1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series TrucksDiscuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks
Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.
You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!
I dissembled both meters and cleaned the faces with cue-tips and alcohol.
I had the chrome rings re-chromed.
Sand blasted several of the pieces except the individual meters and painted them back as original with off white, flat black & silver.
I placed cardboard behind the needles on each gage for painting.
I went to Dollar General and bought a color of red nail polish that would look good. My truck is red so I matched the body color. Try not to get a translucent color. I got my wife to paint the needles since she is steadier than I am.
On the front piece for the meter assembly I painted the flat black in the center then found a small juice glass that would cover the black, weighted it down with a socket and painted the outside with the silver. Looks better than original!
The cork spacers were history so I started looking for “0” rings to take their place. First one was too thin, second try was too thick (both were stock size thickness “0” rings) so I went to a business that can build “0” rings from a spool of “0” ring material. They gave me about 10 inches of material for each meter. The size I settled on is about .190 thousands of an inch.
I used file folder plastic colored tags to get amber and red for the speedo turn & high beam indicators.
Here is what they look like when finished.
Upon assembly I found out it is next to impossible to crimp the chrome covers back like they were originally to hold the guts in. In the process I broke one glass cover plate.
I am now holding the units together with slight pressure and using clear silicone to seal and hold the assemblies together instead of crimping them.
The two assemblies look like a diamond in a goat’s *** after they were finished and will really look nice when installed in my red dash.
Anyone have a broken speedometer or gage housing around that has a good glass I could use to replace the one I broke??? If so e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I didn't have to repaint any of the numbers on the gages just cleaned them up.
The biggest problem on the re-build was finding an "0" ring the correct thickness to replace the cork gasket plus the crimping on reassembly.
I started to reset the speedometer to 00000000 but chickened out since I only had one in case there was a problem. I used to do this all the time 40 years ago back when it was not against the law. I generally don't like to work on nickey/nackey small stuff like this anymore.
I'm re-wiring the whole truck with EZ wiring kit with a new steering column so I don't know why I cannot get the turn signals to work since I have left & right individual bulbs in the speedometer housing.
Thanks for all the offers for glass. I have contacted Ilya since I am obtaining other parts from him but have not heard if he has one or not.
PS: Tom B. e-mailed me that he would send me a glass. Much thanks!!
Last edited by tractormanbill; 10-17-2013 at 06:42 AM.
Reason: addition of info
Yep, I got a free one on the way to Texas for Bill. In return I asked for the names of good BBQ joints in the San Antonio area. I get down that way every few years or so.
If any of you like meat & sauce like I do....it's a fair trade for that knowledge!
Slowly reassembling a basket case 1951 F2 pickup. Take a look at my album in my profile to see how it's coming along.
Here is the finished product after Tom in Main sent me a glass.
That is a reflection on the speedometer gage, not a broken glass.
The biggest problem of all was coming up with an "0" ring to replace the cork gaskets that were gone! The thickness of the "0" rings was 3/16 or .188 dia. BUNS-N ORING CORD and I cut it to length
Be sure if you rebuild to use silicon to hold the unit together rather than trying to crimp the case!
Last edited by tractormanbill; 10-28-2013 at 04:11 PM.
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.