Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-25-2013, 12:03 PM
Senior User

mrsvegan is starting off with a positive reputation.
How much should it cost to have fuel pump replaced?

Hi guys,
Can someone please ballpark me on what it should cost to have the fuel pump replaced on a 2001 Excursion 7.3?
Old 10-25-2013, 12:28 PM
Postmaster

timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.
timmyboy76 seadooya
not sure, but remember reading that the fuel pump located in the tank. Our trucks, the pumps' located on the frame. Either way, if you got the time, do it yourself.
TIM...PAA#113....plenums inserts, hpx, frx, 50 cent, gauges, trans-coolant-oil DIY by-pass systems, H/H mod, DIY WVO system..190k and counting
Old 10-25-2013, 01:04 PM
Senior User

excavator is starting off with a positive reputation.
are you sure you need fuel pump? I just had a low fuel psi reading on a gauge hooked up to my 99 F350. It was reading 25 psi at idle and lower raising throttle. I placed order for new FPR rebuild kit and after install I now have 65 psi at idle. I got kit from Diesel O-Rings .com
Old 10-25-2013, 04:39 PM
Postmaster

Robert6401 is a name known to allRobert6401 is a name known to allRobert6401 is a name known to allRobert6401 is a name known to allRobert6401 is a name known to allRobert6401 is a name known to all
mrsvegan,

Let us know what makes you think you need a new fuel pump. They do fail, but not all that often. I'd be willing to bet if you're having an issue it's something else and the mechanic is trying to throw parts at the problem. Let us help you. Where in GA are you? I'm in SC and can possibly help if you're not too far, and there are other forum members in GA. Don't pay for a new pump until we get you in the right direction.
AIS, RE leveling kit, IssPro EV2 Gauges, PHP tunes fined tuned by Cody (cleatus12r), Hutch&Harpoon, FRx, HPx, John Wood Trans, Swamps HV/HF IDM, Firestone Airbags, RiffRaff Rear Diff Cover, Van turbo w/ported housing and billet wheel, non-ebp outlet and pedestal, Magnaflow SS 4" Exhaust
Old 10-25-2013, 04:41 PM
Postmaster

Robert6401 is a name known to allRobert6401 is a name known to allRobert6401 is a name known to allRobert6401 is a name known to allRobert6401 is a name known to allRobert6401 is a name known to all
I should've added, however, that it should take less than an hour to replace the fuel pump . So cost of pump, plus one hour of labor should be total cost to pay someone else to do it. Still doubtful that the pump is the issue, though.
AIS, RE leveling kit, IssPro EV2 Gauges, PHP tunes fined tuned by Cody (cleatus12r), Hutch&Harpoon, FRx, HPx, John Wood Trans, Swamps HV/HF IDM, Firestone Airbags, RiffRaff Rear Diff Cover, Van turbo w/ported housing and billet wheel, non-ebp outlet and pedestal, Magnaflow SS 4" Exhaust
Old 10-25-2013, 05:51 PM
Proud Sheepdog

Nicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud of
Pumps run about $160 for OEM (Bosch). Labor can be $60-100 for an hour. I just replaced mine last month. Very easy job.
2001 Excursion 4x4 7.3L, 4" turbo back, AIS, 910 Springs, Melling M208, HPx, FRx, Bellowed, Hutched, V coded, AIH/EBPV/foil delete, F350 rear sway, Derale tranny pan, drilled/slotted, T444e water pump, Fumoto, Glowshift TM/DV - EGT fuel and boost, 240k All modifications installed by ME!
Old 10-25-2013, 08:22 PM
Senior User

Hi Guys, Earlier in the week I posted this thread:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...-cold-day.html

Our local diesel shop (kinda weird people) said they could not put it on the computer until Monday. I changed the fuel filter today and it was falling apart (I know I know) I thought that my Excursion had a light that came on like our 250 does that told when the fuel filter needed to be changed. Apparently that is not the case. Anyway, changed the fuel filter thought that would fix the problem. My husband then test drove it to see if it was fix and it barely got him home it was so bad. He said he feels it is some kind of fuel delivery issue, possibly the fuel pump. Called around today and was not super happy with any of our option here but will go talk to some people face to face Monday I guess. I am hoping like heck we didn't end up trashing the injectors with the cruddy fuel filter.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:34 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicmike View Post
Pumps run about $160 for OEM (Bosch). Labor can be $60-100 for an hour. I just replaced mine last month. Very easy job.
Where did you buy it from?
Old 10-25-2013, 08:49 PM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsvegan View Post
I thought that my Excursion had a light that came on like our 250 does that told when the fuel filter needed to be changed.
What year is your F250, and what kind of engine?

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 10-25-2013, 08:54 PM
Senior User

t.scottNDU has a good reputation on FTE.t.scottNDU has a good reputation on FTE.t.scottNDU has a good reputation on FTE.
I replaced mine last month as well. I purchased it from dieselorings.com.
It's a very easy job, the only "special" tool would be a 5/16 fuel line disconnect tool, everything else uses common wrenches, sockets, etc.
You will need to reuse the fitting on the push side of the pump, as well as the insulating cover and mounting bolts. New one should come with new nuts and washers for the electrical connection.

How many miles on the Ex? I'm with the other guys, it's too big of a coincidence that this is happening directly after the fuel filter debacle you described.
Just out of curiosity, do you know how many miles you had on the old filter? They should be changed every 10k. I change mine every 5k.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:28 PM
Senior User

lartross is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
There's a good chance it's a clogged screen in the in tank pick-up. There a hutch mod would be a good path to take. 'Course, someone has to do the wrenchin'....
Larry 2000 F250 sd, sc, 4x4 long bed 7.3l psd, auto, hutch/harpoon, 6637, 4" turbo back w/high flow muffler ,bypass oil filter, coolant filter, BDP tunes, ELC coolant, Riff/Raff intercooler boots, cvs mod, John Woods valve body, bellowed up pipes, egt gauge, transmission temperature gauge, boost gauge, air bags with compresser, fuel pressure gauge. B.E.S.T. map
Old 10-25-2013, 10:13 PM
Proud Sheepdog

Nicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsvegan View Post
Where did you buy it from?
Dieselorings.com of course! $145...However, he is out of stock on them. I also own a 2001 X, and the pickup foot in the tank had fallen apart. I did the hutch mod on it to remedy that and future problems. You have guys in your area that are willing to help you out.
2001 Excursion 4x4 7.3L, 4" turbo back, AIS, 910 Springs, Melling M208, HPx, FRx, Bellowed, Hutched, V coded, AIH/EBPV/foil delete, F350 rear sway, Derale tranny pan, drilled/slotted, T444e water pump, Fumoto, Glowshift TM/DV - EGT fuel and boost, 240k All modifications installed by ME!
Old 10-26-2013, 07:16 AM
Postmaster

tdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to behold
If they get a pump from the dealer they list for $350 or more plus labor. Could also be the screens in the tank like lartross suggested.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:04 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post
What year is your F250, and what kind of engine?

Stewart
It's a 1995' 7.3
Old 10-26-2013, 08:06 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.scottNDU View Post
I replaced mine last month as well. I purchased it from dieselorings.com.
It's a very easy job, the only "special" tool would be a 5/16 fuel line disconnect tool, everything else uses common wrenches, sockets, etc.
You will need to reuse the fitting on the push side of the pump, as well as the insulating cover and mounting bolts. New one should come with new nuts and washers for the electrical connection.

How many miles on the Ex? I'm with the other guys, it's too big of a coincidence that this is happening directly after the fuel filter debacle you described.
Just out of curiosity, do you know how many miles you had on the old filter? They should be changed every 10k. I change mine every 5k.
Very ashamed to say that poor fuel filter was on there for about 150,000 Miles
My EX has 217,000 on it.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:06 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel