Sponsored by:

back door wont lock

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Servinghim
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
back door wont lock

I've searched the forums a bit but haven't found a definitive answer on my problem.

My back hatch door on my Ex won't lock.

Sadly anyone could climb through the back after I 'lock' it via remote. I have the standard ford sec systm which is just locking and need auth key to start.

Appreciate any solid leads I can get for my 2001

Old 01-04-2011, 08:49 PM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your lock actuator is broken. iirc it takes a driver side actuator and you can pick one up at autozone for 60 bones with a lifetime warranty. not hard to change just take off the plastic surround on the liftgate and the actuator sits right there. get the new one first so you can see how it will come off, snap in the new one and voila......

Old 01-04-2011, 09:06 PM
jeronlines
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
or, search for the door lock actuator fix. Complete the repair and reinstall...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-pictures.html

See if that helps...

Old 01-04-2011, 09:35 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Serving,

I had the same issue on my 2000. My locking Selenoid went bad, but also the locking rod gets a little bent and needs straightening and some lube on all moving parts to fix. Remove the back handle (2 screws) and gently pry the plastic cover off the hatch door. Play with and get to know the mechanism by moving it by hand a few times. The binding will be more obvious after you see how it works. Replace the selenoid if needed (there are a number of old posts on this, but maybe not the back hatch). An afternoon of work will return your sense of security (sense is all it is as anyone can break into your truck if they really want to) will return. I posted the back window mechanism diagram in my various album if needed. Good luck!

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - wpnaes's Album: Various Ex Work - Picture

Old 01-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Servinghim
Junior User
Originally Posted by wpnaes
Serving,

I had the same issue on my 2000. My locking Selenoid went bad, but also the locking rod gets a little bent and needs straightening and some lube on all moving parts to fix. Remove the back handle (2 screws) and gently pry the plastic cover off the hatch door. Play with and get to know the mechanism by moving it by hand a few times. The binding will be more obvious after you see how it works. Replace the selenoid if needed (there are a number of old posts on this, but maybe not the back hatch). An afternoon of work will return your sense of security (sense is all it is as anyone can break into your truck if they really want to) will return. I posted the back window mechanism diagram in my various album if needed. Good luck!

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - wpnaes's Album: Various Ex Work - Picture
I'm thinking this must be it because I can not lock it even with the key (even if you turn it inside lock). I didn't think it was the actuator due to this.

I'll have to give it a shot and let you know May even take pic's if i feel spunky...

Makes one sad to know others had this problem... no chance at a recall aye?

Old 01-05-2011, 05:50 PM
mkane
Junior User
I'm having the exact same issue on my 2000 - Power locks and Key inop....I may take it apart this evening.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Bigfoot46555
Junior User
That's funny. I have a 2000 XLT EX that neither the electric door locks or the key fob will actuate. You can HEAR a click back there, but it doesn't work.

THEN, at random times, once or twice a month, I'll go back to grab something out of the back and find it locked. Then once I unlock it to get something out, the next time I hit the button, it clicks but doesn't lock.

No clue... but seems to be another one of those Ford things.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:42 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigfoot46555
That's funny. I have a 2000 XLT EX that neither the electric door locks or the key fob will actuate. You can HEAR a click back there, but it doesn't work.

THEN, at random times, once or twice a month, I'll go back to grab something out of the back and find it locked. Then once I unlock it to get something out, the next time I hit the button, it clicks but doesn't lock.

No clue... but seems to be another one of those Ford things.

I hear ya, mine too was a random event for 6 months before it gave out completely. Open her up and take a look, nice Sat afternooon project.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:16 AM
mkane
Junior User
I opened mine up last night - It seems like it just needed some lube, but in the process of freeing it up, I broke the plastic clip/retainer near the lock cylinder.......
My advice would be to take the rod off this clip, lube the hell out of it, move the rod by hand,not with the key, and you should be good to go! I just hope I can buy just the clip???

Old 01-07-2011, 07:18 AM
Servinghim
Junior User
Ugg on the Clip Mkane..

I'm picking up my Actuator today but probably wont get a chance to work on it till next week. I'll bring my camera and take some pictures and show how bad I do

If this works I'll pick up another and fix the Other Ex which seems to suffer the same problem.. Ford guy laughed when I asked if this was common and said 'common enough' but don't go looking for a recall on that bad boy

Old 11-01-2013, 05:41 AM
Speed2004
New User
To give new life to an old problem.

My 2004 Excursion Limited Diesel I just bought had the same issue. Rear tailgate did not lock.

Found the Key lock tumble was seized up. Someone tried to use a screwdriver on it. Replaced it and still didn't lock. Disassembled the locking mechanism behind the outside latch to find, do to dirt and dust, it would not allow the electric actuator to operate it. The key lock tumbler rod hooks into it. That is why it wouldn't move.
The door opened and closed from the outside fine. Electric actuator was fine.

Hint: in order to remove the electric actuator and locking mechanism you will need to remove the rear wiper blade motor first... Fought that for an hr. before I realized the motor needed to be removed first.

Used brake clean to clean it up real good and got it working again, lubed it up with liquid wrench and worked like a champ. Replaced the electric actuator anyway while I had it out from O'rielys for $60. Put it back together and works like a champ. I did not lube with grease because in freezing weather it would not work and would collect more dirt.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Speed2004
Hint: in order to remove the electric actuator and locking mechanism you will need to remove the rear wiper blade motor first... Fought that for an hr. before I realized the motor needed to be removed first.
Sorry to hear that. For most Excursions, a person doesn't have to remove the wiper motor first. On most Excursions, the actuator can be fished out.

Stewart

Old 11-01-2013, 12:05 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Speed2004
Replaced the electric actuator anyway while I had it out from O'rielys for $60.
Check with us first next time. We could have saved you a little cash, and you would have had a spare actuator for the passenger side.

$21 bucks for the two in the ebay ad: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Door-Lock-Actuator-Pair-Left-Right-NEW-/370597679018?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item564957cfaa

Stewart