1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

How to clean fuel injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 12:53 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to clean fuel injectors?

I figured I'd ask you guys this question first before hitting up the later model forums. It's not about my truck, but fuel injection in general.

Just this morning, I drained about 20 gallons of three year old gas out of my '95 Cherokee. It would burn but not very well. If I snapped the throttle, it would spit and try to die.

I already plan on a new filter right off the bat, but what's a good way to clean the injectors? Are there any cleaners that you guys could suggest (Lucas Injector Cleaner and B12 come to mind), or would it be best to just pull the injectors and soak them or something? It has six injectors, but I'm not sure if it's SEFI, MFI, or what. I just know it's got six next to where the intake mounts to the head and the throttle body is further up the intake.

Later on, I'm going to be looking into upgrading to some Ford Mustang injectors since they're said to provide better atomization as well as somewhat more fuel at WOT and supposedly better gas mileage.

And for those who are curious, this is what came out of the tank. The trash in the cup is just some dirt that was already in it. We drained it straight out of the schrader valve on the fuel rail, and all the fuel that came out had been filtered already. No clue what's in the bottom of the tank though.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:10 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
BG 44K
<!-- xxx -->

Old 10-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
I have never bought any, just have seen it advertised. They have these cans of fuel injection cleaner that you buy and hook directly into the fuel line going to the engine. You disconnect the electric fuel pump and put the can directly to the line going to the engine, and run the engine on this stuff. I don't know where you would get it, and I have never used it before. But it's supposed to be pretty potent stuff.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:42 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ctubutis
BG 44K
<!-- xxx -->
I think your hitmul has 404'd, sir.

Originally Posted by Franklin2
I have never bought any, just have seen it advertised. They have these cans of fuel injection cleaner that you buy and hook directly into the fuel line going to the engine. You disconnect the electric fuel pump and put the can directly to the line going to the engine, and run the engine on this stuff. I don't know where you would get it, and I have never used it before. But it's supposed to be pretty potent stuff.
I'll look into it. Not sure how it would work though, since it runs about 40psi fuel pressure, and I doubt I can squeeze the bottle hard enough to maintain that for very long. lol

Wednesday I'm going to be putting some fresh gas in, so we'll see how it runs. I still have an electrical issue to track down with the fuel gauge though, it still reads full with an empty tank. But the low fuel light went out, so something's different. The joys of electronic instrument clusters.

EDIT: Oh and the guy who came and took all that fuel off my hands....he put it in his Focus with some octane booster. Full tank worth and then some. I was surprised since my Jeep ran like junk on the stuff and had barely any power. Oh well, didn't cost me anything! lol

Old 10-22-2013, 05:05 AM
CountryBumkin
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKirbyMan
I think your hitmul has 404'd, sir.

I'll look into it. Not sure how it would work though, since it runs about 40psi fuel pressure, and I doubt I can squeeze the bottle hard enough to maintain that for very long. lol

Wednesday I'm going to be putting some fresh gas in, so we'll see how it runs. I still have an electrical issue to track down with the fuel gauge though, it still reads full with an empty tank. But the low fuel light went out, so something's different. The joys of electronic instrument clusters.

EDIT: Oh and the guy who came and took all that fuel off my hands....he put it in his Focus with some octane booster. Full tank worth and then some. I was surprised since my Jeep ran like junk on the stuff and had barely any power. Oh well, didn't cost me anything! lol
The professional cleaner is a kit where (at least the ones I'm familiar with) you attach an air pressure to the cleaner cartridge and adjust pressure to read what pressure is needed on the gauge (like 36 psi or 44 psi or whatever). Then you disconnect the return fuel line and plug it (the tool/kit has plugs) and pull the fuel pump relay. Then you run the engine until all the cleaner is used up and the engine stalls. Such as this one Great deal on OTC Tools 7448 at ToolTopia.com
I have seen (in my tool/parts flyers/catelogs) pressurized cans of cleaner with a hose (to attach to Schrader valve) - sort of like AC charging cans. But I don't know how they would maintain pressure as the cleaner empties.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:16 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Well, I installed six brand new spark plugs (NGK V-Power) and put in about 5-6 dollars of fresh 93 octane gas. It runs better, but it still has a bad hesitation if I blip the throttle at first startup. My mom's Jeep doesn't do that, so I know that something's still needing attention.

I'm starting to think that hand-cleaning the injectors would be my best bet. If the plugs I took out today are any indication of what's in the fuel system, I'm gonna have my work cut out for me. The plugs were nasty. Also looked like they were gapped even bigger than my truck's plugs, and those are .060, so they've probably been in there for a while.