6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Tow/Haul mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Gatortadpole
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tow/Haul mode

I'm a long time reader of this forum, first time poster. I live in S.FL and I tow a 32ft boat about 3 miles. My question is when should you use the tow/haul button? Is there a minimum weight (rule of thumb to follow)? I do use it when towing boat, but what about my 4000lb (empty)cargo trailer when towing down interstate in the mountains of NC? I do have a H&S mini max, that has a tow mode setting since update. DPF delete, full egr delete, ect.... What would be proper way(gear-drive,3,2,1) to drive this in the mountains of NC? Sorry for my ramble here, just a florida boy used to flat land. Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give me.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:06 PM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The T/H mode modifies the upshift points and increases pressure to the clutches for better shifting under load. It also keeps the Torque Converter locked up and will downshift the transmission 1) when the computer detects acceleration without pedal imput, and b) when you tap/apply the brakes while decelerating. This T/H option is very helpful when descending steep grades with a heavy load.
There is no 'exhaust brake' on these Fords--what you might think is it, is the trans downshifting and the TC staying locked up.
To confirm this with your H&S----drive normally without the T/H on, you should see the "TC Unlocked" message as the truck begins to coast and slow down. Then do the same in T/H mode and watch the same message as the truck slows down. The message will say "TC Locked" and you will feel the trans downshift. Those downshifts are not felt when not in T/H and the rpms will drop to near idle.
But to answer your question--use it or not, it becomes more useful for heavy loads and steep grades. Your truck will handle the boat and 4k cargo trailer just fine.
Joe

Old 10-23-2013, 08:28 PM
Gatortadpole
5th Wheeling
Thanks Mud Doc!

Old 10-24-2013, 07:39 AM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Gatortadpole
What would be proper way(gear-drive,3,2,1) to drive this in the mountains of NC? Sorry for my ramble here, just a florida boy used to flat land. Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give me.

<style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Cambria; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> Since you have a tuner my best advice would be to monitor the truck vitals, water temp, oil temp, Exhaust temp, and trans temp and figure out your tow speed from there. (My personal temp limits towing a heavy load: oil temp 228-232, coolant temp 228-230, trans temp 210-215, exhaust temp pre turbo 1200-1300 sustained load but if oil temps and water temps are over the 225 range I consider 1175-1200 to be my max egt. These are just my personal preferences and for example reference only) ON heavy grades tow at a speed that the truck can maintain these reasonable. My truck is tuned and has plenty of power to pull anything id like. I also have the ability to burn the engine and trans if I ever pushed it to hard. Hers an example one of the areas I haul equipment I have to pull an 18-mile long 7-8 percent grade with a GCVW of about 28-30K. I know the grade pretty well so about when I get into the pull I just set the cruse at about 35-40mph because I know at that speed my truck can handle it no problem, yeah it may take me a bit longer but it is not worth any risk to me to top the hill 5-10 mins faster pushing the truck.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:09 AM
Gatortadpole
5th Wheeling
Thanks for the great info. I've always wondered what the numbers should read on heavy load. I never pull my boat very far too get a change in my numbers. Trans reads in low 160's range, coolant 195-197. Thanks again for the info.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:49 AM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
Gator,
With those readings, I don't think your loads are ever going to cause you a problem. Mess around with using the T/H and make your own mind up on it.
Joe

Old 10-24-2013, 10:26 AM
Gatortadpole
5th Wheeling
That's because I only live 3miles from the ramp. It doesn't have time to heat up lol. I just have never towed any weight on steep grades. This time will be towing @7000lb, just want to educate myself on doing it right way. Thanks again for your time and help Joe......Mark

Old 10-24-2013, 11:05 AM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
As Sanddemon said, just keep an eye on the temps on the H&S...I run EGT on top, then oil, coolant and trans at bottom. The EGT will track higher as you load the engine on grades--you can either back out of it or downshift to lower. The other 3 will also climb as you work the engine more, but they should all stay below temps that might cause a problem.
Joe

Old 10-24-2013, 11:19 AM
Gatortadpole
5th Wheeling
Thanks again!

Old 11-18-2013, 06:10 PM
Gatortadpole
5th Wheeling
tow/haul mode

So let me get this straight. I should use the tow/haul mode w/ minimax tuner set in the tow mode also? Or does the mini max setting Tow mode over ride the tow haul button on gear shift lever? Thanks again in advance for your time and help.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:51 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gatortadpole
So let me get this straight. I should use the tow/haul mode w/ minimax tuner set in the tow mode also? Or does the mini max setting Tow mode over ride the tow haul button on gear shift lever? Thanks again in advance for your time and help.
The mini max will not override the tow/haul mode, although the mini max does somewhat adjust the shifting of the trans it will not operate the transmission like the tow/haul button dose.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:13 PM
Gatortadpole
5th Wheeling
Would you suggest using both while pulling trailer?

Old 11-18-2013, 07:51 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
I would and just monitor the important items with the mini max, as long as you EGT'S, and temps stay good you should be OK.
Just as SANDDEMON08 states, keep the temps in reason and you should be fine.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:04 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

How about using the tow/haul on icey roads?
Will it lock things up?

Old 11-18-2013, 11:24 PM
Chalkie
Senior User
Originally Posted by Vinford
How about using the tow/haul on icey roads?
Will it lock things up?
My owners manual says:

Do not use the Tow/Haul feature when driving in icy or slippery

conditions as the increased engine braking can cause the rear

wheels to slide and the vehicle to swing around with the possible loss

of vehicle control.

Quick Reply: Tow/Haul mode