6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Damaged Truck, Poor Design is to blame!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 04:04 PM
jfralph
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damaged Truck, Poor Design is to blame!

My second hunting season with the new truck has started. Already, I have sustained damage. The front valance and support structure was damaged on a section of road that requires 4x4 only because it has some steep sections. Seems the approach and departure angles for this truck have been seriously compromised from previous models. I have had both my other Superdutys on this road without a problem. All similiar trucks with similiar set up. Last year, the truck had the front valance torn loose in deep snow. Last year was a very poor snow year, even so, I was plowing snow with the valance on several ocasions. I had to reattach. This year, easing through a wash on the main road, I contacted front valance @ the support on the passenger side. The front support is pushed back, with an ugly scar on the valance. On the return trip, I drug the towing receiver and had the snap covers on the trailer plugs pick up a rock. I have already convinced myself that I will not drive many of the roads I normally would hunt from. Strictly in an effort to minimize body damage.

I realize the valance probably has something to do with improving cooling and/or fuel economy for this truck. But for those of us that might actually use a truck for what it was purchased for, very frustrating. I just can't imagine a rancher purchasing one of these trucks and heading out to the grazing allotment to mend fence.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:11 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Sounds like you need a lift

I'm surprised I haven't ripped mine off yet to be honest

Old 10-21-2013, 04:32 PM
ScottyDog
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ditto with 2ndStroke. Thinking it's just a matter of time...
Sorry for the headaches Ralph.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:33 PM
BLKSVT
Freshman User
Lift her up....I don't hit nothin

Old 10-21-2013, 04:40 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jfralph
My second hunting season with the new truck has started. Already, I have sustained damage. The front valance and support structure was damaged on a section of road that requires 4x4 only because it has some steep sections. Seems the approach and departure angles for this truck have been seriously compromised from previous models. I have had both my other Superdutys on this road without a problem. All similiar trucks with similiar set up. Last year, the truck had the front valance torn loose in deep snow. Last year was a very poor snow year, even so, I was plowing snow with the valance on several ocasions. I had to reattach. This year, easing through a wash on the main road, I contacted front valance @ the support on the passenger side. The front support is pushed back, with an ugly scar on the valance. On the return trip, I drug the towing receiver and had the snap covers on the trailer plugs pick up a rock. I have already convinced myself that I will not drive many of the roads I normally would hunt from. Strictly in an effort to minimize body damage.

I realize the valance probably has something to do with improving cooling and/or fuel economy for this truck. But for those of us that might actually use a truck for what it was purchased for, very frustrating. I just can't imagine a rancher purchasing one of these trucks and heading out to the grazing allotment to mend fence.
When they introduced the 2011, Ford engineers came on here and we asked them why they fitted such a low front valance that will get hit off-road - they responded saying its only there for fuel economy and to remove it if you need the approach angle.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:54 PM
ScottyDog
Elder User
Good input Big350.
I was going to remove mine so that I could see a little more of the bling, but aerodynamics can be a good thing too, crossed over the state line from Idaho to Utah this weekend, those boys raised the speed limit to 80 mph (which means 90 mph right?) - drive it like you stole it!
I wait until I do a Ralph before it comes off...

Old 10-21-2013, 05:38 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
While I understand your frustration there are "mods" you can to your truck to improve this. As I was just reading somebody on here swapped their 4WD valence for a 2WD which is shorter and up higher. Also, there will be two steel stoppers that I assume are to prevent if you had an accident the frame from going on top of the other car. These also can be removed to increase your clearance in the front. I also plan to utilize my truck to hunt and will require it to go through similar terrain. I will take a video of the things i'm talking about on my truck. I haven't done the mod, but plan on doing it especially after talking about with my friend about removing it and now seeing 3+ threads about it. Video will be up in like 15 minutes.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:56 PM
riden82
Senior User
Those 2 big metal brackets behind the valence are the snow plow mounts. I took mine off as i will never plow with this truck.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:57 PM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I removed mine during the first week of truck ownership, and it has stayed off. Stupidest piece of plastic ever in my opinion. Just tuck the foglamp wiring harness up into the bumper (if applicable). I see many trucks running around town with half-attached valences with large pieces missing out of it, and I'm thinking like, ok just take it off already!

I played with flipping the brackets up, and actually ran that way for some time before completely removing them.
(Man, look at how shiny my front axle was back when the truck was new!)

With a lift, it has the visual effect of making the lift look a bit taller too. Although I'm gonna go for a bumper replacement sometime in the near future anyway.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:12 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
As promised, here is just a video of the pieces and what you can do. I will probably do this to my rig once I do my DPF Delete.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:31 AM
jfralph
Elder User
Lift isn't in the cards.

While lifts look cool, and do add some off-road capability, not practicle for towing. I tow 4 different trailers with the heaviest a fithwheel setup weighing in at 15k. Also, my wife is tired of climbing into my jeep which is lifted and VERY capable offroad, just not hunting compatible.

The bracket is toast. If it was intended for snowplow mounting, I hope the snow is light and the plow is small because there is more meat on my atv plow mount than on this bracket. Maybe I just don't understand the use of the bracket in a snowplow application (Most likely scenario).

Tofan, thanks, I didn't know about the 2 wheel drive valance being shorter. I will look into it. Second, the brackets will come off, I see no need for them.

Trent310, I will consider just removing it, I can't imagine much of an aerodynamic penalty with out it.

BTW, what I really need, is to replace the running boards with the moveable ones. Just can't jutify the cost just yet. I like the factory ones, they, in conjuction with the big mudflaps keep about 70% of the junk off the side of the truck. On my first truck, I crossed a frozen creek and contacted the running boards on the ice buildup and the running boards exploded doing about $5k worth of damage to side of cab and bed. I need to prevent that in the future. On my 2005 F-350 I had taken the factory boards off in the winter and driven without them. However, then I needed to pack a step for my wife (who is vertically challenged) to climb into the cab. Also, the mounting deteriated (RUSTED) to the point I could not remove them without damaging them or the truck.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:59 PM
B&LLandscaping
Senior User
I replaced the stock 4X4 valence with the 2WD valence. Well worth the $100 IMHO for the improved look alone, let alone not worrying about ripping it off on every snow bank or ditch.

I haven't noticed any difference in mpg, cooling, wind noise, etc...

Old 10-22-2013, 03:31 PM
Boston Mike
Junior User
I went the Ranchhand route...................bullnose replacement. No more valence.

:grin:

Old 10-23-2013, 09:24 AM
Lastwagen
Senior User
The brackets are blocker beam brackets. Where a blocker beam used to be bolted between the two it would now be welded to them. However, they are in place to prevent a lower vehicle from sliding under the truck as in a frontal collision. I think you could face some liability issues by modifying or removing them should you have a wreck. If anyone remembers, the blocker beam came about with the introduction of the Excursion.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:12 AM
ScottyDog
Elder User
Wait, what, those brackets are going to stop a vehicle from sliding under in an impact, hmmm..?

• Where did you purchase your 2WD valence B&L, is it an OE Ford thang or after market?
Originally Posted by B&LLandscaping
I replaced the stock 4X4 valence with the 2WD valence. Well worth the $100 IMHO for the improved look alone, let alone not worrying about ripping it off on every snow bank or ditch.

I haven't noticed any difference in mpg, cooling, wind noise, etc...

Quick Reply: Damaged Truck, Poor Design is to blame!