Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-23-2013, 08:22 PM
Elder User

Drewski 2 has a great reputation on FTE.Drewski 2 has a great reputation on FTE.Drewski 2 has a great reputation on FTE.Drewski 2 has a great reputation on FTE.Drewski 2 has a great reputation on FTE.
FABRICATION!! We want to see what you've built.

The recent thread asking if you kit or fabricate brought to mind a thread that I started over a year ago regarding fabricated or modified parts. I find it really time consuming trying to search for custom work, wading through galleries or using the search feature. I'd like to propose a running thread of your fabrication projects whether made totally from scratch or a modified part.

I belong to several forums where there are threads that have run for quite a long time regarding things like home brewed tools, storage ideas, welding projects, etc..... They are quite interesting to read and even if the way they're presented doesn't work for you, it may give you food for thought on how you might use it. I'm constantly going back to those threads to see what has been added

This may be duplicated information from your build thread and may require a little more effort to post here, but it will be located in one place to see work that others have done and may be what you're looking for.

55 F100 on the darkside.

Well done is better than well said!
Old 10-23-2013, 08:27 PM
Freshman User

h2omelon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.h2omelon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:48 PM
Senior User

oldmanrvr5 is starting off with a positive reputation.
1956 ford truck frame with a camaro subframe, air bag system installed and many other mods.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:49 PM
Elder User

Drewski 2 has a great reputation on FTE.Drewski 2 has a great reputation on FTE.Drewski 2 has a great reputation on FTE.Drewski 2 has a great reputation on FTE.Drewski 2 has a great reputation on FTE.
53-55 Instrument panel

I'm currently working on my butchered instrument panel. When I got my truck it had the original instrument panel cut up with a several different kinds of gauges mounted in an aluminum panel that was covered in fake wood grain.

I performed a little more surgery on the panel and opened it up where I could mount a real wood panel. I also sanded the rust and paint off the ring that surrounds the instrumets and buffed the ring. I plan to shoot this with adhesion promoter and clear coat. Lot cheaper than chrome and looks better than the paint and rust.

My wife ordered some new Autometer gauges and I searched through my scrap pile of wood in search of just the right piece.

I cut out 3 different panels.....one each in cherry, walnut, and red oak.

The cherry got my wife's vote and it does have some interesting patterns. I cut all the holes for gauges, signal lights and high beam. I'm currently working on the finish.

Updated 10-29-13

Several coats of clear automotive finish.

Install gauges.

55 F100 on the darkside.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:15 PM
Junior User

Doods54 is starting off with a positive reputation.
 photo photo4_zpse27072f6.jpg
Old 10-23-2013, 09:35 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doods54 View Post
Might want to tell us what you've got going on here.

55 F100 on the darkside.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:57 PM
Senior User

Rocketman55 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Drew, your post is very timely and I like your setup. I've been working toward something similar but using other materials beside wood. As I'm using redwood for my flatbed I kind of like the idea of having them match.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:21 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman55 View Post
Drew, your post is very timely and I like your setup. I've been working toward something similar but using other materials beside wood. As I'm using redwood for my flatbed I kind of like the idea of having them match.
I had leaned toward another aluminum panel, but I'm also going to do a console and I would like to incorporate some wood panels in it also. My build is a budget build and I just happen to have wood left over from other projects.

I think the matching wood would look great on your truck.

55 F100 on the darkside.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:57 PM
Senior User

Rocketman55 is starting off with a positive reputation.
ha ha, mine is a budget build as well. It keeps taking more of my budget.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:00 PM
Elder User

Home brewed running boards

A lot of you guys have seen this before so bear with me.....I'm checking to see how easy it is to copy paste old posts.

I had originally intended to use the stock looking ribbed running boards on my truck, but decided that the look didn't fit the truck. I decided to take a shot at making my own boards.

Using masonite and wood, I mocked up the shape I wanted.

Transferred the shape of the pattern to my metal blanks.

Lots of cutting, welding and grinding.

I had decided to exit the exhaust through the running board, so I fabbed a ring that would be used to form the character of the exhaust opening.

I had to extend the bottom edge of the board to make the exit point look correct. If I had this to do over I would have incorporated the extra material in my board blanks to avoid the extra welding.

Lots of smoothing, priming, and blocking.

It was a bunch of work, but cheap to build and not like everybody else. In hindsight, I would have tapered the running boards from where the exhaust exits all the way to the front where the board meets the front fender.

55 F100 on the darkside.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:01 AM
Elder User

jimcar-9 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jimcar-9 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I dont really know if this qualifies as fabrication but what the heck??

DinnerHill SpeedShop: Construction of KPH scale

DinnerHill SpeedShop: Speedometer

1956 F100 272 Y-block
Follow my restoration at: DinnerHill SpeedShop
Jimmy Carlsson
Old 10-24-2013, 08:42 AM
oldmerc

oldmerc has a great reputation on FTE.oldmerc has a great reputation on FTE.oldmerc has a great reputation on FTE.oldmerc has a great reputation on FTE.oldmerc has a great reputation on FTE.
Heres one . I needed a new battery box
Attached Images

Iffley Saskatchewan
Old 10-24-2013, 09:27 AM
Welder User

tinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to behold
I have to fab stuff almost for vehicles almost daily it seems.
One of the more fun projects was building a sheet metal break. I made it from steel I had laying around, it will bend 18 ga 4 foot wide. It could use some counterweights though if I ever get around to it...
Attached Images

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...uck-build.html
"you can call a pig a duck, but that won't make it quack!"
Old 10-24-2013, 09:55 AM
Elder User

ChuckRob has a great reputation on FTE.ChuckRob has a great reputation on FTE.ChuckRob has a great reputation on FTE.ChuckRob has a great reputation on FTE.
I needed to make mounts for my bucket seats. I wanted to be able to remove the seats quickly so that I could work under the dash.
Click the image to open in full size.

What Toy Should I Play With Today
Still A Kid After All These Years.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:47 AM
Postmaster

CharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to all
Complete core support setup for my 56 (and a Chevy bumper)...
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2013, 11:47 AM