2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Versus suburban

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 08:28 PM
Badhousepet
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Versus suburban

Torn between a burb ltz and the el limited 4x2

Things I like on ford: fold flat seats, lync, 2 DVD sources vs 1, electronics

Things I like on Chevy: smoother ride, looks/wheels, Bose, engine power

Using it for road trips, tow a boat in future, and transporting peeps around the way

Old 04-17-2013, 09:42 PM
rexster314
Senior User
I've not been that impressed with the Bose system in GM's

Old 04-17-2013, 11:02 PM
03 SVT VERT
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I own a Suburban. Granted it's an older model (with a diesel), but if I was to replace it I would go with an Expedition. Preferably a diesel Expedition if they ever offer it.

The big killer with the Suburban for me is the third row. If you need to move something large, you usually have to take out the third row completely. This is a real pain, literally. The seats are heavy and cumbersome, even for me. Never mind the wife or kiddies trying to take them out.

Because of this, I basically leave the third row out of the truck most of the time. Which, really defeats the purpose of buying the Suburban in the first place.

Another thing I didn't like about the newer Suburbans is that you actually have to pay extra for a two-speed transfer case now, otherwise it's single speed AWD only. You pay all that extra money for a 4x4 Suburban and they don't even give you a real transfer case.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:28 AM
Badhousepet
New User
i'm heavily leaning towards the ford just because of the seat thing

i also think the ford has a better price point and feature list with its limited vs. the chevy LT. I feel like I have to get an LTZ to even make it worth it and on the ford side i can easily skip the king ranch

also they didnt have an EL for me to drive, so that may have contributed as to why the ride felt more stiff

Old 04-18-2013, 09:10 AM
Dogwood36322
Senior User
The Burb tow package only offers 3.43 gears. The Expedtion 3.73. If you plan on much towing the gears will make a difference.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:42 AM
Johnny Law
Junior User
I purchased a 2011 EL to replace my '96 Suburban which I ended up keeping. However, a deal breaker over the newer Suburban is that the back when all seats are folded down is not an 8' bed (Interestingly my '96 will). Makes it difficult to use it as a utility vehicle hauling lumber and the like.

Just another reason to choose and Expedition EL over the Suburban.

Johnny

Old 04-19-2013, 10:49 AM
slenser
More Turbo
Be sure you sit in that third row too. I don't know if there's a difference between the Suburban and the Escalade ESV, but my kids couldn't sit comfortably in the third row of the Escalade...foot room was terrible.

The folding third row is very nice.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:22 PM
cdmm151
Senior User
I've own both Suburb's and Tahoe's and I am like the Expy better. The sound system is better than the Bose which it is not really a Bose. The ride is better. Seats fold all the way down GM don't. The thing I don't like about the Expy is it is a little out dated on the dash and nav system.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:36 PM
rexster314
Senior User
Originally Posted by cdmm151
The thing I don't like about the Expy is it is a little out dated on the dash and nav system.
nc

Agreed, the dash is a little slab sided, and the nav could be more flashier, but on the Ford Community Forum, after reading it and the problems people are having with MFT and it's limitations, I'm rather glad I have the tried and true nav that works all the time, Sync works flawlessly and with my LockPick does more than the MFT stuff.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:00 PM
montecarlo31
Elder User
Originally Posted by cdmm151
I've own both Suburb's and Tahoe's and I am like the Expy better. The sound system is better than the Bose which it is not really a Bose. The ride is better. Seats fold all the way down GM don't. The thing I don't like about the Expy is it is a little out dated on the dash and nav system.
Actually as a huge audiophile I will disagree. The GM unit is able to separate out the tone frequencies better and anything over about 95 db in the expedition sounds strained and distorted. A portion of the system is BOSE contrary to what all say or pull out of their butts and say without having FACTS.

We looked hard at the Yukon but we couldn't get a Yukon even close to the price of the expedition we purchased even with our fleet pricing (we landed a King Ranch 4x4, nav, 3.73s, sunroof, power running boards and rear air suspension for under 45,300 (I had to go back and look at my paperwork). If the price were the same I'd be driving the Yukon for two reasons, a much better engine than the 5.4 and the 3rd row isn't something we need /use so it didn't matter. In the 4 years I owned my 2500 suburban the seats were only in it for 2 days, the day I purchased and the day I sold.

Both my suburban and expedition were company trucks, I drove both with zero issues except the suburban seat switch broke on the side (the power forward or back buttons) and the expedition had a steering sensor failure for the stability control system. Other than that both units were trouble free less brakes, oil and tires.

Don't forget the expedition only get's a 2 star rating on the side pole test while the suburban gets a 4 or 5 star. But to me it came down to money, I have zero brand loyalty and could care less who has what.

On a side note with less than 300 miles my new king ranch is heading to the shop monday with a whirling / whining noise from the left front. This makes the 2nd new personal vehicle I've purchased that had to go in for work within 30 days of buying. The other was a silverado.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:24 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,220 Likes on 803 Posts
Until I started doing some digging, I thought the 6.2L was still an option in the GM SUV's, apparently I was wrong.

All GM SUV's are using the same 5.3L engine no matter the trim level or configuration.

I'll take the 5.4L any day and twice on Sundays.

The Expy EL carries a 15000 GCVW rating where as the Burb carries a max of 14000 lbs.

The tow rating for the EL 4x4 is 8700 lbs, the Burb, 8000 lbs. Not a big difference in tow rating but a huge difference in payload.

The Yukon, fagetaboutit. It's just pretty and that's all.

Again, the 5.3L engine, 4x2 14000 lb GCVW rating, 4x4 drops to 11000 lbs. Tow rating for the 4x2 is a very stout 8500 lbs and the 4x4 is an embarrassing 5200. I'm not getting why the Yukon has a 3000 lb difference between the 4x2 and the 4x4 where as the Burb does not.

You want capability? The Expy wins hands down and it will only get stronger once the new engines come on line.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:58 PM
montecarlo31
Elder User
Originally Posted by tseekins
Until I started doing some digging, I thought the 6.2L was still an option in the GM SUV's, apparently I was wrong.

All GM SUV's are using the same 5.3L engine no matter the trim level or configuration.

I'll take the 5.4L any day and twice on Sundays.

The Expy EL carries a 15000 GCVW rating where as the Burb carries a max of 14000 lbs.

The tow rating for the EL 4x4 is 8700 lbs, the Burb, 8000 lbs. Not a big difference in tow rating but a huge difference in payload.

The Yukon, fagetaboutit. It's just pretty and that's all.

Again, the 5.3L engine, 4x2 14000 lb GCVW rating, 4x4 drops to 11000 lbs. Tow rating for the 4x2 is a very stout 8500 lbs and the 4x4 is an embarrassing 5200. I'm not getting why the Yukon has a 3000 lb difference between the 4x2 and the 4x4 where as the Burb does not.

You want capability? The Expy wins hands down and it will only get stronger once the new engines come on line.
Typical intertard. 6.2 is avail in the yukon denali and caddy. The 4x4 does not drop to 5200 lbs. Did you learn selective reading skills from this site? Oh btw gm rates the 5.3 at 250k miles lto why doesn't ford give a rating on their 5.4? Why does gm give 40k more powertrain warranty than ford?

Edit one more for the short bus crew leader....the yukon and expedition are almost lb for lb running the came CCC rating. You have a lot to learn but I doubt you will actually post anything factual.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:30 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,220 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by montecarlo31
Typical intertard. 6.2 is avail in the yukon denali and caddy. The 4x4 does not drop to 5200 lbs. Did you learn selective reading skills from this site? Oh btw gm rates the 5.3 at 250k miles lto why doesn't ford give a rating on their 5.4? Why does gm give 40k more powertrain warranty than ford?

Edit one more for the short bus crew leader....the yukon and expedition are almost lb for lb running the came CCC rating. You have a lot to learn but I doubt you will actually post anything factual.
WOW! That's really rude. I have no issues with being corrected if I'm proven wrong but your insults have no place here.

I guess you made a strong case for the GM, enjoy that.

You got the attention you wanted / needed.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:24 AM
rexster314
Senior User
Totally inappropriate, correcting is ok, it's normal, but not the name calling insults that were also posted

Old 04-25-2013, 10:30 PM
montecarlo31
Elder User
ignorance, stupidity, failure of reading comprehension and illiteracy are also inexcusable but it seems to still run ramped in this forum and America.

If you are going to spout off about how much better your expedition is do it with FACTS not verbal diarrhea that can not be backed up.

The Yukon is rated to pull 8,200 lbs vs the claimed 9,000 of the Expedition, a whole 800 lbs difference. It should also be noted that GM rated their trucks to the SAE tow rating as agreed to by Ford but Ford won't rate theirs till they re-design each model, go figure...

I don't want / need attention, what I would enjoy is fewer stupid posts in this forum and more factual posts.

Let's post another fact...side pole test...Yukon 5 star, Expedition 2 star. Yikes...

Quick Reply: Versus suburban