6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Transmission Cooler Lines

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Russell N.
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Transmission Cooler Lines

Well, I seem to have buggered up the threads on the transmission cooler in my radiator.

Does anyone know the thread size so I can try to use a tap to re-tap the lines?

Old 10-25-2013, 01:24 PM
Russell N.
Freshman User
Talking

I thought I would share what I've done so far.

The threads are a m18-1.5, It's rather a fine thread for that size, but it does exist. I purchased a tap and a 1 1/5 inch long bolt. I used the tap "very carefully" to clean up the threads. I then put teflon tape on the connectors to thread in to cooler. I screwed the bolt in to one side to use it as leverage to get the other side up close to the opening in the plastic. I then, again, "very carefully", screwed the male portion in to the cooler throuogh the plastic bottom of the radiator. I then used a 1" socket on a 1/2" drive rachet to tighten up the male threads.

Once the first side was done, I then repeated the process on the other side with the teflon tape again.

I'm about the put the radiator back in and check everything. I'll update this thread to let everyone know if I was successful or not.

If I am, the total cash outlay will be about $55. If not, I'm out the cost of a new radiator.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:09 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Russell N.
I thought I would share what I've done so far.

The threads are a m18-1.5, It's rather a fine thread for that size, but it does exist. I purchased a tap and a 1 1/5 inch long bolt. I used the tap "very carefully" to clean up the threads. I then put teflon tape on the connectors to thread in to cooler. I screwed the bolt in to one side to use it as leverage to get the other side up close to the opening in the plastic. I then, again, "very carefully", screwed the male portion in to the cooler throuogh the plastic bottom of the radiator. I then used a 1" socket on a 1/2" drive rachet to tighten up the male threads.

Once the first side was done, I then repeated the process on the other side with the teflon tape again.

I'm about the put the radiator back in and check everything. I'll update this thread to let everyone know if I was successful or not.

If I am, the total cash outlay will be about $55. If not, I'm out the cost of a new radiator.

That's good information. I haven't seen anyone even attempt this. Keep on wrenching and let us know how it turns out.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:17 PM
Russell N.
Freshman User
Cool

Well Casey struck out at bat!!!

Everything was going well. I had the radiator back in and tested the tranny line connections. Both connections were leaking, so I got under the radiator with a crescent wrench and started torqueing. The driver's side connection torqued down just fine, but the passenger side seems to have stripped, and rather easily at that. This is surprising as the passenger side had more good threads to start with.

I'm now looking at BPD for an all-aluminum radiator.

Heck, it was worth a try and I learned something to boot!!!!!

Old 10-25-2013, 03:19 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Russell N.
Well Casey struck out at bat!!!

Everything was going well. I had the radiator back in and tested the tranny line connections. Both connections were leaking, so I got under the radiator with a crescent wrench and started torqueing. The driver's side connection torqued down just fine, but the passenger side seems to have stripped, and rather easily at that. This is surprising as the passenger side had more good threads to start with.

I'm now looking at BPD for an all-aluminum radiator.

Heck, it was worth a try and I learned something to boot!!!!!
Yeah it was. At least we know the size of the connection now.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:07 AM
Russell N.
Freshman User
Wanted to update the forum with my progress.

I ordered the BPD radiator and it came in just fine. The radiator had the threaded connectors for the tranny lines, but included the quick disconnect nuts as well, so I swapped them out. BPD also included a spare plastic drain valve, just in case the one on the radiator gets cracked during shipping.

Dropped the radiator in, connected the tranny lines and all the hoses. Took about 30 minutes. (I was taking my time to make sure I didn't buggered anything else.)

The truck;s been running fine for about a week now. I'm not losing any coolant (which was the original issue).

All is right with the world!

Again, thanks for all the help from this forum. You guys (and girls) are a godsend...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!

Old 11-25-2013, 09:43 AM
CPB1
Posting Guru
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the update. If I have the same problem I will go with the BDP unit also.

Thanks

Old 11-25-2013, 07:12 PM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
happy thanksgiving! i remember having some issues but mine was the external tranny filter housing where i broke off tat stupid nut. i ended up just getting the entire set for the external tranny filter housing. it comes pre-installed with a new filter as well….. and then i learned tat ford also has ANOTHER external tranny filter housing setup, where this "other" setup utilizes the magnefine filter, and it's way they call their "inline" setup. this "inline" setup only comes on rebuilt ford trannys for our trucks.