Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-21-2014, 09:31 AM
Post Fiend

bobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to behold
Drew saw my post on another thread and suggested that I should put the picture up here about the pair of rusty fenders I bought a few weeks ago.

Here's what I got and what I'm have been doing the last few nights. You dry, sunny southwestern guys can stop laughing and go to another post. Up here in the rust belt these are considered normal, not really desired, but normal.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

I started on the right fender. It looked like someone must have had some kind of rack bolted to this fender and it got caught on something. Their were three 1/2" bolt holes and a nice 1/2" deep crease in the upper fender. There was also the normal rust.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hammered out the dent.

Made a patch panel for the rust out on the side of the fender.

Welded the hole closed and welded in the patch.

The inside support piece was rotted so I made a new one, I used a bent bolt, hammer and my bench vice to form the bead.

The front of the fender and bottom matting surface was also pretty far gone so I cut out the rusted metal, made a patch and welded it in. The front patch took a little time because it has a compound curve I had to shape.

I know some will think I'm wasting time on a set of fenders that are so far gone but I wanted to let people know that sometimes even the worst looking fenders can be saved. I also like a challenge and repairing rust.
48/51 F-4 flatbed (2 in 1)/49 8N tractor

www.fatfenderedtrucks.com

Old 02-21-2014, 09:39 AM
Elder User

jimcar-9 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jimcar-9 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Wow Nice work! I wouldn´t call that a waste! any day of the week

1956 F100 272 Y-block
Follow my restoration at: DinnerHill SpeedShop
Jimmy Carlsson
Old 02-21-2014, 10:26 AM
Senior User

gregstith is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.gregstith is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Excellent work Bob!! Much more satisfying than just bolting on a new fender. Cheaper too!
Old 02-21-2014, 07:49 PM
Postmaster

19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of
Bob, that's impressive! Well done. Thanks for posting.

54 F100
01 F150
Old 02-21-2014, 08:32 PM
Posting Guru

topmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to behold
Looks like works of art! Very nice, you make it look easy.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:30 PM
Elder User

Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.
My creation..

Well this isn't truck related but metal fab. I was pulling this off my bike today and this thread came to mind. Best I know to do is post this link and let you guys check it out on my motorcycle forum. Hope you enjoy as I know there are quite a few fellow bikers on here.....

Fabbed a Backrest Thingy.... - Suzuki Volusia Forums : Intruder Volusia and Boulevard Forum

'49 F1 239 Flathead
Click to see my Gallery http://tinyurl.com/p4xegzv
www.waynewaldrep.com/God
Old 04-19-2014, 09:17 PM
Post Fiend

bobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to behold
Not specifically old Ford truck related but it is something I made for my other project, my 1937 Buick.

The grills on these cars are made of pot metal and are prone to break into two pieces and like any other pot metal piece they deteriorate over time. To find an unbroken set with good chrome is getting impossible after 70 years. Some time back someone made reproduction pieces out of aluminum but they also don't fare well in the front of a car bouncing down the road.

Here's my solution made out of stainless steel, these should last forever, at least longer than the owner and car. There are 41 horizontal slats, 15 different lengths with a curve and the grill has a slight outward belly with a twist. I give a lot of thanks to Chris Freeman for helping make a welding jib to make these, well he did most of the work, I just got in the way:
Attached Images

48/51 F-4 flatbed (2 in 1)/49 8N tractor

www.fatfenderedtrucks.com

Old 04-20-2014, 01:17 AM
Senior User

Jules The Great is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Brake caliper mounting brackets I made to hold 1995 F250 calipersClick the image to open in full size..

Old 04-20-2014, 07:39 AM
Posting Guru

49willard has a very good reputation on FTE.49willard has a very good reputation on FTE.49willard has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobj49f2 View Post
Not specifically old Ford truck related but it is something I made for my other project, my 1937 Buick.

The grills on these cars are made of pot metal and are prone to break into two pieces and like any other pot metal piece they deteriorate over time. To find an unbroken set with good chrome is getting impossible after 70 years. Some time back someone made reproduction pieces out of aluminum but they also don't fare well in the front of a car bouncing down the road.

Here's my solution made out of stainless steel, these should last forever, at least longer than the owner and car. There are 41 horizontal slats, 15 different lengths with a curve and the grill has a slight outward belly with a twist. I give a lot of thanks to Chris Freeman for helping make a welding jib to make these, well he did most of the work, I just got in the way:
Very well done. Hats off to you and Chris!

49 F-1 Jag IFS, 3.70 9" rear, 383 stroked sbc, 700R4 AOD
Old 04-20-2014, 10:59 AM
Roast em' if you got 'em

bobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to behold
Nice work guys!!!

Here's my latest. I recently fabricated a lower dash panel to house my heater control panel, headlight switch, and ignition switch. Here's what I came up with;

More details in this thread;
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...-progress.html

Thanks
Bobby
1967 Jeepster Commando
1994 Harley Road King
Old 04-20-2014, 11:26 AM
Posting Guru

firstrider is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.firstrider is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Magic Air heater cover part

The small top vent pc. was missing from a Magic Air heater cover so one was fabbed from a pc. of sheet metal. Made a pattern out of tag board first. The hardest part was visualizing what it looked like flat & making the bends in the correct order .

Had 7 heater covers w/ fins missing so made some new ones a fuzz wider , used dremel to make very small slits in side of cover & secured not by welding . Tried that , it did not work .JB weld did the trick .

Heater cover had fin area messed up . Another cover had a large hole in the front where some one attached a 12 V motor & it stuck out the front but had all the fin areas good . So indexed the cover area on both ,cut out the good face and welded to the other .Placement was critical as it centers the motor in the housing . Checked it & was good .
Attached Images

1994 Dodge Ram Van ( the work truck ) ,1993 Dakota w/ 44k mi.,1952 F-1 the 1ST-RIDE ,23 T-Roadster w/ 426 wedge bored to 440 (85 % done ) ,1952 F-1 stock (under const) "Those of you who think you know it all are really annoying to those of us who do " Mark Donahue or Roger Penske Indy '71
Old 04-20-2014, 06:26 PM
Elder User

Lakotas53 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had to do a little fab work to the cowls and cab corners. Drivers side was the worst.
EDIT: I did something wrong, suppose to be pictures attached.
2005 VTX1800N (Relaxation)
Old 04-20-2014, 07:54 PM
Elder User

Gicknordon has a very good reputation on FTE.Gicknordon has a very good reputation on FTE.Gicknordon has a very good reputation on FTE.
gicknordon
This is an older picture but its the part im probably most proud of as far as fabricating. The bars and sway bar were bought it a kit but i made the cross members and notch.

1948 F-1 project 429 big block
Build thread for 48 http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...9-ford-f1.html
Photobucket album for 48 http://s1137.photobucket.com/albums/...don/49%20ford/
Old 04-20-2014, 10:09 PM
Freshman User

NapaRick is starting off with a positive reputation.
The previous owner covered the speaker hole with a piece of sheetmetal
which he screwed to the dashboard. Since I am in the middle of rewiring
the truck and I needed a place to mount the fuses and relays, I made this.

BEFORE

THIS IS THE FUSE PANEL BRACKET. I MADE IT OUT OF AN ALUMINUM
DOOR KICK PLATE!

FUSE PANEL MOUNTED. I COVERED THE ALUMINUM IN SEVERAL LAYERS
IN DUCT TAPE FOR INSULATION.

ACCESSORY SPEAKER COVER I GOT FROM VINTAGE FORD IN SACRAMENTO

WOOD SCREWS AND INSERT NUTS FROM THE HARDWARE STORE

I SCREWED THE STUDS INTO THE PLASTIC AND THE NUTS ARE EASY
TO SCREW ON AND OFF. IT IS VERY EASY TO REACH UNDER THE DASH
AND UNSCREW THEM WITH MY FINGERS SO THE PLATE CAN COME ON
AND OFF VERY EASILY.

HERE IT IS. TERRIBLE PHOTO BUT YOU GET THE IDEA

Old 04-21-2014, 09:33 PM
Posting Guru

truckeemtnfords has a very good reputation on FTE.truckeemtnfords has a very good reputation on FTE.truckeemtnfords has a very good reputation on FTE.
That is good that it comes apart easy, 'cuz I would never use duct tape for anything like you did. Once the dash gets hot in the Napa summer sun it will be a big gooey mess. If you must wrap it with something why not electrical tape? Other than that it looks like a great job.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:33 PM