1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

its begun

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 06:27 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I'd give it to Mid Fifty for the shipping if it meant it would make them enough money to keep up their excellent service. We should do everything we can to encourage businesses like MF.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:31 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Branded
Wouldn't it be better to just pay it forward to someone in need rather than let them profit from us why ad a middle man.

Sorry lilrobo... Didn't mean to take your thread down another path
That's great and what I do. But if I don't have someone wanting it when I want it to go.
Than out it goes. And I would bet they will have it sold
shortly after rebuilding it.

I guess maybe I am trying to change your attitude twords this hobby.
I am sorry as it ain't my place to try and do so.

Carry on Mate.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:47 PM
Branded
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had to double check, thought I was on hamb. Don't see where you feel I have a negative attitude about our hobby. I've been building cars and trucks for 40 years. All I asked was what MF pays for used steering boxes. I just feel that the box is worth more to me for a possible future build or a freind in need.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:05 PM
lilrobo
Senior User
its all good guys , i just cant wait till i get brutus back on the road with power steering ,,,, i have to cross the bridge with buy a pump and bracket , i guess i''ll jegs

thanks

Old 10-20-2013, 07:18 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Had to double check, thought I was on hamb. Don't see where you feel I have a negative attitude about our hobby. I've been building cars and trucks for 40 years. All I asked was what MF pays for used steering boxes. I just feel that the box is worth more to me for a possible future build or a freind in need.
No worries Branded. Welcome to FTE, most of us strive to be VERY unlike HAMB. Your questions and answers are welcome. Feel free to introduce yourself to the group and let us know what you are working on.

I was told last year by MF that they pay $30 IF they pay for the shipping and $40 if you paid for it. Things may have changed since then. Personally, I never sent mine in because I messed up the sector gear and that is the part (along with the box) is what they want. After doing the toyota conversion in a few trucks, I will never rebuild or run a stock gearbox ever again.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:35 PM
Branded
Senior User
Thanks for the welcome Teardropty. I joined in on this thread due to the fact that Im getting ready to do the same change over. I bought a 54 F100 a few months ago, I have a 18 year old son that is getting interested in the hobby and this is a great way for us to spend time together. He really enjoys the truck but not the steering. Engine has been updated to a 302 with a c4. Every thing else is pretty much the way Ford built it. I've got a 67 Nova SS that is my toy.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:56 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Love the 302/C4 combo. Can't go wrong with that! If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask the forum. We are a great bunch of truck addicts.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:06 PM
Branded
Senior User
Thanks Teardropty..

Lilrobo... Keep us updated on your progress sounds like things are moving in the right direction.

Dave

Old 10-21-2013, 06:48 PM
lilrobo
Senior User
anyone else running a sbc in there truck ????

Old 10-21-2013, 10:56 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Yes.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:54 AM
lilrobo
Senior User
Could you shoot me a pic please and send it to me? i ordered a universal bracket from jegs,ad now i need to get a pump, , the parts wont talk to me hardly with out a year or model lol
I do have a long water pump the most common so i dont know

Thanks

Old 10-22-2013, 07:34 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
You don't want to copy the rube goldberg pump setup the PO's mechanic cobbled together out of his scrap pile. Didn't we already do this a short time ago? Did you get the triangular shaped mount? What exactly are you needing?, it's much easier if you ask specific questions.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:05 AM
lilrobo
Senior User
i ordered this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Small-Block-Chevy-Black-Power-Steering-Bracket-Mount-/310318406480?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item48406b1b50&vxp=mtr,, and i need to get a pump,, its hard to walk into parts house and ask for a power steering pump when you dont know what year or make , i have 3 that a buddy gave me and none will work , i have seen brackets that mount to exhaust , and seen many many others ,, thats why i bought the one from jegs it says it will fit sbc long or short water pump ,, whats were i am now
thanks

Old 10-22-2013, 11:17 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Thanks Teardropty..

Lilrobo... Keep us updated on your progress sounds like things are moving in the right direction.

Dave
Dave, have you read this article?
Toyota Steering Box Swap For 1948-1960 Trucks .: Articles

Old 10-22-2013, 11:55 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by lilrobo
i ordered this Small Block Chevy Black Power Steering Bracket Mount | eBay,, and i need to get a pump,, its hard to walk into parts house and ask for a power steering pump when you dont know what year or make , i have 3 that a buddy gave me and none will work , i have seen brackets that mount to exhaust , and seen many many others ,, thats why i bought the one from jegs it says it will fit sbc long or short water pump ,, whats were i am now
thanks
There were only 3 different versions of the Saginaw pump used by GM from early 60s until 79, with the primary difference being the shaft size and attachment method for the drive pulley. The pump you want is easily recognized by it's "canned ham" shape. If your local parts house can't help you without a specific year and model , Summit and others carry the generically listed pumps in several finishes, from simple paint to chrome: http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...-steering-pump If you buy a new pump you will also need to source the proper shaft size pulley. It should be relatively easy to find a suitable used pump complete with pulley at any U-pull yard on any 79 or earlier GM vehicle. You can read more about the differences in pump models here: Saginaw Power Steering Pumps | Hemmings Motor News

Quick Reply: its begun