Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Washington Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Washington Chapter Washington Chapter
Join Chapter, Leader: GruesomeJeans

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-18-2013, 03:28 AM
Elder User

oddfordjunkie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Jason's Truck

So far his truck has had the ECM rebuilt, new computer on the dizzy and new starter solenoid by some shop.

They didn't time the distributor correctly when reinstalling it so I fixed that (10 deg Advanced while warm with SPOUT disconnected), new EGR valve, under carriage pressure wash, chassis greased, welded a broken exhaust hanger, new brake master cylinder, fixed radio wiring, removed a TON of extra wires (a lot of which was melted) including 4 sets of trailer leads.

Shortly after he got new tires, I believe 35 X 12.5 X 16.5R

Now what's wrong?
Old 10-18-2013, 05:18 AM
WAFTE Chapter LDR

GruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant future
pages/Bronco-Nation/333812929968547 GruesomeJeans
I'll sub to it. Even if I can't help. Maybe I'll learn me something.
Visit Washington Chapter HERE!

Washington Member Map
Old 10-18-2013, 05:50 AM
Junior User

jasonmartin206 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
So my new probs are....

I had to run to NorthPoint Range in Arlington yesterday, which was a good distance from where I live. Everything ran awesome. Pretty much the first time I have run it any long distance since OFJ hooked it up. On my way back at a redlight it sputtered off the line. Well, let me put this disclaimer in which I have been dealing with... when i run somewhere, it has a problem starting back up. My guess was it was having a problem with the fuel boil off. But, WTF do I know. I know that all of the sudden COLD OR HOT, it sputters and dies. Doesnt matter if it has sat for hours and hours or just a few minutes, it acts the same. Damnit it!

'88 F-350 XLT Lariat w/ 6" Lift on 35's
7.5 Liter 460 EFI Auto
Lake Stevens, WA
Old 10-18-2013, 06:21 AM
Junior User

Just went to go start it again and no go. Maybe the fuel pump decided it only wants to work sometimes? Who knows, but thats all I can speculate.

7.5 Liter 460 EFI Auto
Lake Stevens, WA
Old 10-18-2013, 09:33 AM
WAFTE Chapter LDR

GruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant futureGruesomeJeans has a brilliant future
I wonder if these have issues with vapor lock? Being cold or hot though, doesn't seem likely. When it happens could you test the fuel pressure? All you have to do is find the Shrader valve on the fuel rail and push a screw driver on it or something similar. If the fuel sprays out its got pressure, if it kinda dribbles out then you've got an issue down the line.

Of course this would all be redundant if it's a diesel, my memory is bad this early in the morning .

Washington Member Map
Old 10-18-2013, 04:50 PM
Elder User

Fuel boiling is a rare problem and pretty much exclusive to carburetors, You have injection and you're not running a super high pressure aftermarket pump rated for 1000HP so I highly doubt that is the issue. Your truck is suppose to have 35 Psi at the fuel rail at idle, I made a tester for it before and it checked out fine, I can check it again.

Didn't you say that shop replaced the Fuel Pump Relay?

And I was able to fix my code reader so I can give that a shot again.

When, if ever, was the fuel filter replaced? does it have the same issue on both tanks?
Old 10-19-2013, 12:15 AM
WAFTE Chapter LDR

I kinda figured vapor lock was a long shot but it doesn't hurt to ask. Also, on the topic of bad suggestions, where is the inertia switch located on those? If it's on the passenger floor pike my 88 ranger was, maybe when it happens try pushing the reset button and see if that works. With mine I had the heater core leaking on it causing it to short and not start. It's a long shot but worth asking I suppose.

Washington Member Map
Old 10-19-2013, 12:08 PM
Elder User

I'm in Olympia all day so will be researching things trying to get ahead of the issue.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:55 PM
Junior User

OFJ...... the shop said they replaced the fuel relay and I put in a new filter last month. FYI, it does it on both tanks if that helps any...

GJ..... I will give that a check to see if that could be the prob... thanks for the ideas of other stuff to look for...

7.5 Liter 460 EFI Auto
Lake Stevens, WA
Old 10-20-2013, 10:37 PM
Elder User

Racking my brain, the last few days have been non stop.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:29 AM
Post Fiend

Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.
You know with two tanks if you don't have pumps in each tank and
only have the frame mounted one you could vapor lock (LONG SHOT).
Then there could be also crap in the 3way valve. Pressure test is in order.

Sean
6.0l Forum Map : Ask me About It
Old 10-21-2013, 02:47 AM
Elder User

That's the thing that has me hung up on it being a fuel issue, I pressure tested it when I did the rest of the work a couple weeks ago and it had 34 psi at idle, right within spec, could be an intermitant issue but seems highly unlikely.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:41 AM
WAFTE Chapter LDR

Here is another long shot (bear with me) what about a loose wire on the fuel pump or switch? Maybe the vibration from it running or idling causes it to loose connection sometimes.

Washington Member Map
Old 10-21-2013, 04:41 AM