Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Tell Me About Your AMP Research Deployable Running Boards?

Old 09-26-2013, 08:34 PM
ChiefGReid
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell Me About Your AMP Research Deployable Running Boards?

I've just purchased a set on-line as I absolutely HATE the plastic running boards on my 2013 King Ranch.

I LOVE the truck, but, those plastic things have got to go! I like the look of the deployable running boards and went with the AMP as they have a better warranty.

If you have them, please post a picture of them.

Give me your opinion of them. Would you buy them again?

Old 09-26-2013, 08:59 PM
KJ Smith
Laughing Gas
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
I have a Platinum, they come with them.

Would not own another truck without them.

They are perfect.

The step comes down low and out farther.

Nice wide secure step.

One neat thing on the Plat is you can disable them out to protect your truck in tight parking.

I agree with you on the KR boards. I think you will be happy.

Nice clean look when they are up.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:18 PM
ralphhood3
Senior User
I have a platinum too, and while at first I thought there's no way they'd be worth it, I've come to like them.

There's been a couple times they've busted my shins because I was in a hurry to get in or out of my truck and they hit me on their way down, but that's my fault. I agree they come down lower and farther out than any other brand I've had on another truck, so for me at 6'5" they're the first steps I've ever found actually usable and not something I just get frustrated stepping past.

KJ, good tip on tight parking, I'd never thought of that, and it makes perfect sense when you mention it.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:20 AM
Going_Going_Gone
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have an XLT 4X4 and a short wife. Compared to the Ford running boards/step bars these deploy to the ideal height for entry and exit...for her and for me. To me, they were well worth the additional cost over factory step bars which are too close to the door sill. I've had mine on almost four years now with no problems.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:35 AM
jacknbella
Senior User
I had them in my 2010 Plat and my wife had them in her Tahoe. If you live in a northern climate where snow and ice are common, you'll hate deployable running boards because they get jammed up far too easily then stop working altogether. They also need to be "lubricated" quite frequently too because they can make a ton of noise or freeze up. My two cents.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:31 PM
SuperDuty Wannabe
Tuned
Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts
I've had the Amp Power Steps on my previous Pick-up. I swore I'd never have another truck without them. But....my current 13' Lariat already has $655. boards, my selling dealer wasn't really in the market to start trading accessories. So....at $1200. it may be awhile.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:33 PM
traveller1002000
Freshman User
I have the AMP on my 2013 Lariat. Had them put on at the dealer because the tube type on it was actually an accident waiting to happen! Too close and high and would be slippery in the snow and ice.
I had the retractable factory ones on my 2010 Platinum and really liked them once I got used to them and that is why I had the AMP installed. As far as jamming up in Ice and snow it doesn't happen if you have a set of mud flaps in front of them.
I never had problem with the ones on the Platinum. I'm in Montana so we do get some snow every now and then, enough to test them. Go to AMP web site and view their video to see how they look.
Bill

Old 09-30-2013, 02:57 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Never seen them before so I went to their website and it looks like a good product. Would be a nice upgrade to the small boards that came on my FX4. I can only get the heel of my boot on the step when I'm getting out of the cab. Too many things grabbing at my wallet right now...but I wil consider them in the future.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:13 AM
karlduke
Senior User
I also like the Amp power steps but it is really expensive so I ended up with Nfab nerf bar.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:44 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I love them on my platinum and actually was another reason why I wanted the platinum. They can be a tad noisy when deploying at times but they are AWESOME. You can use the entire board to step on and they also have an LED light kit you can add to light up the steps when deployed. They also have a safety feature in case so thing blocks them or gets stuck in them they will not retract I deploy. Like others have said with the platinum I can chose to turn them off, leave them deployed (for cleaning), or have them in auto.

The tube style boards and a lot of the others I have seen do not allow you to actually put your whole foot on them to get in the truck. If you can't use them for what they are designed for then why have them on the trucks???? You will love the Amps...trust me.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:38 AM
ddbck
Senior User
Yes the Amp's are really top notch quality. They do great here in Wyoming. The snow, ice,& slush have never made them hesitate on deployment or retraction, even when temps are down in the -20's. I cant wait to get a set for my new truck. The only pic I could find is with them retracted. They do also protect the under side & are virtually invisible when retracted.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:09 AM
Desert Dawg
Freshman User
The AMP steps are great. I had them on my '08 F250 FX4, '09 F150 FX4, and had the factory ones on my '11 F150 Platinum. I am going to get another set for my '13 F150 FX4.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:08 PM
The Oldtimer
Senior User
I had amps installed when I had my leveling kit installed a week after I bought my 04 FX4. I finally had them repaired because after 9 years they became intermittent. 100 bucks later they were as good as new. There is no way I would ever own a pickup without them. In my opinion, both the factory and aftermarket steps/tubes are worthless when you compare them to the amps.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:13 AM
Richie B
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMP Running Boards

I replaced the stock running boards on my 2012 F150 XLT back in may with a pair of AMP steps. It was the best thing I ever did to the truck. The steps now come down to the proper height making it easier to enter and exit the truck not to mention they look better than the stock running boards.

Get a set and you will not be disappointed.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:19 AM
ChiefGReid
Tuned
Originally Posted by Richie B
I replaced the stock running boards on my 2012 F150 XLT back in may with a pair of AMP steps. It was the best thing I ever did to the truck. The steps now come down to the proper height making it easier to enter and exit the truck not to mention they look better than the stock running boards.

Get a set and you will not be disappointed.
Mine will be installed today. Will post pics when it's done.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tell Me About Your AMP Research Deployable Running Boards?