Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-16-2013, 08:52 PM
tractorman

tractormanbill is starting off with a positive reputation.
Refurbishing my 52 F-1 Dash meters

I dissembled both meters and cleaned the faces with cue-tips and alcohol.
I had the chrome rings re-chromed.
Sand blasted several of the pieces except the individual meters and painted them back as original with off white, flat black & silver.
Click the image to open in full size.

I placed cardboard behind the needles on each gage for painting.
I went to Dollar General and bought a color of red nail polish that would look good. My truck is red so I matched the body color. Try not to get a translucent color. I got my wife to paint the needles since she is steadier than I am.

On the front piece for the meter assembly I painted the flat black in the center then found a small juice glass that would cover the black, weighted it down with a socket and painted the outside with the silver. Looks better than original!

The cork spacers were history so I started looking for “0” rings to take their place. First one was too thin, second try was too thick (both were stock size thickness “0” rings) so I went to a business that can build “0” rings from a spool of “0” ring material. They gave me about 10 inches of material for each meter. The size I settled on is about .190 thousands of an inch.
I used file folder plastic colored tags to get amber and red for the speedo turn & high beam indicators.
Here is what they look like when finished.

Upon assembly I found out it is next to impossible to crimp the chrome covers back like they were originally to hold the guts in. In the process I broke one glass cover plate.
I am now holding the units together with slight pressure and using clear silicone to seal and hold the assemblies together instead of crimping them.

The two assemblies look like a diamond in a goat’s *** after they were finished and will really look nice when installed in my red dash.

Anyone have a broken speedometer or gage housing around that has a good glass I could use to replace the one I broke??? If so e-mail me at tractorman@billstractor.com.

Tractormanbill
Old 10-16-2013, 09:11 PM
Senior User

smallello has a good reputation on FTE.smallello has a good reputation on FTE.
Looks good, too bad the glass broke. How did you do the faces? Did you have a stencil?
Old 10-16-2013, 10:04 PM
Elder User

pineconeford has a good reputation on FTE.pineconeford has a good reputation on FTE.pineconeford has a good reputation on FTE.
I have one for you -PM sent.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:26 PM
Elder User

aussiecowboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.aussiecowboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Nail polish, wish I'd thought of that when I did mine.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:38 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Nicely done, Bill! Are your turn signal arrows actually hooked up?
Old 10-17-2013, 12:00 AM
Postmaster

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Nice job on those. They look great.

1951 F4 "Betsy" Build Thread @ http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html
Old 10-17-2013, 01:07 AM
Posting Guru

truckeemtnfords has a very good reputation on FTE.truckeemtnfords has a very good reputation on FTE.truckeemtnfords has a very good reputation on FTE.
Pinecone,

Reps sent for stepping up and offering him a new glass when he never even asked for one.

Bill,
Gauges look great.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:34 AM
tractorman

I didn't have to repaint any of the numbers on the gages just cleaned them up.

The biggest problem on the re-build was finding an "0" ring the correct thickness to replace the cork gasket plus the crimping on reassembly.

I started to reset the speedometer to 00000000 but chickened out since I only had one in case there was a problem. I used to do this all the time 40 years ago back when it was not against the law. I generally don't like to work on nickey/nackey small stuff like this anymore.

I'm re-wiring the whole truck with EZ wiring kit with a new steering column so I don't know why I cannot get the turn signals to work since I have left & right individual bulbs in the speedometer housing.

Thanks for all the offers for glass. I have contacted Ilya since I am obtaining other parts from him but have not heard if he has one or not.

PS: Tom B. e-mailed me that he would send me a glass. Much thanks!!

Tractormanbill

Last edited by tractormanbill; 10-17-2013 at 06:42 AM. Reason: addition of info
Old 10-17-2013, 07:50 PM
Elder User

pineconeford has a good reputation on FTE.pineconeford has a good reputation on FTE.pineconeford has a good reputation on FTE.
Yep, I got a free one on the way to Texas for Bill. In return I asked for the names of good BBQ joints in the San Antonio area. I get down that way every few years or so.
If any of you like meat & sauce like I do....it's a fair trade for that knowledge!

Tom
Old 10-17-2013, 08:22 PM
Elder User

ZOOT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ZOOT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Great job. Are using the original sockets for the turn signals? If so, they ground out at the mount. From the pic, it may be that you are preventing that with the o rings. My 2cts
Old 10-18-2013, 03:39 PM
Senior User

OldGrayMare is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looks great, you did a rally nice job on those.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:56 PM
Senior User

SCRAPHEAP51 is a splendid one to beholdSCRAPHEAP51 is a splendid one to beholdSCRAPHEAP51 is a splendid one to beholdSCRAPHEAP51 is a splendid one to beholdSCRAPHEAP51 is a splendid one to beholdSCRAPHEAP51 is a splendid one to beholdSCRAPHEAP51 is a splendid one to behold
Looks really nice. great job on the refurbish.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:09 PM
tractorman

Here is the finished product after Tom in Main sent me a glass.
That is a reflection on the speedometer gage, not a broken glass.
The biggest problem of all was coming up with an "0" ring to replace the cork gaskets that were gone! The thickness of the "0" rings was 3/16 or .188 dia. BUNS-N ORING CORD and I cut it to length
Be sure if you rebuild to use silicon to hold the unit together rather than trying to crimp the case!
Tractormanbill

Last edited by tractormanbill; 10-28-2013 at 04:11 PM. Reason: correcting
Old 10-28-2013, 04:16 PM
Postmaster

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Those look brand new Bill. Good work!

1951 F4 "Betsy" Build Thread @ http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html
Old 10-28-2013, 04:16 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks