Sponsored by:

Towed the Mustang to the track, raced the Excursion

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 09:53 AM
Grist Bros
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fishintheobx
That's pretty cool! The 6.0 haters won't like this thread! I've often wanted to time mine, but never had a place to do so. I took in some scrap metal last spring, and when I crossed the scale coming out with just myself, my 5 year old, and 1/4 tank of fuel...the slip said 8040 lbs. Continues to amaze me the way it will get up and move.
Yes, it is a heavy beast, and what I like about the Ex over my prior '97 F250 7.3 is power potential and sturdiness of the drivetrain.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:17 PM
usmcdaveII
Senior User
Thanks for posting. I actually LOL, knowing your story sounds exactly like something I would do.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Grist Bros
Freshman User
Originally Posted by usmcdaveII
Thanks for posting. I actually LOL, knowing your story sounds exactly like something I would do.
Haha, glad you like it. It wasn't planned, but I knew exactly what to do when the Mustang was embarrassingly slow

Old 10-19-2013, 01:33 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
What a great story, thanks for sharing. Does your tune negate the 100mph speed lumit? You are about out of steam otherwise.

Sent from my Sprint PC36100 using IB AutoGroup

Old 10-19-2013, 01:37 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Grist Bros
Thank you!

Yes, the '92 has more potential for sure. It should be running 13's, honestly. It is having an issue somewhere. I bought it from someone locally that didn't know a lot about it. I previously had an S-trim on it, but after removing the supercharger, they left the 30 lb injectors on it. I think it needs 24lb injectors, but 30's are a little too much. I don't have an air/fuel gauge on it to check, though. The timing is set a little conservative (about 12 adv), so I think there is some power left on the table still. Anyway, I didn't feel like jacking with the car at the track, so I saved it for another day. The Excursion was definitely a lot more fun!

Yes, I cannot imagine the loads and stress that the driveline is going through! I would love to build a purpose-built setup for racing. I was thinking that i would love to whip out the TIG and build a custom chassis for it just to race, ha ha! I am interested in seeing what my current power in a light chassis would do. I already have too many irons in the fire. I would love to see this thing in the 13's and then just stick to doing 4wd launches against cars on the streets.

I'll shoot some updates if I can make it out to the local track in Wichita before it closes for the cold weather.

Is your Mustang an auto or 5spd? The 30lb injectors are fine provided you are tuned for them. I had 30s on my Mustang with the HCI combo and now have a 80s with the Paxton on it. I changed the tune for each one though.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:34 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeRizz
Do you leave it in 4H for the entire pass or switch it back to 2WD while going down the track?
I launched in 4hi and kept it there the entire pass. I thought about switching to 2wd down track, but didn't know if it would damage the xfer case and/or be of any difference.
You can switch it back to 2-wheel, but the truck will stay in 4-wheel until you let off the accelerator, so it doesn't matter.

All you guys with diesel Excursions should really look into joining the NHRDA if you like drag racing. There aren't a lot of Excursions that make the events. Mostly trucks.

Here's my buddy Pete's rig (Duck Fan) at the Redding event a couple years ago:

Here's my truck in the right lane at the same event:

Stewart

Old 10-19-2013, 02:35 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by fishintheobx
That's pretty cool! The 6.0 haters won't like this thread!
Why would you say that?

Stewart

Old 10-19-2013, 04:36 PM
Grist Bros
Freshman User
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Is your Mustang an auto or 5spd? The 30lb injectors are fine provided you are tuned for them. I had 30s on my Mustang with the HCI combo and now have a 80s with the Paxton on it. I changed the tune for each one though.
It's an AOD with a stock converter. I've got the AFR adjusted pretty good, I think. It runs fairly clean and has zero drivability issues. I'm pretty good with tuning, I think, but just didn't have the time or desire to mess with it. I would like going with 24's, but I might eventually put a small turbo on this car, so there is no use in bothering with it. It currently has a Pro-M meter and no chip. I have an SCT chip with switches, but this car runs well enough for a daily, which is what it normally is.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:40 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
It's an AOD with a stock converter.
Lentech in the future for you?

Stewart

Old 10-19-2013, 04:51 PM
Grist Bros
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Lentech in the future for you? Stewart
Nah, I really don't need to go any further with this one. I talk about putting a small turbo on it, but it really makes no sense. I have a "serious" Mustang that is my race car. I just need to keep focusing on it instead of wasting my money on this daily.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:54 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
....instead of wasting my money on this daily.
When we feed our sickness, it's NOT a waste of money. It's taken me a long time to convince the wife, so don't start throwing that out there where she may see it!!

Stewart

Old 10-19-2013, 04:57 PM
Grist Bros
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
When we feed our sickness, it's NOT a waste of money. It's taken me a long time to convince the wife, so don't start throwing that out there where she may see it!! Stewart
Haha, I hear ya! I just meant that I have several other projects that deserve more of my time and money, lol.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:40 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner

It's an AOD with a stock converter. I've got the AFR adjusted pretty good, I think. It runs fairly clean and has zero drivability issues. I'm pretty good with tuning, I think, but just didn't have the time or desire to mess with it. I would like going with 24's, but I might eventually put a small turbo on this car, so there is no use in bothering with it. It currently has a Pro-M meter and no chip. I have an SCT chip with switches, but this car runs well enough for a daily, which is what it normally is.
15s sound about right for an aod car. They are not fast with the auto. A buddy of mine goes from low 15s to low 13s with his 87 gt when he turns on the bottle. It is also an aod car. As long as the maf is calibrated for the 30s you won't see anything swapping to 24s. Now if it was tuned it would be a different story.

Just think how much more fun it would be every day with boost. Lol!

Sent from my mind thanks to the Internet and an app.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:47 PM
MikeRizz
Senior User
I am primarily a drag racer myself, and have made many 9 and 10 second passes in Mustangs, but a 14 second pass seemed just a fun for some reason, haha!

I launched in 4hi and kept it there the entire pass. I thought about switching to 2wd down track, but didn't know if it would damage the xfer case and/or be of any difference.
Makes sense. I don't think it will shift out unless you lift off the throttle anyway. Edit: Stuart confirmed what I thought.
I love drag racing, both watching and racing. Of course it helps I live 3.5 miles away from the track.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:49 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Shifting out of 4hi is a good idea before taking the turn onto the return road.

Sent from my mind thanks to the Internet and an app.

Quick Reply: Towed the Mustang to the track, raced the Excursion