Sponsored by: DP Tuner

CLutch and up pipe replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 11:23 AM
aquartlow
Mountain Pass
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
CLutch and up pipe replacement

I just had to replace my Southbend CON-OFE clutch(pressureplate,flywheel, throwout bearing, Kevlar pilot bearing) in my '00 F250 4x4, pretty upset about the SB's longevity, not lasting as long as the supposed "sorry" factory clutch. I went with a factory replacement due to cost and longevity I experienced using the SB. Due to the failed SB clutch disc it ate up the wear surface of the flywheel, so to re-install a SB required another flywheel which had to be ordered. I still had to replace the flywheel( go back to factory solid flywheel) since the SB clutch works only with their clutch . The factory clutch went to about 173K and the SB CON-OFE went from 175 to 262K. The SB's clutch disc was failing, spring pockets were damaged and the springs were broke and/or falling out hitting the flywheel causing the flywheel to be damaged as well. While in there I installed a pilot bearing repair kit(Southbend's Kevlar pilot worked for a while, it quieted the gear "rollover" grinding sound when new, after 6 months it was back). The kit uses a sealed needle bearing to be installed in the flywheel with a wear sleeve installed onto the input shaft of the trans(help IMMENSELY with noise and smoothness) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-ZF-5-6-Speed-Input-Shaft-Repair-Kit-6-9-7-3-/221267355701?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item33848fe835&vxp=mtr#ht_0wt_0While having the trans removed I tackled the up pipes due to leaking at the gasket surfaces. I had to choose between a $200 or $500 solution, I went with the more economical choice. I purchased a Dorman 679-005

kit and it fit great, no issues with longer bolts others have mentioned. I purchased the kit from my local Advanced Auto parts store for $192 and as of now I couldn't be happier with my choice. The only hiccups were getting the clamp tightened on the Y-connector to the turbo and a couple of bolts @ the passenger side exhaust manifold that had to be broke or torched off, a couple cuss words later everything was good.
I am not here to throw Southbend under the bus, they are a reputable company with great products and service. I was just awestruck to find a much, much better recommended/praised/touted and costly product had failed (clutch friction material was in great shape) without even coming close to the much less desirable factory clutch in terms of age AND/OR mileage. Not meant to be a rant, just trying to relay my experience. Todd

Old 10-20-2013, 11:50 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Hey Todd, i too went the sleeve kit route. Mine was torn up, to say the least. So far and 50K+, still smooth as silk and bearing being rightthere. I just removed my trans last month (broken TO bearing) and sleeve and bearing still holding good and no wears to mention. I also ordered/got my dormans but fasiled to install with trans out last month, do to time and needing my truck back on road. Glad to hear, both are workn out and your stoked.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:34 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Did you call South bend? Doesn't seem like the springs should fall apart. There mitt of been an issue there they mitt of made good on.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:17 PM
aquartlow
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Did you call South bend? Doesn't seem like the springs should fall apart. There mitt of been an issue there they mitt of made good on.
I probably could have called Peter @ Southbend but they only warrant the clutch assembly for 1 year, the clutch was installed in '08(Peter is a great guy and has helped me when I ordered my flywheel/Kevlar bushing for my application, his service & reputation are second to none, no complaints there). On one hand I shouldn't have anything to complain about, due to the age of the clutch, but on the other hand I feel that the Southbend CON-OFE didn't live up to it's reputation. I am not hard on my truck, heck it still has all the factory U-joints, I even have the factory alternator @ 262K miles. I was hoping to get at least the same mileage out of it as my factory clutch(173K miles), oh well. I can not afford to beat on my truck, it's a piece of equipment that I use day-in day-out to provide for me and my family, without it I am dead in the water. I left well enough alone and figured I purchased what I needed/wanted in the SB clutch and I can only guess this is it's life expectancy(around 90k miles ), I can tell you that I lived and learned from this experience. Bonanza35 and Timmyboy76, I do appreciate both of your respected comments. Todd

Old 11-01-2013, 12:33 PM
aquartlow
Mountain Pass
Just an update. I finally towed my 20 ft gooseneck equipment trailer from central Fl to FL panhandle loaded to about 9k and everything went great. NO MORE LEAKS, More boost, lower EGT readings and slightly better milage(1/2-1 MPG) after installing the Dorman 679-005 bellowed up-pipe kit. The Carquest replacement clutch performed as it should without a hint of slippage, even towing on decent grades using 50hp and 80hp TS Performance chip settings. I have noticed that since the up-pipe install I no longer have the turbo surge or chuffing sound when climbing hills as the boost gets to 16 lbs and up. I had a steady 8-9 lbs on flat ground @ 73mph and 24-25 lbs when climbing hills with 1100-1200 EGT. So far so good, I will have to see how long I am happy with the Dormans, right now all is good.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Glad to see it worked out.