1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

A 54k mile 1970 Ranger Followed me Home Yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 06:41 PM
Boss9F100
Logistics Pro
Received 266 Likes on 178 Posts
quite the job but the front end is done! Everything tight, replaced radius rod bushings and pivot bushings. The rest of steering etc is like new yet. A testament to the low miles.

Engine done

Old 11-22-2013, 06:42 PM
Boss9F100
Logistics Pro
Old 11-22-2013, 07:16 PM
6t6merc
Cargo Master
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Very impressive Randy. I have two questions:
1.I've never seen that compressor to exhaust manifold brace even though I have what I think is a complete C7 pickup AC setup. Can you comment?
2.Why is there no dirt in your universe?
Eric

Old 11-22-2013, 08:57 PM
Boss9F100
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 6t6merc
Very impressive Randy. I have two questions:
1.I've never seen that compressor to exhaust manifold brace even though I have what I think is a complete C7 pickup AC setup. Can you comment?
2.Why is there no dirt in your universe?
Eric
Pretty sure that exhaust to compressor brace has been used since around 1965 at least on the FE. The water pump to compressor brace since at least 1968.

Special spacer, bolt and washers for the Exhaust to compressor brace. The compressor brace bolt also holds on the wire for clutch.

Pretty sure my 66 F100 has that brace also. There is a threaded area on manifold for brace to attach to.

Thats why I get carried away when I take something apart is I dont like DIRT! LOL

I tear stuff apart just to get the dirt out of the cracks . . Turns into a full blown re-do instead . .

Old 11-23-2013, 12:56 PM
SixtySix Ford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice job Randy!!!

Old 11-24-2013, 07:43 PM
RJP66F100
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 6t6merc
Very impressive Randy.Why is there no dirt in your universe?
Eric
Haha...

Old 11-24-2013, 07:55 PM
RJP66F100
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Boss9F100
Thats why I get carried away when I take something apart is I dont like DIRT! LOL

I tear stuff apart just to get the dirt out of the cracks . . Turns into a full blown re-do instead . .
I've got the same "disorder"...but I don't get quite the results you do, Randy! I'm still trying to "renew" a 90 Mustang currently, went and looked at a 70 Mach 1 yesterday that needs to follow me home.

You make'em look new.

Could ya not bring yourself to put it back in two barrel mode?

Old 11-24-2013, 09:41 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Pretty sure that exhaust to compressor brace has been used since around 1965 at least on the FE. The water pump to compressor brace since at least 1968.

Special spacer, bolt and washers for the Exhaust to compressor brace. The compressor brace bolt also holds on the wire for clutch.

Pretty sure my 66 F100 has that brace also. There is a threaded area on manifold for brace to attach to.

Yep, I've got the same syndrome. It's taking quite a bit of discipline to not disturb the exterior patina on my '70. The engine compartment, engine, and drivetrain are another matter.

Nice resto/mod there Boss. I dig your attention to detail.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:36 PM
76'SuperCab
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Absolutely my favorite current thread on the entire forum. Everything is looking sweet. The pics are helpful for those of us who can't make out the individual parts on our trucks under all the grease and dirt.

Norm

Old 11-25-2013, 12:55 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Yep. Good job as usual Randy!

Old 11-25-2013, 11:07 PM
Boss9F100
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by SixtySix Ford
Nice job Randy!!!
Thanks! Did not really need this big of a job right now . .

Originally Posted by RJP66F100
I've got the same "disorder"...but I don't get quite the results you do, Randy! I'm still trying to "renew" a 90 Mustang currently, went and looked at a 70 Mach 1 yesterday that needs to follow me home.

You make'em look new.

Could ya not bring yourself to put it back in two barrel mode?
Pics of the '70? 428 or Cleveland car?
Saved all the 2v intake, carb & parts but for now will stay 4V
If I ever decide to pull cab & box, blast frame etc maybe then. Running out of time as have to have it going in less than 30days. Too much other stuff going on. 2-3 Trips to the doc each week on the opposite side of town . . .

Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Yep, I've got the same syndrome. It's taking quite a bit of discipline to not disturb the exterior patina on my '70. The engine compartment, engine, and drivetrain are another matter.

Nice resto/mod there Boss. I dig your attention to detail.
Thanks! The paint and body are nice enough no need to tear it any further apart.

Originally Posted by 76'SuperCab
Absolutely my favorite current thread on the entire forum. Everything is looking sweet. The pics are helpful for those of us who can't make out the individual parts on our trucks under all the grease and dirt.

Norm
Thanks! I got more pics I can post if you like "numbers". I usually take hundreds if not thousands of pics when I do something like this, but not so much on this truck although have plenty.

Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
Yep. Good job as usual Randy!
Thanks Jeff!

A few pics for those that like the detail type pics. Original A/C compressor, and where its at now. Gettin' too old for this stuff. LOL

Note the OIL stamp on compressor, I was able to save it along with other markings.

Here is a pic of a 1966 & 1970 F250 Ranger's. The '66 F250 Rangers are Ultra Rare, this one has the deluxe camper special package too.

Note the barely there wear spot on clutch fork. Kind of poor pics. Does not appear the clutch has been used much. Another testimony to the low miles.
Also note the bright blue factory paint dab. Fork cleaned up nice!

Old 11-25-2013, 11:34 PM
Boss9F100
Logistics Pro
Proportioning valve with date of May 11th 1969

Bellhousing was dated November 5th 1969 Distributor was also November 5th 1969

Disc Brake Calipers Dated K4 9 J5 9

Old 11-26-2013, 11:42 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My '67 F100 did not have that brace for the a/c. Didn't think anyone had removed it, but it was not there. It had the top one as shown.

I have a couple friends that are super **** about projects. Days and weeks spent cleaning and detailing. I've love to have something that clean, but I don't have the time to keep it that way. I'm getting lazier as I get older....

This is what I get to put up with in Rustbelt: The body was gone, but the truck was very unmolested and had many good parts to sell off.

Keeping an eye on your progress

Old 11-26-2013, 12:31 PM
Boss9F100
Logistics Pro
WoW ! That cab is rusty.

I looked up the ford illustration and it shows the braces exactly as my truck has.

Your system looks like the dealer add on system and not a factory deal.
The brace that goes to top of your compressor is actually in wrong spot. It goes to pass front intake manifold bolt then to the "Idler" bracket for support.
Other braces appear missing.

Looks like a lot of parts on yours have been removed or replaced?

Originally Posted by Freightrain
My '67 F100 did not have that brace for the a/c. Didn't think anyone had removed it, but it was not there. It had the top one as shown.

I have a couple friends that are super **** about projects. Days and weeks spent cleaning and detailing. I've love to have something that clean, but I don't have the time to keep it that way. I'm getting lazier as I get older....

This is what I get to put up with in Rustbelt: The body was gone, but the truck was very unmolested and had many good parts to sell off.

Keeping an eye on your progress

Old 01-01-2014, 07:38 PM
Boss9F100
Logistics Pro
Uploaded a bunch of new pics to my photobucket and it asked if I wanted to scramble file names. I had no clue it would re-scramble every pic in every album.

Not FTE will not allow me to edit posts to re-attach the pics.

I have made a bit more progress on truck during the Holiday's, lost 30 days again with health and $$ issues.

At this point I have started to install the front clip, the fender, tailgate, and bumper rock shield are painted.

Will take pics at end of day and post them soon.

Well over 300 hrs has been spent on truck at this point, probably another 100hrs to go. No way I am going to make the R-S Auction as would have to have it done a week from now. Still plugging away on it when I can.

This truck had not been driven since the early 80's so its got a lot of years of dirt collected, friend whom I bought it from did a basic cleanup but still years of dirt to come off.

A bit ago I used a foam pad and rubbing compound on a window because it looked so hazy. Simply . . . A M A Z I N G . . How nice it is once buffed. Now I need to buff all glass inside and out to make it look new again . . Factory Tinted Glass too.

And yeah a few of re-plated nuts, bolts & hardware made it on to the truck.

I really like the way the aprons turned out. By adding a less amount of matting compound they are not gloss but not SG either. Just BLACK!

Quick Reply: A 54k mile 1970 Ranger Followed me Home Yesterday