Sponsored by: Moser

CA smog tricks?/cheats

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 01:46 PM
Bftford
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CA smog tricks?/cheats

Hiya me again sobi have frank a 76 f100 with the 390 and here in lovely (crap) california we have extremely stringent smog laws i was wondering if there were any tricks to help mybold beastie pass a little easier. It doesnt smoke even if u grt a little throttle happy ive heard a ratio of 8:1 or 10:1 gas: denatured alchol mic would help drop your numbers ? Any thoughts or input on this? I know alchy is bad juju for rubber parts but it wouldnt be invthe system long enough to cause problems. But any info would b wonderful on the gas alcohol mic and any ither tricks . Thanks a million

Old 10-19-2013, 01:51 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
What in the world are you trying to say? How about taking the time to write out literate sentences instead of garbled text messages?

Old 10-19-2013, 02:56 PM
nine inch rear
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bftford
Hiya me again sobi have frank a 76 f100 with the 390 and here in lovely (crap) california we have extremely stringent smog laws i was wondering if there were any tricks to help mybold beastie pass a little easier. It doesnt smoke even if u grt a little throttle happy ive heard a ratio of 8:1 or 10:1 gas: denatured alchol mic would help drop your numbers ? Any thoughts or input on this? I know alchy is bad juju for rubber parts but it wouldnt be invthe system long enough to cause problems. But any info would b wonderful on the gas alcohol mic and any ither tricks . Thanks a million
Set your timing to factory specs (they will look for that). Make sure all smog equipment is present including charcoal canister. All vacuum lines are hooked up, stock air filter housing etc. Basically whatever came off the assembly line engine emission related, it needs to be there. They will do an evap leak test, unless you have dual tanks. If all passes visual, then it goes to sniff test. All you can do is hope at that point. If you have converters, "cataclean" fuel additive does work well to light off lazy cats. Change the oil too. Helps lower HC levels. However I think NOx gas is usually the hardest to get within specs.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:25 PM
Bftford
Junior User
Oh on thank you i was told that NoX was a result of a hotter than normal running engine that would produce higher nox numbers. I dont kno if thats true but i have had trouble with that in the past andbif thats the case "frank" runs reletively cool so fingers crossed haha . Oh and ive read on multiple threads on different sites that running a small ratio of alcohol in your gas can reduce the other hc and co numbers ? But everythingbi read was in a fuel injected engine and i think i may give it a shot in my old ford. But thank you for the info it definately helps oh and lastly , they wont evap tes dual tanks?

Old 10-20-2013, 05:33 PM
nine inch rear
Senior User
Yes, NOx is a result of higher combustion temperatures, not necessarily engine coolant temps. My truck runs right where it should, but for some reason, the test this year they showed higher than last time. They wont do an evap test if you have dual tanks. My advice is to have them do a pre-test. Its exactly like a regular test, but results dont get sent to the dmv. This would tell you what your truck is actually emitting out the pipe. If it all looks good, have them run the real deal, and your good to go.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:35 PM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
They only visually inspect dual tanks, but some test the caps. Best to get the cheapest "stock" caps. My truck failed with after market locking cap, i dont know why. In my '79, i had to run smaller jets in the carb. The new "Star" program is making it harder for us. We are being required to run cleaner than almost factory, lol

Old 10-20-2013, 06:11 PM
Bftford
Junior User
Ok awesome thank u i will see what i can accomplish then . And i feel ya i know they have been putting the squeeze on everybody. I keep hoping for that rolling exemption date insted of 1975 flat but i dont think i should hold my breath. And thats an excellent idea about the pre test ill give that a shot too thank you very much . Its an excellent truck and im lovin it just worried about the smog but luckily where i live its a change of ownership smog area so it only needs to pass once haha