.
In that case, it's off to the 6.0L PSD forum!

The guys there can get you dialed in on what to expect with the 6.0 and very cold weather.

Stewart
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 10-30-2013, 07:41 AM
Posting Guru

MC5C has a very good reputation on FTE.MC5C has a very good reputation on FTE.MC5C has a very good reputation on FTE.
If you pony up for the 0W-40 synthetic oil and new batteries you should be fine. It gets cold in rural Nova Scotia, down to -20C I never plug in during the day and starts are fine. In fact I rarely plug it in at all. But - motels up north around Edmunston have plug-ins at all the parking spots, just noticed that last year.

Brian
Old 10-30-2013, 07:51 AM
Elder User

big inch has a good reputation on FTE.big inch has a good reputation on FTE.big inch has a good reputation on FTE.
Daniel Hardee
According to Ford, the 6.0l is designed to start down to -10*F without being plugged in. I would suspect that with the correct oil, good batteries and glow plug system, that it should start below that if only sitting for 8 hours or so during the day.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:53 AM
Postmaster

sammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallz View Post
Go into the 6.0 forum and ask there. Probably get quicker response.

If you go with remote start you will want to go high idle mod or have issues with turbo soot build up. Probably about -10 C and you want to be plugged in.

How far of a commute to work?

There are diesels all over in the north cold winters, so nothing new there, and even with gas engines if there are no plugs at work it is a good idea to run engine every few hours. I'm in the Yukon, so we know what winter is, but I have plugs at work.

I'd get a remote start for sure. I'll never own another diesel without one. If you have the latest flash, it cycles the turbo to help.
'05 F350 6.0 SOLD Problem Free..
Old 10-30-2013, 03:08 PM
Certified Thread Hijacker

Bullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud of
joshjones.thewelder
5W40 or even better 0W40 is no issue at all, no need to plug in.

Josh

2006 F250 XLT 6.0 PowerStroke Diesel 4X4: SRL Custom Tune Atlas 40 FICM Rotella 0W40 DASHBOSS Ford VCM II IDS Custom Y-Pipe Fabrication
Old 10-30-2013, 04:12 PM
Avid Winter Hater

MisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankypro View Post

Nah, mine is warned up when I get to work. My drive is 5 miles and 10 minutes.

These are the humble words of MisterCMK sent on the go...
Hope & A Prayer Motorsports
Old 10-30-2013, 04:12 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel