Manual trans issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 05:26 PM
Inside Man
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Manual trans issues

Hows it going gentlemen? Im starting to have some issues with my manual trans. As im coming to a stop, i wait until im almost stopped but not quite to go into first. Sometimes it will grind until the truck comes to a stop. The grind will slow with the trucks speed until the truck has come to a complete stop. Then as the truck stops completely, the shifter will finally shift into first. Its been doing this for some time now and ive learned to deal with it. However, just over this weekend, ive had the truck out all day today. While it was cold it was ok, but after heating up it didnt want to go into third without some convincing. It did this all day on all heat up and cool downs. Ive done some research on here without finding cold hard facts. The truck has never been abused. What do you suppose the problem is?
2005 F150
4.2 V6
5 Speed Manual
72000 Miles

Old 11-02-2013, 05:43 PM
1saxman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Check your clutch fluid reservoir. Look under front of trans for fluid leak. Slave cylinder might be leaking.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:39 PM
1saxman
Fleet Mechanic
The slave cylinder could also fail and not leak, like a brake master cylinder. If the fluid ever got low and air got into the system, it's possible that all it needs is to be bled. However, if the fluid never got low, it's doubtful that air got into the system.
The reason I responded is I've had hard shifting with my 2007 with only 13,500 miles on it. What I posted is what I have found out so far. But strangely, after I started concentrating on trying to shift smoother, it actually started to happen. I mean from one day to the next. Mine never did any grinding but it would really drag moving the shifter from third to fourth for example, and going into any gear has always been what they call 'notchy', where the shifter stops without going into gear, and you have to push it a little. I've had numerous manual-shift cars and trucks over the years but never ran into this before. So, the last few times I drove it, it seems like suddenly it shifts easier, and while it still drags, it's nowhere near as bad. I've been meaning to change the trans oil but haven't done it yet, and nothing else has changed. I did check the fluid and it was fine, so I didn't add any. What I have been doing is trying to shift smoother. Sometimes it doesn't want to go into a gear, and I'll double-clutch, but for the most part it's been like a different truck. I do remember doing one unusual thing - on Wednesday my drive took me onto the freeway for about 5 miles at 70-75 MPH. When I got ready to exit, I realized I had left it in fourth gear instead of going to fifth. It seems like that's when it started shifting easier. So, when I go that way next week I'm going to do it again. You see, what I'm doing is rationalizing that there's nothing wrong with my clutch, and the truck is 'getting well'. We'll see how that goes.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:37 AM
Inside Man
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1saxman
The slave cylinder could also fail and not leak, like a brake master cylinder. If the fluid ever got low and air got into the system, it's possible that all it needs is to be bled. However, if the fluid never got low, it's doubtful that air got into the system.
The reason I responded is I've had hard shifting with my 2007 with only 13,500 miles on it. What I posted is what I have found out so far. But strangely, after I started concentrating on trying to shift smoother, it actually started to happen. I mean from one day to the next. Mine never did any grinding but it would really drag moving the shifter from third to fourth for example, and going into any gear has always been what they call 'notchy', where the shifter stops without going into gear, and you have to push it a little. I've had numerous manual-shift cars and trucks over the years but never ran into this before. So, the last few times I drove it, it seems like suddenly it shifts easier, and while it still drags, it's nowhere near as bad. I've been meaning to change the trans oil but haven't done it yet, and nothing else has changed. I did check the fluid and it was fine, so I didn't add any. What I have been doing is trying to shift smoother. Sometimes it doesn't want to go into a gear, and I'll double-clutch, but for the most part it's been like a different truck. I do remember doing one unusual thing - on Wednesday my drive took me onto the freeway for about 5 miles at 70-75 MPH. When I got ready to exit, I realized I had left it in fourth gear instead of going to fifth. It seems like that's when it started shifting easier. So, when I go that way next week I'm going to do it again. You see, what I'm doing is rationalizing that there's nothing wrong with my clutch, and the truck is 'getting well'. We'll see how that goes.

Ummmmmmmmmmm.......... What? ha!

Old 11-05-2013, 08:41 AM
1saxman
Fleet Mechanic
Hey, whatever happened, it's still working. I guess trucks CAN get well! There's one thing I considered but dismissed, and that's simply 'break-in'. I've only put 13,500 miles on it. But the great majority of that was 'city' driving with a lot of shifting, so I don't see how it could take that long to break in a transmission.
Inside man: Let us know if you find out anything about your trans/clutch. In the meanwhile, I would not try to put it into first until the truck is just about stopped, and double-clutching really works as long as you can do it fast. You do this by letting out the clutch in Neutral and blipping the throttle between shifts.