1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission is confused

Old 10-28-2013, 11:29 PM
BossGasser
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission is confused

After the hard downshifting full throttle highway run low speed stomp on it freeway cruising tires spinning on gravel crawling through town day yesterday -
my tranny just doesn't know what to do!! LOL!!
One thing that it does like to do is make that 6.2 spin and sing!
Eventually we'll be on the same page so we can work and play seamlessly.
I'm looking forward to this new friendship.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:41 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 296 Likes on 156 Posts
Now I'm confused...

Old 10-29-2013, 12:27 PM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 10-29-2013, 12:49 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
a comment on ford's "adaptive shift" strategy and its ability to learn how the driver drives in order to provide a better quality shift.

in my experience, their learning strategy rides the short bus to school.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:02 PM
Fastfwd
Senior User
Originally Posted by meborder
in my experience, their learning strategy rides the short bus to school.

I wish we had a selector like some Subarus have. Economy and sport mode. I have only spun rear tires spin a few times on wet and possibly oily starts from red lights. I think this will be a much worse problem this winter. I have the 4.3 ratio.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:28 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep mine shifts the same way, I call it lazy, especially the 2-3 shift. Then if you are slowing down and almost come to a stop and then punch it, it does nothing, it doesn't know what to do. Count to two and then it takes off, this really annoys me as it could be dangerous.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:12 PM
BossGasser
Elder User
"a comment on ford's "adaptive shift" strategy and its ability to learn how the driver drives in order to provide a better quality shift.

in my experience, their learning strategy rides the short bus to school."
Yup.

"Then if you are slowing down and almost come to a stop and then punch it, it does nothing, it doesn't know what to do"

It doesn't "un"learn that?

I was planning on tuning sometime down the road but I've got to get the tranny to knock that sh#t off.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:55 PM
Shovel Monkey
Freshman User
I kinda know what you mean, had a situation on I64 few weeks back when I needed to pop out from behind a slow/stopping for no reason car in front of moving at interstate speed traffic.

Dang truck droped from 6th to 2nd, then to 4th then back to 3rd and took off like a bat out of a hot place with that 6.2 screaming like it was getting raped.
I let out of it as soon as I could and it shifted normally, I did not like to do the truck that way with less then 1k on the clock, but had no choice unless I was to either run over that stopping car or get ran over.....

I do have to say that 6.2 has some power when the trans makes up its mind where it wants to be....

Old 10-30-2013, 05:45 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BossGasser
After the hard downshifting full throttle highway run low speed stomp on it freeway cruising tires spinning on gravel crawling through town day yesterday -
This is code for 6.2 owners only...

Honestly, I can't stop laughing, no amount of punctuation will save this.

Welcome to FTE BG!

And for what it's worth, nothing will help the stock shift strategies except a tuner. Stock sucks!

Old 10-30-2013, 05:53 PM
redford
Received 1,549 Likes on 904 Posts
Doesn't your truck have the option to shift manually?

Old 10-30-2013, 06:30 PM
lawnspecialties
More Turbo
Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts
Two biggest disappointments in my new 2013 F350 with the 6.2.

1. The ridiculously weak rear springs.

2. The 6-speed's inability to let the truck's torque do its thing. My 2004 5.4L works much better with just the 4 gears. This 6-speed just shifts and shifts and shifts all day long with a load behind it. I hope the cooler on the thing is HUGE.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:59 PM
BossGasser
Elder User
Originally Posted by redford
Doesn't your truck have the option to shift manually?
Yes.
I used it many, many times for downshifting and to vary the rpm's on the highway.
I bought a 6.2 gasser with an automatic, not a 6.2 gasser with a retard.

If it can't learn then it will get shock treatment until it does what I want.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:28 PM
vloney
Postmaster

At the Ford training center they have a 2011 F250 there that they use for training and hauling around equipment. The instructor said "It has a hard 2/3 shift and a harsh 3/2 downshift". The funny part......"Why does it do that? I taught it!" You get a new truck and you want to see how much power it has, so you punch it! His was in the 2/3 shift, so, it learned it. So, ask yourself, "Am I causing this?" Many of these trucks you can actually repair them by resetting perameters then taking it for a drive and drive it sensibly. Then giving it back to the customer.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:08 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
very true, but then when the customer steps on it again, it will get all confused.

the best thing i have found is to either always drive the same, no matter what (which is impossible)

or randomly change your driving style. drive it hard for a couple starts then drive it easy a couple starts, then somewhere in between a few times.

then at varying cruising speeds, randomly mash the gas a few times in a row, then step into it easy a few times in a row.

doing this has taught my work truck to shift reasonably no mater what i do on the road.

at least it seemed to work in my half ton .... after almost 30k, it seems to have figured out that it can't figure me out.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:19 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Originally Posted by meborder
very true, but then when the customer steps on it again, it will get all confused.

the best thing i have found is to either always drive the same, no matter what (which is impossible)

or randomly change your driving style. drive it hard for a couple starts then drive it easy a couple starts, then somewhere in between a few times.

then at varying cruising speeds, randomly mash the gas a few times in a row, then step into it easy a few times in a row.

doing this has taught my work truck to shift reasonably no mater what i do on the road.

at least it seemed to work in my half ton .... after almost 30k, it seems to have figured out that it can't figure me out.
Yep, vary your driving style, and it doesn't know what to do. We've got military here. Husband drives the truck usually. Husband gets deployed, wife starts driving it. She drives differently than hubby, not as "agressively". She brings it in for harsh shifting. We reset perameters, she's happy. Hubby comes home, he's not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission is confused