Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Getting to be that time of year again reminders

Old 10-24-2013, 07:26 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Getting to be that time of year again reminders

Just a reminder it's getting to be that time of year again and for some of you guys it's already here. Don't forget to go threw your truck and do all the stuff youve been putting off all summer before the snow falls. Make sure you have your phone charger just incase you forgot to put a tool in there you may need. Check your spare tire and make sure it drops down like it should and it's not all rusted.
If you're like me and like helping others out who are stuck in a ditch make sure your TOW STRAP in in good order, if possible stay away from chains. If you find yourself hooked to another car or truck make sure you put something in about the middle of the strap incase crap happens and the strap or chain breaks it will go flying towards the ground and not up in the air becoming a more dangerous situation.
I also find it handy to have a few gallons of diesel in the bed (in a can of course). Time to switch to the ole white bottle of diesel kleen if that's what you use. Putting a bottle of diesel 9-1-1 in the truck so you don't find yourself SOL.
Also if you're like me you have an extra set of rims and snow tires that are going to need to go on soon too so make sure there in great shape and not starting to dry rot from sitting all year. I don't know why I still have them I don't drive the truck in the winter much anymore. (I'd*rather wreck my work car )
Add as much as you guys can think of to help everyone else out.

If you live where it doesn't snow

Old 10-24-2013, 07:34 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Slow down and make sure your 4x4 works. Im not really worried about anyone on here, but every year...the first snowfall its like the first time its ever snowed. Accidents everywhere. Yes your little car or small truck may have 4WD/AWD, but no, your braking is still the same. And no, it is not as helpful with snow on the road. More following distance

Old 10-24-2013, 07:45 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've got a lot of preparing to do. It gets cold down here in Texas!!! lol

Old 10-24-2013, 08:00 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my 2 cents, check the batteries and glow plug system.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:14 PM
Bigcat350
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check anti-freeze level, use a good wiper fluid that don't freeze. Check tire air pressure, as said check 4 wheel drive system especially if you are using the ESOF which I used and had to do preventative maintenance on every few years.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:48 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
While you are at it, replace the wipers themselves. It's a little thing, but they make a big difference when it's sleeting or snowing and there is salt or cinders on the windshield. Also get your wiper fluid switched over to the type that doesn't freeze.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:33 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Apply/re-apply Rain-X to your windshield before it gets too cold. Those of you that has never used Rain-X,after you apply it and see rain/sleet or snow you'll wonder how you ever lived without it...Seriously

Old 10-24-2013, 10:04 PM
Deluxe06
4000 rounds a min
For the ones that plug your trucks in on a regular basis check your block heater plug and cord out real good. Don't need any trucks catching fire.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:19 PM
Stebs
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by schlepprock250
Apply/re-apply Rain-X to your windshield before it gets too cold. Those of you that has never used Rain-X,after you apply it and see rain/sleet or snow you'll wonder how you ever lived without it...Seriously
Which Rain-x do you use? I used to use the stuff in the spray bottle that you spray on a rag and buff it into the glass and then buff it out with a paper towel. Only thing about it is that I still left a haze that drove me nuts. I loved the stuff in the rain, but the haze was enough to make me quit using it all the time...

Old 10-24-2013, 10:33 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Stebs
Which Rain-x do you use? I used to use the stuff in the spray bottle that you spray on a rag and buff it into the glass and then buff it out with a paper towel. Only thing about it is that I still left a haze that drove me nuts. I loved the stuff in the rain, but the haze was enough to make me quit using it all the time...
Yep I use the same stuff. Spray it on(windshield and square folded paper towel),swirl it till you have good coverage,let it set to a haze,and then buff with a terry cloth to remove the haze. If you don't get it all off your wipers may chatter so it's very important to remove the haze completely.It takes a while to get it all buffed off,but keep going it'll come off...well worth the effort.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:37 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Slide pins! Slide pins! Slide pins!
Check your slide pins here!
Hurray hurray hurray!

Yah Travis...
We better get on the cold weather prep quick eh?
It already got down to a frigid 58* on my front porch this week.
Just...

Arctic!

Lol

Old 10-25-2013, 02:01 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Christof13T
Slide pins! Slide pins! Slide pins!
Check your slide pins here!
Hurray hurray hurray!

Yah Travis...
We better get on the cold weather prep quick eh?
It already got down to a frigid 58* on my front porch this week.
Just...

Arctic!

Lol
Agreed. It did get down to the mid 50's up here. I bout fell out when I hit that cold air! LOL

I was going to add the block heater cord check, but it's already been added. Mine had exposed wires near the plug that I didn't notice last year and it arced up when I plugged it in. Definitely a must check.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:29 PM
jgilrfr
Laughing Gas
I drove from Syracuse Ny to NYC yesterday and went through snow in PA

Old 10-25-2013, 08:20 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it was 35 this morning! way to cold for me.
do forget the jack to change the tire and a mat to lay on.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:11 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
You guys are having heat waves. It's been in the 20s here in the morning. I was in Kentucky Monday-thursday and it was in the low 30s in the morning two days.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Getting to be that time of year again reminders