Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-22-2013, 07:23 PM
Postmaster

SkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant future
He will get what he is after and he'll be happy about it. The difference here is splitting hairs and the butt dyno always favors the anticipated results.

I've said why I didnt think it was a good plan as far as economics vs performance, but I don't have any reason to argue about it.

Let us know how ya like it hamster!!!
Old 10-22-2013, 09:32 PM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason View Post
I know someone who went from stock to 1.0 housing with stock injectors, maybe that's the guy you want to hear from.
I'm one of those guys. And like I posted earlier when I agreed with your statement, I saw no performance gains. And like your statement that I agreed with, I did it as a preventive measure against surge happening while towing my travel-trailer.

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 10-22-2013, 10:17 PM
Posting Guru

JT250 has a good reputation on FTE.JT250 has a good reputation on FTE.JT250 has a good reputation on FTE.
I feel that this is now going nowhere. Nobody has an answer to your original question and it seems like you already have your mind made up anyway.
I'm sure PHPs test was done on a stock turbo. Those numbers aren't surprising. A 1.15 on a stock turbo makes no sense to me.
Sorry we couldnt help. In the future be aware that people are Sharing their opinions and it is best not to take things personally.
2.5" leveling kit, F-350 rear blocks, Remote start, AFE II, 4" turbo back, Riffraff wheel, HFO, T-5 hpop, FRx, HPx, 50 cent mod, CCV mod, Hutch, Harpoon, 20" Diamos wrapped in 305 NITTOS, Stage 1.5 30% Single shot, Hydra with tunes from Gearhead.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:36 PM
aka Redneck Wrencher

mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.
Roland Mueck
I ran an ATS 1.0 turbine and ATS ported compressor housings with a stock wheel on my stock turbo. I really loved the combination with stock injectors and tuning. Nice spool up and slightly lower EGTs. I sold it to another member who was equally as pleased. I'm sure with a billet wheel, it would have performed even better.
IMHO, there is no "voodoo" when it comes to like sized turbine housings. I would go with the best value.
'01 F-250 Lariat CC SB 4x4, DP Tuner F6 (live tuned), AFE II w/ Pete's Cover, GTP38R w/ RR billet whl & cross drilled 1.0, 6.0 Techni-cooler, Full Force SS Injectors, Stealth HPOP, Fluidampr, Melling M-208, Walbro FP, mueckster Reg Return & Bowl delete, Comp Cams 910's, mueckster 4R100, 4" SS MBRP, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Truetrac rear ...SOLD...
Old 10-22-2013, 10:39 PM
Senior User

DHamSTER has a good reputation on FTE.DHamSTER has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mueckster View Post
I ran an ATS 1.0 turbine and ATS ported compressor housings with a stock wheel on my stock turbo. I really loved the combination with stock injectors and tuning. Nice spool up and slightly lower EGTs. I sold it to another member who was equally as pleased. I'm sure with a billet wheel, it would have performed even better.
IMHO, there is no "voodoo" when it comes to like sized turbine housings. I would go with the best value.
Thank you man!!! The best answer I have gotten in the last 2 days! Your opinion is exactly what I was looking for!
Old 11-18-2013, 09:47 PM

cookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant future
f250juggernaut
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHamSTER View Post
Im not getting something thats nonwastegated...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason View Post
Spoken like someone who really doesn't understand all of this yet... Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHamSTER View Post
Please elaborate then....
It's pretty simple. A stone stock turbo can make 30 psi all day every day for years on end. 30 psi is also well below what the engine can handle. So if you're not damaging the motor and your not damaging the turbo then what is the purpose of the wastegate? The answer is nothing. All that open wastegate is doing is making the turbo less efficient by bleeding off drive pressure that could otherwise be put to the ground.

I do tend to agree that the 1.0 housing is the best "All around" housing for stock or mild sticks and a chip... but again.. the wastegate question is neither relevant, or needed.

One thing that nobody has pointed out is that you may end up pretty disappointed with your new set up. When you install larger housings and split profile wheels you are setting that turbo up to either handle extreme drive pressures, or to stay cool towing heavy...... but with stock tuning and stock sticks your new big turbo will be a dog. It will take forever to spool and your boost numbers will be far below what you expect. You simply won't have the drive pressure to make use of the big slow turbo.

Once you plug in the hot rod tuning the modded turbo will shine..... but stock vs. stock the .84 turbine and stock wheel will kill your modded turbo.
79 Bronco Ranger XLT.. used be the driver, now waiting to become the project.
96 Grand Marquis LS... 25 mpg commuter
Old 11-18-2013, 09:47 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel