Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-25-2013, 02:23 AM
Elder User

1L243 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Cleaning K&N

I was wondering what to use besides K&N cleaning fluid to clean K&N filter? I barley get on cleaning with a K&N filter cleaning kit. Oil last for 3 or 4 cleanings.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:47 AM
Posting Guru

clem1226 is a splendid one to beholdclem1226 is a splendid one to beholdclem1226 is a splendid one to beholdclem1226 is a splendid one to beholdclem1226 is a splendid one to beholdclem1226 is a splendid one to behold
simple green works real well.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:41 AM
Post Fiend

Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.
The K&N cleaning fluid is repackaged Formula 409.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:10 PM
The Dr. will see you now!

Christof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud of
christof13t
Uhmmm...

If it were found on my truck...
I would clean it with a blowtorch...
And install in the dumpster.

Just sayin...

Personally seen 3 dusted motors that were running k&n.

Were they the root cause of failure?

Dunno...

But why risk a motor over the cost of replaceable filters?
Chris-PAA#130
Motorbug:2000 F350 Lariat CC,LB,6x6 7.3DIT,4" Turbo-Back, IH Bellowed Uppies, RiffRaff FRx&AIH Delete, Hutch/Harpoon,6637, 05-07facelift, dual cowl induction hood, Glowshift Max Tow gauges, antique BullyDog 1 Toon chip, 10k, Air Lift on rear axle, All the hitches!
420k & counting AE Total Ford Enhanced Bundle
Old 10-25-2013, 03:29 PM
Posting Guru

Nsaan has a great reputation on FTE.Nsaan has a great reputation on FTE.Nsaan has a great reputation on FTE.Nsaan has a great reputation on FTE.Nsaan has a great reputation on FTE.
Is it the root cause of failure, no, I doubt it. Any air filter if neglected long enough will cause a failure. Maintenance is the key. I am willing to bet that the trucks that got dusted were more likely due to broken or improperly installed air box lids. Just between us guys the S&B kit that is on my wife's Excursion I have had the cone filter fall off and found it on the bottom of the air box during a road trip. The turbo and intake was clean. I found it when I went to do bellowed up pipes and new intercooler boots. I had checked it over just before the trip but didn't take the cover off. I guess that is why you do a complete service on a vehicle after you buy it so you find all that kind of stuff. It has not budged in the 6 months since I cleaned it and reinstalled it.
Hers 2000 Excursion 7.3 4x4 4inch lift 33's RR inserts, boots, bellowed uppipes 4" turbo back exhaust
A.E. Domestic Bundle. (Ford, Dodge, Chevy)
Old 10-26-2013, 03:51 AM
Posting Guru

truckeemtnfords has a very good reputation on FTE.truckeemtnfords has a very good reputation on FTE.truckeemtnfords has a very good reputation on FTE.truckeemtnfords has a very good reputation on FTE.
I use purple cleaner to clean mine.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:03 AM
9 ECHO 1

A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsaan View Post
Is it the root cause failure, no I doubt it. Any air filter if neglected long enough will cause a failure. Maintenance is the key. I am willing to bet that the trucks that got dusted were more likely due to broken or improperly installed airbox lids.
Maybe. Maybe not. But both over and under oiling causes issues.
With the cost and availability of great filters why chance it...
- Trey PAA Member #110
2002 F250 XLT CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 7.3L
My How-To Video Library
SoCal Chapter Member (Join us HERE)
Old 10-26-2013, 08:40 AM
Elder User

Krochus has a good reputation on FTE.Krochus has a good reputation on FTE.Krochus has a good reputation on FTE.
I've experienced firsthand what k&n filters let by in the world of ATV's and do to sensitive electronics (new out of the box). I personally wouldn't run another one on anything that's remotely likely to dusty environments. Hell I wouldn't even run one on my boat and boats don't even have air filters

IMO k&n filters should at best be regarded as a SCREEN to keep really big stuff out of your motor. Stuff like rocks, sticks, loose hardware and perhaps large flying insects and or small birds. THATS IT though.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:13 AM
i ain't rite

tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krochus View Post
I've experienced firsthand what k&n filters let by in the world of ATV's and do to sensitive electronics (new out of the box). I personally wouldn't run another one on anything that's remotely likely to dusty environments. Hell I wouldn't even run one on my boat and boats don't even have air filters

IMO k&n filters should at best be regarded as a SCREEN to keep really big stuff out of your motor. Stuff like rocks, sticks, loose hardware and perhaps large flying insects and or small birds. THATS IT though.

large flying insects and small birds is about the line of what gets through, but i would still keep an eye on the engine side of the filter if there were a lot of them around.

i would rather run an open intake to get to the parts store than run a k&n piece of trash, because at least the open intake is not over priced.
and give the shirt off his back to a friend.
Steve Price was that kind of person.
Godspeed "window licker", the short bus will never be the same with you gone.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:04 PM
Senior User

sudsmcduff is starting off with a positive reputation.
i sprayed the kn oil down the intake tube every cleaning. it would catch alot of the fine dust. but ran 6637 now. never had any problems with kn
Old 10-26-2013, 09:19 PM
Postmaster

timmyboy76 is a name known to alltimmyboy76 is a name known to alltimmyboy76 is a name known to alltimmyboy76 is a name known to alltimmyboy76 is a name known to alltimmyboy76 is a name known to all
timmyboy76 seadooya
Quote:
I've experienced firsthand what k&n filters let by in the world of ATV's and do to sensitive electronics (new out of the box).
Must've been neglect then. I had a banshee for 5yrs, 16-20 trips a yr to glamis/octillo. Cleaned them k/n pods everytime prior to trip. When i sold it, it was still banging at 148# in both barrels..(had high compression domes 152#).

Wouldnt think twice of installing k/n, heck gotta fipk for the truck, but i will say, i'm still kick'n my ****, for what i paid for it...not worth the $$$
TIM...PAA#113....plenums inserts, hpx, frx, 50 cent, gauges, trans-coolant-oil DIY by-pass systems, H/H mod, DIY WVO system..208k and counting
Old 10-27-2013, 07:38 AM
Elder User

Krochus has a good reputation on FTE.Krochus has a good reputation on FTE.Krochus has a good reputation on FTE.
Try an actual dusty environment like summer trail runs through the ozarks. Dunes typically aren't very dusty. I know little saraha wasn't.

After a fresh cleaning you could literally wipe a rag brown off the oil AND GRIT in the intake tube.

There's a reason those guys run a filter over their filter ya know
Old 10-27-2013, 10:24 AM
Postmaster

timmyboy76 is a name known to alltimmyboy76 is a name known to alltimmyboy76 is a name known to alltimmyboy76 is a name known to alltimmyboy76 is a name known to alltimmyboy76 is a name known to all
timmyboy76 seadooya
Quote:
Try an actual dusty environment
https://www.google.com/search?q=ocot...w=1024&bih=629

OP...if you dig the k/n, run it. i think most who wont run them, are people that have yet to run the, find them to be way to expensive, to run them, OR jumped on the bandwagon of, their bad for our motors..(think this is the main one).

There are plenty of members here, bang'n away with a k/n and no ill effects. tThe ones with problems, probably didnt instal the damn thing correctly...You know, its someone else's fault, these days.
TIM...PAA#113....plenums inserts, hpx, frx, 50 cent, gauges, trans-coolant-oil DIY by-pass systems, H/H mod, DIY WVO system..208k and counting
Old 10-27-2013, 11:35 AM
i ain't rite

tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
https://www.google.com/search?q=ocot...w=1024&bih=629

OP...if you dig the k/n, run it. i think most who wont run them, are people that have yet to run the, find them to be way to expensive, to run them, OR jumped on the bandwagon of, their bad for our motors..(think this is the main one).

There are plenty of members here, bang'n away with a k/n and no ill effects. tThe ones with problems, probably didnt instal the damn thing correctly...You know, its someone else's fault, these days.
i have had 1 engine and one turbo destroyed by K&N filters.
that is why i say i would just as soon drive without one than put one on a truck again.

when an engine gets dusted because the filter lets the dust through, it gets a no good recommendation from me.
try this:
get a K&N filter, and some talc powder.
blow the talc powder through the filter and see how much goes rite through.

then try it with a real air filter. you will see the real filter lets very little if any talc through, and the K&N lets almost all the talc through
and give the shirt off his back to a friend.
Steve Price was that kind of person.
Godspeed "window licker", the short bus will never be the same with you gone.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:43 AM
Postmaster

timmyboy76 seadooya
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjc transport View Post
then try it with a real air filter. you will see the real filter lets very little if any talc through, and the K&N lets almost all the talc through
Why dont you try it, with "real" environment elements..like dirt/dust. Then make sure, you dont neglect the k/n and run it without oil. Then see "what" passes through.

The FIPK, when checking it over for no particular reasons, the inlet tube was spotless. Grant it, i do run a 6637 when the k/n is dry'n or in this particular reason, ran outta cleaner. Now that i know, 409 will work, you bet, thatr filters goin on by mid week
Old 10-27-2013, 11:43 AM