1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

truck dies

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 10:30 PM
Dillon Pittser
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation truck dies

Hello my name is Dillon, I am new here as of tonight, my 2001 ford ranger v6 3.00 auto is acting up, first off sometimes my oil gauge is all the way down and the check gauge comes on then goes to normal like 2 mins later but it started happening Wednesday when I went to go leave work, I started it up and it died, went to start it again and it wanted to die again so i gave it some gas and drove it and when I went to stop at a light it sounded like it wasn't even running, so I stopped at the gas station shut it off and see if it did it again and it didn't started right up and you could hear it idling, so I left for work Thursday morning and started up fine and ran like a champ, went to leave work and did it again, so thing again today (Friday), I was thinking maybe the fuel filter? anything will help, thanks and hope everyone has a great weekend

Old 10-26-2013, 08:56 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Welcome to FTE. Sounds like you may have at least two problems. Do you have a lit CEL, if so, run this puppy by your favorite auto parts store for a no cost computer trouble code scan & post All code Numbers found, as they can offer up good trouble shooting clues.

When the oil pressure light is on, are you hearing any untoward engine noises??? If so, have you checked the engine dip stick oil sump level & if low top it up???? If low, any signs of an external oil leak????

If all that looks ok, if its only stalling at idle, the IAC isn't properly controlling engine idle speed & if it gets too low, the oil pressure warning light can flicker, or turn on until engine rpm goes back up. If the IAC is acting up, it can also cause the engine to stall at idle. The IAC is a common problem part, so it belongs on your suspect list right now.

A faulty oil pressure switch can also give low oil pressure readings on the gauge & it too is a commom problem part.

The check gauge feature is the computers way of waking us up to check the instrument panel gauges, when it senses that one is reading out of tolerance.

SO, with some more clues, like some trouble code numbers, maybe we can narrow our guesses down some.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:39 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
If the IAC is working properly, the engine idle speed should drop, when we disconnect the IAC electrical connector while the engine is running. If idle speed doesn't change, suspect the IAC & maybe consider removing & cleaning it internally with a plastic safe spray cleaner, like CRC MAF, or QD spray cleaners. Keep the electrical connector end & little black cap oriented up while cleaning, so that you keep the solvents out of those areas.
Cleaning the IAC may not last, it didn't for me on my 99 4.0L, but was a good trouble shooting step, before replacing the IAC. OEM, or BWD IAC are recommended.

More thoughts for consideration, let us know how your trouble shoot goes.