1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Well I blew it, literally...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 06:11 PM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
I Concur with oldmerc. My 351C had sat for 30 years. I cleaned it up and got it started, ran pretty good but wanted to not worry about what shape it was really in. So I pulled it and tore it down. Looked pretty good but took it to a machine shop to boil it out and check everything. They called me back the next day and asked me to drop by. They showed me I had one warped head and a cylinder that had been run with rust pitting almost the whole way down the cylinder. They said they could mill the head (and the other to match) but would have to bore the block .030. So new pistons, rings bearings and Cam ( a lobe was knocked off). And I thought I was done, Oh NO. The machine shop recommends I have the head pressure checked as 351s we're know to leak coolant inside the intake passages befor the Valve. You guessed it needed to go find one head because it was leaking.
Moral to the story: If you want a reliable engine you better tear it down and go through everything BEFORE you get it in your vehicle.
Obviously not one of those engines that you see advertised as rebuilt 2000 miles before pulled out . Which always poses the question .....WHY

Old 10-29-2013, 06:40 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by ohbrian
.... It rusted right through, dont know who thought steel plugs were the way to go, I'm sure the others can't be far behind it. .....
Nothing wrong with steel, and they are normally galvanized. It's that the PO wasn't good about coolant quality, and regular changes. It turns acidic after a while. As I recall your radiator was bad too? Better check the heater core!

Old 10-29-2013, 08:44 PM
ohbrian
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The radiator was absolutely demolished, I put in a new one. I won't ever use the heater so I'm thinking about just bypassing it and avoiding any future issues with it. Hope it's ok to do that...

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Nothing wrong with steel, and they are normally galvanized. It's that the PO wasn't good about coolant quality, and regular changes. It turns acidic after a while. As I recall your radiator was bad too? Better check the heater core!

Old 10-29-2013, 08:46 PM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
If however you are concerned that you might outlive steel frost plugs with modern antifreeze you can always use brass.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:30 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
I'd opt for brass freeze plugs and don't order anything until the machine shop tells you what the real deal is. I thought I was just going to freshen up mine but the machine shop let me know differently!!!! If all you have to do is bearings, rings, and a rebuild set you should be able to keep it under $700.00 including a valve job. Unfortunately I wasn't that lucky. Be sure to add hardened intake seats!!! Wishing you the best!!!

Old 10-29-2013, 11:54 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Before committing to a rebuild, have the block and heads checked and get a quote for the machining then compare the cost to buying a rebuilt shortblock and/or long block from a national rebuilder like Jasper that includes a realistic length warantee. I would never spend 4K for a rebuilt longblock! I'd put in a late model low mileage engine and tranny that I could hear run and/or drive for significantly less than 1/2 the rebuild cost.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:54 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree that ya can't beat a Jasper engine. I have installed many back in the day when I was running my shop. Never had any problem with there work. Just get one the same as ya got now (A long Block so the heads are done) and bolt yer stuff to it. And yer driving in a weekend.

Yes I could overhaul them for less than a Jasper Long block plus shipping. But not when I added in my time that would be used for other work in the shop.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:04 PM
ohbrian
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reading their website it looks like you have to get it through an installer?

Originally Posted by arctic y block
I agree that ya can't beat a Jasper engine. I have installed many back in the day when I was running my shop. Never had any problem with there work. Just get one the same as ya got now (A long Block so the heads are done) and bolt yer stuff to it. And yer driving in a weekend.

Yes I could overhaul them for less than a Jasper Long block plus shipping. But not when I added in my time that would be used for other work in the shop.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:10 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts