Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Ford V6 > 2.6, 2.8, 2.9, 4.0 & SOHC 4.0 V6
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-23-2013, 07:56 PM
New User

tyler1987 is starting off with a positive reputation.
2.9L Heads

hello, I just got an 87 ranger, tore the engine down found a cracked head. I know these engines are pretty notorius for cracking heads. I was wondering where a good place to get new heads is? I dont want to get the same ones and have them crack again if the engine happens to overheat. I have heard that after 89 the heads were improved would it be best to go to the wreckers and pull the heads off a newer model or is there a company out there that has made improved ones? Thanks
Old 10-24-2013, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

TigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputation
Welcome to FTE!
World Products made a head for these for that very reason. I don't believe they still make them but you may get lucky and find a set somewhere. I just did a quick Google search and came up a with a few sites that still listed them but showed them as unavailable, so unless you can find some NOS new, you're probably limited to used ones.

I had a set on my 2.9, in fact I did a writeup on the swap here on the site years ago, but when I finally yanked the 2.9 out of my '89 and swapped in a 5.0 I sold those heads. Here's the article just for the heck of it:

2.9 Ranger Head Replacement .: Articles

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:32 PM
New User

tyler1987 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I read that article awhile ago, its actually quite helpful. I havent been able to find any used ones, but does anyone think it is worth it to get the heads redone with new valves and all or do you think they will end up cracking in the future?
Old 01-28-2014, 10:53 PM
Senior User

jimbbski is starting off with a positive reputation.
Later 2.9L heads were revised and less crack prone. Look for heads from a 1989 or later 2.9L.
There is a good write up at a website called "The Ranger Station".

I owned a 2.9L Ranger and used it hard towing my race car with a 2 axle open car trailer, sold it to my nephew and he drove it ever harder. At 180K miles is was still running fine when he sold it.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:53 PM