Crossovers Edge, Taurus X, Freestyle, MKX, Flex etc.

Considering an Edge.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 05:29 PM
Georgia8er
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too am interested in any reports of Ecoboost mileage in the Edge. My mom bought a 2014 new with the 3.5L and it does about 22 or so in mixed, short driving. With less than 1000 miles on it we went on a long trip and were only getting 26 or so, but now it has enough miles on the engine that the fuel economy seems to be rising. When helping her shop I asked the dealer about an ecoboost, they said they could find one but it would take a while since sales of those in the southeast was pretty slow.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:37 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
At first I wanted the EB but then did a lot of reading about carbon building up on the valves because they weren't getting washed by fuel and the extra cost of the EB compared to the 3.5 would take a quite of few yrs to recoup your money back.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:23 PM
Georgia8er
Senior User
The salesman I talked to said at least from what he had heard EB wasn't getting much better fuel economy than the 3.5, like 1-2 mpg max. I can definitely see the extra cost and potential for trouble to be a deal breaker.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:32 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Pitcrw6
At first I wanted the EB but then did a lot of reading about carbon building up on the valves because they weren't getting washed by fuel and the extra cost of the EB compared to the 3.5 would take a quite of few yrs to recoup your money back.
Originally Posted by Georgia8er
The salesman I talked to said at least from what he had heard EB wasn't getting much better fuel economy than the 3.5, like 1-2 mpg max. I can definitely see the extra cost and potential for trouble to be a deal breaker.
I'm not so sure that I'd get the EB in an Edge either. The EB needs to be run hard to prevent the carbon build up and to keep the CAC as clean and dry as possible. The Edge in my case would be my wife's DD and it would very rarely get blown out.

The EB in my F-150 however has been a gem but I keep my foot in it.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:59 PM
Sooper Camper
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by holeshotwalt
On the AWD, evidently it's a common occurrence at about 120K mi for the transfer case to begin leaking (sealed unit!) and shortly thereafter, frag. $1500 from your smilin' stealership.
Planned obsolescence at it's finest.
There is actually a simple solution to that, buy a $10 suction pump, a $5 fill pump...suck the nasty factory lube out of there and fill it with a high quality synthetic like Royal Purple. I believe the PTU uses 85w140 gear lube. I did it at 67k miles, it was the nastiest fluid I have ever seen come out of a car and the volume was about half of what it should have been.

"Lifetime fluid" = if you never change it, it'll have a short life. The PTU is also directly next to a catalytic converter, its not the greatest design or location honestly. Its not uncommon for them to bake the fluid into a sludge. I'll be changing the fluid in it every 12-18 months even though I'm running high quality fluid. After having done the fluid change myself, I can see why they just spec it as "lifetime". Its a pain to get to, and the dealer would make $0 on the service. Easier to just let it blow up like most people would do, then charge them an arm and a leg to fix it.

Originally Posted by claycomotrucks1991
Have an escape now but may move up to edge , what is the drop in real gas miles since the edge is bigger in size!
I recently did a full tune up on my wife's Edge. Royal Purple oil in the engine, diff and t-case, and new trans fluid. Replaced plugs, cleaned K&N air filter, and ran some seafoam through the top end. Just doing this service upped her MPG on her daily commute about 4 mpg, its in the 21-23 range depending on traffic.

Averaged 27mpg over 350 mi, with 2 bikes hanging on a rack off the back. 3.5L V6 and AWD. It has been a phenomenal car for us, and a very sound purchase. Just replaced the P245/60 tires with 255/55 XL rated tires and it handles MUCH better now.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:16 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Sooper Camper
There is actually a simple solution to that, buy a $10 suction pump, a $5 fill pump...suck the nasty factory lube out of there and fill it with a high quality synthetic like Royal Purple. I believe the PTU uses 85w140 gear lube. I did it at 67k miles, it was the nastiest fluid I have ever seen come out of a car and the volume was about half of what it should have been.

"Lifetime fluid" = if you never change it, it'll have a short life. The PTU is also directly next to a catalytic converter, its not the greatest design or location honestly. Its not uncommon for them to bake the fluid into a sludge. I'll be changing the fluid in it every 12-18 months even though I'm running high quality fluid. After having done the fluid change myself, I can see why they just spec it as "lifetime". Its a pain to get to, and the dealer would make $0 on the service. Easier to just let it blow up like most people would do, then charge them an arm and a leg to fix it.
Do you have a how to or a pic of where on the transfercase you do this. I just bought a 2014 Edge for my daughter and would like to do this later down the road. Also do you need a lift or can it be done in the driveway? Mine isnt a AWD so does this matter?

Old 06-11-2015, 12:57 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Pitcrw6
Do you have a how to or a pic of where on the transfercase you do this. I just bought a 2014 Edge for my daughter and would like to do this later down the road. Also do you need a lift or can it be done in the driveway? Mine isnt a AWD so does this matter?
The PTU/transfer case is only for AWD so you don't need to deal with this.

Good luck, and many safe miles to your daughter,
George

Old 06-11-2015, 11:55 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
The PTU/transfer case is only for AWD so you don't need to deal with this.

Good luck, and many safe miles to your daughter,
George
Thanks George

Old 06-19-2015, 11:03 PM
Dr. EVIL
New User
We took delivery on a '15 Edge AWD SEL w/3.5L V-6. Wife's daily driver about 55-60 miles/day, some rural highway, rural Interstate, urban expressway, and a couple miles of city driving. Averaging about 24 to 24-1/2 mpg so far.

The Edge replaced her '03 Mercury Mountaineer with 206,000 miles. It had 4.6L V-8, AWD, towing pkg & 3rd row seat delete. It got about 18+/- mpg on her commute. The Edge seems to be much peppier, lighter vehicle with 40 more HP.

Some of the options that seem to be common on vehicles on dealers lots are just plain stupid, but we couldn't fine a vehicle with Home link!

Old 06-20-2015, 06:44 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
you can add the homelink to it.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:27 AM
70f100longbed
Fleet Mechanic
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. EVIL
We took delivery on a '15 Edge AWD SEL w/3.5L V-6. Wife's daily driver about 55-60 miles/day, some rural highway, rural Interstate, urban expressway, and a couple miles of city driving. Averaging about 24 to 24-1/2 mpg so far.

The Edge replaced her '03 Mercury Mountaineer with 206,000 miles. It had 4.6L V-8, AWD, towing pkg & 3rd row seat delete. It got about 18+/- mpg on her commute. The Edge seems to be much peppier, lighter vehicle with 40 more HP.

Some of the options that seem to be common on vehicles on dealers lots are just plain stupid, but we couldn't fine a vehicle with Home link!
whats the build date on the Edge? If its before 4/27 you need to get it in the shop ASAP and have them seal the a-pillars. There is a seam sealer skip behind the hood hinge and if its not sealed then the car gets water in it and creates mold and mildew under the carpet. I have a 2015 Edge in the shop now with 947 miles on it completely gutted waiting on a firewall insulation pad and driver's side carpet. I hung the carpet after I took it out and it dripped water for 2 1/2 days. The firewall pad is on backorder until 7/13 so this car may get bought back. Go Ford and your parts suppliers!!!

Old 06-23-2015, 03:15 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 70f100longbed
whats the build date on the Edge? If its before 4/27 you need to get it in the shop ASAP and have them seal the a-pillars. There is a seam sealer skip behind the hood hinge and if its not sealed then the car gets water in it and creates mold and mildew under the carpet. I have a 2015 Edge in the shop now with 947 miles on it completely gutted waiting on a firewall insulation pad and driver's side carpet. I hung the carpet after I took it out and it dripped water for 2 1/2 days. The firewall pad is on backorder until 7/13 so this car may get bought back. Go Ford and your parts suppliers!!!
Yuk, this sounds like a big pain in the neck. My very first brand new vehicle was a '78 Ford F100 pickup and someone at the factory forgot to seal a horizontal seam in the firewall. It had rubber mats instead of carpeting (being the Ranger trim package) and the jute padding under the mats became a giant and gross mold pit due to the leak. No place for the water to go. Of course I didn't discover it until the 12/12 warranty was up (I drove a lot so I killed the warranty in about 6 months). I fixed the seam with dum dum and left the carpet padding out in the sun for a few days to dry...

I usually like to wait a year or so after a new model vehicle or new drivetrain has been introduced so there is some real world mileage and experience behind it.

Good luck,
George

Old 06-23-2015, 11:29 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 70f100longbed
Does this only apply to the 2015 MY Edges? I just bought a 2014 in early April.