Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Engine Oil Temp v Coolant Temp

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 12:42 PM
Bigtruc
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Oil Temp v Coolant Temp

So I'm trying to get some idea of what temp my truck is running & if I need to do something about it. I have an edge programer that will display 4 readings at once. I have voltage, boost, EGT, & EOT (engine oil temp). There is no way to read coolant temp with it & if I remember corectly these truck don't have the ability to display engine temp through the PCM.

Anyway my question to you guys is how closely can I compare my engine oil temp to what the coolant temp would be? Currently the outside temps have been hanging in the below zero range & I can't get my oil temp over 150 deg. The temp needle in the dash hangs just under the half way mark.

Second question is if my oil temp is relative to my coolant temp so my engine is only warming up to 150 deg, do I need to look into changing thermostat to fix? I do curently have a 203 deg stat but I haven't had the time to do my flush & put it in. Thanks for any & all input guys!

Old 12-24-2013, 02:14 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
All my tests have shown the oil temp to be higher than the coolant temp. Your thermostat might not be getting it done - causing a supercooling of the oil.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:35 PM
Bigtruc
Senior User
That's what I was worried about. I figured 150 deg is kind of cold for these engines to run. Might just have to crack down & get my flush & new stat in soon. I've also noticed that during the summer when temps hit the high 80's to 90 my oil temp gets into the 190 deg range. Is that too hot or should I see that temp in the 200's with a 203 deg stat? Thanks for the input Tugly.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:48 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigtruc
That's what I was worried about. I figured 150 deg is kind of cold for these engines to run. Might just have to crack down & get my flush & new stat in soon. I've also noticed that during the summer when temps hit the high 80's to 90 my oil temp gets into the 190 deg range. Is that too hot or should I see that temp in the 200's with a 203 deg stat? Thanks for the input Tugly.
That EOT is about right for the given ambient temps. I don't see EOT's in the 200*+ until the 90*s, towing, or interstate driving with my 203* stat. Still average ~210* EOT or less.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:35 AM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
When installed the Performax gauges, I had to put the oil temp sender in the block located post oil cooler. The factory sender, as I remember is in the hpop resevior. It would have been nice if I could have piggy backed off that sender like the icp does. The point is, my oil is always 30-50* cooler than the coolant, and takes a bit to catch up while under a load. So mine, set up the way it is, is close to yours. That may be apples and oranges though.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:33 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by stinson 108-1
When installed the Performax gauges, I had to put the oil temp sender in the block located post oil cooler. The factory sender, as I remember is in the hpop resevior. It would have been nice if I could have piggy backed off that sender like the icp does. The point is, my oil is always 30-50* cooler than the coolant, and takes a bit to catch up while under a load. So mine, set up the way it is, is close to yours. That may be apples and oranges though.
I'm wondering how you got the coolant temp. I have to use a laser thermometer to get the coolant temp and compare it with the Engine Oil Temp on AE. I have found the EOT to be higher than the coolant.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:55 AM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
Rich, coolant temp is in a port on the bypass filter head. Its only a couple degrees cooler than the the water pump housing. I also check things all over the truck with the IR gun, at least when I first got it. Its very interesting to see the variation of temps of parts not to far from each other. Its great to monitor things like calipers rotors and such. I wouldn't be without one now. Have you seen the thermal imager thats out? It will take a thermal picture that will even let you spot a wire or connector with a higher resistance than those around it.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:57 AM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 415 Likes on 237 Posts
My EOT is always higher than my ECT as I run a 6.0 cooler with a M-Hytec pan but I would like to find a way to drop the EOT. I run between 195-203 depending upon the weather and speed I am driving on the interstate. I have read that some pull the section out and clean "foundry sand and crud" out of it to improve oil flow and reduce EOT but I have not tried that one yet.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:18 AM
Bigtruc
Senior User
So from the sounds of it my truck really isn't running too far from par. I guess -26 without the wind chill factored in is just too much for these trucks to handle lol. Maybe I'll just have to put a little cardboard in front of the radiator to help the engine keep up.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Bigtruc
Senior User
Oh by the way........Merry Christmas everybody!

Old 12-25-2013, 10:23 AM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
Dan, the pan and 6.0 cooler are trans related as you know. The foundry sand that leaches from the block wouldn't affect oil temp unless there was enough to block the oil cooler. Sending unit location means a lot, and once you establish the norms of a properly running engine, spoting variations is what I watch for. Get an IR gun and crawl around your truck when its been run down the road awhile, you'll be surprised at what you find. My oil temp will be lower than coolant temp until under load or high ambient temps cruising, then they will become closer. Oil temp will exceed coolant temps at times. There is an idiot lite on the dash for high oil temp. I saw it flicker once while having a 203* stat and removed it.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:01 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
There is an idiot lite on the dash for high oil temp. I saw it flicker once while having a 203* stat and removed it.
The T-stat... or the light?

Old 12-25-2013, 11:04 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rich, coolant temp is in a port on the bypass filter head. Its only a couple degrees cooler than the the water pump housing. I also check things all over the truck with the IR gun, at least when I first got it. Its very interesting to see the variation of temps of parts not to far from each other. Its great to monitor things like calipers rotors and such. I wouldn't be without one now. Have you seen the thermal imager thats out? It will take a thermal picture that will even let you spot a wire or connector with a higher resistance than those around it.
Jim I too use a IR gun and check all kinds of things on the truck. I find it very helpful when towing since I go around check wheel bearing hubs and tires on truck & trailer at stops. But I would be really interested in hearing more about the thermal imager you are talking about. Because the only ones I have seen are high dollars units $$ like the ones fireman use. Have you found one that is in a working mans price range ?

By the way Merry Chrismas to all !

Old 12-25-2013, 01:01 PM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
Originally Posted by Tugly
The T-stat... or the light?
Sorry, the T stat.

Old 12-25-2013, 01:28 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tugly
I'm wondering how you got the coolant temp. I have to use a laser thermometer to get the coolant temp and compare it with the Engine Oil Temp on AE. I have found the EOT to be higher than the coolant.
The EOT/ECT "Spec" is within 20* (give or take a few on a 7.3 (15* @ 6.0) - The sensors should be compared when cold to determine the variance)). The Oil is higher but, within the parameter. If the ECT is higher it indicates a possible restricted Cooler.

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Temp v Coolant Temp