Moog tie rod problems/questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Macabre
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moog tie rod problems/questions

Hello,

Two questions regarding moog tie rods on my 2006 F-250 4WD... I am attempting to replace all four components (drag link + all three rod ends): Moog ES80754, ES80755, DS80749 & DS300008 . It seems what I received (I confirmed the part numbers on all boxes I received) are a little different from what I've seen in other threads.

1. The boot on the lower drag link end is a little deformed, and doesn't' come down to cover the top of the taper. It still holds grease, and protects the part of the joint that needs protecting, just looks a little funky - and of course, I didn't realize until it was on the truck. Is this worth taking it all apart again?

2. In other threads regarding these tie rods (e.g., https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-weekend.html) the parts seemed to come with a new wire guide bar to replace the factory piece that slides into the steering & toe adjustment sleeves. None of the tie rods I received included this. (I even received two of one end, as I got a replacement for one that was missing the grease fitting/cotter pin baggy, neither had it) The factory piece does not fit because there's no little indentation for the bold to slide through and the diameter is too large otherwise. Am I missing something here? Is the factory piece intended to be re-used somehow? No instructions were included with any of the parts..

I called Moog about the missing hardware (turned out two were missing their fittings) and the customer service guy was beyond unhelpful, so hoping someone has some suggestions before I battle with that again.

These are my first AND LAST moog parts

TIA

Old 10-19-2013, 04:44 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Where did you buy your Moog parts?

Old 10-19-2013, 04:53 PM
Macabre
New User
Amazon. And I spoke to them, and they are happy to accept the return even though the parts have been installed, which is what I'm leaning towards doing.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:50 AM
Big Norm
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A bit off topic

Macabre how are you able to submit pictures with your thread? Can you please tell me. I apologize to be off topic.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:53 AM
Macabre
New User
Upload them to an album (Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Albums). After it's uploaded, the page will display the BB code to paste into a post.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:31 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
I'd certainly return them to Amazon---great place to deal with, high on keeping us happy.

If you have the old pieces compare them to what shows up next order---its possible what you received were simply packaged wrong.

For further confirmation check what you receive against a new part from another local retailer, see if the Moog number is called out correctly for your chassis and year.

This sucks I know---all the work and concern over what might be a mislabeled box.

Let us know what you find please.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:48 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 874 Likes on 726 Posts
I'd certainly return them to Amazon---great place to deal with, high on keeping us happy.
That's because they don't care if stuff gets returned. They just back charge all the expense to their vendor/distributor who gets screwed for the cost of non-defective merchandise and all of the shipping and return costs. They probably still make money off the returns.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:12 PM
Macabre
New User
I cross-checked all of the box labels with the fitment guide on Moog's website. Of course, no way to know if what is stated on the box label is actually in the box...

That's because they don't care if stuff gets returned. They just back charge all the expense to their vendor/distributor who gets screwed for the cost of non-defective merchandise and all of the shipping and return costs. They probably still make money off the returns.
Is "non-defective merchandise" a reference to this thread, or general comment on the tradeoff vendors accept for exposure to Amazon's enormous customer base? If to this thread, can you comment further on what I should do with these parts?

Old 10-20-2013, 01:48 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 874 Likes on 726 Posts
Is "non-defective merchandise" a reference to this thread, or general comment on the tradeoff vendors accept for exposure to Amazon's enormous customer base?
Sorry, general rant regarding Amazon...

Try Moog again, you might get someone more helpful. If you get the same guy and he proves unhelpful, escalate the call to a supervisor.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:30 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Well yes maybe a vendor does get back charged for a non-defective part but in the case of this OP his part is basically non-defective, quite possibly the wrong part in the correct box---its happened before.

Amazon do have dialog boxes customers complete when initiating a return. I've had it both ways---defective part and unwanted too. They will deduct shipping costs etc from any granted refunds so its not all one-sided in favor of the customer.

Fully agree calling Moog and dealing with an upper level CSR. I recently called them and didn't care for the terse smart alec-y comments or attitude but eventually I got an answer I could use.

Hope all this works out for you--Moog parts are great and this might not be a quality issue at all.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:03 PM
Macabre
New User
While it may be that the two steering tie-rod ends were mis-boxed, the drop-link end pictured in the original post does have a quality issue. And frankly, when you are buying a boxed part, the part is the box and having the wrong contents is a quality issue. This is the manufacturer's responsibility.

Regardless, brief update- I ended up returning everything and swapping for Raybestos Professional Grade. The first drag link they sent was *also* mis-boxed; they sent the drag link for a 2WD truck (wrong part in the correct box, so again not Amazon's fault per se) and back it went for yet another try.

Got the replacement today and it is correct fitment, but what do you know - it's just a Ford part with the logo ground off. I guess that's OK, but of course no grease fitting like the other three ends have. I know this is common industry practice but still irksome. The other raybestos parts have their blue boots and zerk fittings, which fortunately were all included.

Anyway, hopefully the truck will be back on the road soon.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:42 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Interesting coincidence on all this----having a bit of an Amazon/Moog problem myself now!

Ordered everything up front from Amazon, everything in stock, priced quite fairly compared to local sellers. Part of the order arrived just last evening---horrible packing job! Parts boxes tossed inside a larger box, several parts laying loose inside having broken out of their individual boxes. Add in one lower ball joint was missing AND another part sent from another warehouse, to arrive "later".

Emails back and forth with Amazon yield nothing helpful until a few choice words were added---oddly enough cuss words get good results sometimes!

Nothing lacking in quality with the Moog stuff though--almost makes the aggravation with it---almost!