Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2014, 10:39 PM
Elder User

LeoJr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Can a D50 TTB be swapped in place of a TTB D44? Goodness, this would have to be the cheapest upgrade ever with them being plentiful.
*1996 F250 crew cab/short bed, 4x4, auto PSD*Looking for gray 40/20/40 seats, I have a dirty set of blue I'd trade *stainless window vents *3/8" shim under the drive shaft carrier bearing has eliminated the take-off shudder *remote door locks work with engine running mod.
Link to my D60 refurb and OBS swap thread Link to my OBS air vent R&R thread Link to my grab handle install
Old 07-18-2014, 04:47 AM
Post Fiend

Diesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoJr View Post
Can a D50 TTB be swapped in place of a TTB D44? Goodness, this would have to be the cheapest upgrade ever with them being plentiful.
Not really. other than a little bigger bearings and ball joints there is no benefit from doing the swap. it is still a **** pore design in a 3/4 ton truck
Old 07-18-2014, 11:35 AM
Junior User

BBBTruck is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garthneddy View Post
The U joint AND outer stubs are the same size.
Just to be clear, we're talking about the steering u's at the knuckles, right? Parts catalogs list them as a different number than the 44. Bronc. Graveyard lists a 5-760x for the 44 and a 1350 series for the 50. They don't specify middle or steering, but from doing a few smaller TTB's I find all the joints to be the same size across the axle.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:38 PM
Posting Guru

garthneddy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I did some digging and I was mistaken. The D50 TTBs DO use the larger 1350 outer joints, however they are not interchangeable with the D44 knuckles. You would have to do alot of fab work to make it fit.

The D44s use the 760x for the outers and inner joint.

The D50s use the 1350 for the outers and inner joint.

From personal experience I know the D50 third member and inner stub assembly are 100% bolt in for the D44 TTB.

'94 Ranger 2wd 2.3/M5OD
Old 07-22-2014, 11:32 AM
Junior User

BBBTruck is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have yet to attempt the "cut and turn" modification, but if I'm going to go that far, why not look at options? If I could make the proper jig, it shouldn't be too much more trouble to get 50 knuckles on a 44 arm.

I thought this up because I wanted to get the cheapest, strongest setup I could for a trail rig using TTB.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:08 PM
New User

generalrazo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Surprised no one has brought up the fact that the kingpins on the D60 are far superior to ball joints in both strength and longevity.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:49 PM
Posting Guru

eakermeld is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Click the image to open in full size.
Wish mine had king pins. But the ball joints have been fine so far.
2000 Buick LeSabre
1982 IH S2500 400 Cummins 13spd
1994 CAT 953B 3116 Hydrostat
Old 07-24-2014, 04:43 AM
Post Fiend

Diesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud of
I would rather have the 95-97 Ball joint axle. Bigger brakes , bolt on calipers and better turning radius than a king Pin axle.

I don't go 4 wheeling with my trucks with monster tires so I can get 100k out of a set of ball joints
Old 07-24-2014, 08:30 PM
Postmaster

UNTAMND has a great reputation on FTE.UNTAMND has a great reputation on FTE.UNTAMND has a great reputation on FTE.UNTAMND has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garthneddy View Post
From personal experience I know the D50 third member and inner stub assembly are 100% bolt in for the D44 TTB.
Really.... I've been searching and searching for pics or even someone saying that they actually did this. I've read tons where people claim that it fits, bet no one that has actually done it.
So you did it, really??? I really want to keep my coils, but wanted to upgrade the front end a little. I plan on going to 8 bolt and bigger brakes soon, but also wanted an easy gear change. I have 410 d50 sitting here, so when I put the rear axle in it will be an easy swap. Nifty. Just need to figure out short side stub to outer stub. Hmmm.
67 Mustang GTA Fastback 390 UNTAMND.com
Old 07-24-2014, 08:41 PM
Posting Guru

garthneddy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNTAMND View Post
Really.... I've been searching and searching for pics or even someone saying that they actually did this. I've read tons where people claim that it fits, bet no one that has actually done it.
So you did it, really??? I really want to keep my coils, but wanted to upgrade the front end a little. I plan on going to 8 bolt and bigger brakes soon, but also wanted an easy gear change. I have 410 d50 sitting here, so when I put the rear axle in it will be an easy swap. Nifty. Just need to figure out short side stub to outer stub. Hmmm.
I have done this, my old trail rig was regeared on the cheap with an old 4.10 D50 third member. Just reuse the D44 shafts, they're the same size and spline count.

'94 Ranger 2wd 2.3/M5OD
Old 07-25-2014, 01:48 AM
Posting Guru

BruteFord is a name known to allBruteFord is a name known to allBruteFord is a name known to allBruteFord is a name known to allBruteFord is a name known to allBruteFord is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad View Post
I would rather have the 95-97 Ball joint axle. Bigger brakes , bolt on calipers and better turning radius than a king Pin axle.
How is the turning radius better on a BJ version?
“If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ―Samuel Adams
Old 07-25-2014, 04:59 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruteFord View Post
How is the turning radius better on a BJ version?
Its simple, the wheels turn further
Old 07-25-2014, 06:40 AM
Posting Guru

BruteFord is a name known to allBruteFord is a name known to allBruteFord is a name known to allBruteFord is a name known to allBruteFord is a name known to allBruteFord is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad View Post
Its simple, the wheels turn further
Wow really?

But why would they turn any further on a BJ then a KP?
“If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ―Samuel Adams
Old 07-25-2014, 09:59 AM
Senior User

jasoncarpenter1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My K.P. turns really sharp. Not as good as the T.T.B. I took off. Am interested in the turning radius the B.P. also.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:46 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncarpenter1 View Post
My K.P. turns really sharp. Not as good as the T.T.B. I took off. Am interested in the turning radius the B.P. also.
The Bronco in your sig with the 42 Iroks? Aren't the tires a bigger issue on steering angle then the axle? I know mine are with my 37s, they contact the leafs. Even if you did some fancy front suspension still got a radius arm or link?

I've never owned a BJ 60, but I do have a D50 TTB and 2 KP 60 trucks. Here's what I've noticed. It seams my front track is a little wider then my rear on the KP60 trucks but I haven't noticed this on anything but KP trucks. A wider axle can turn sharper cause the pivot is further from the spring. Steering box/pitman arm travel limits the steering angle if my tires weren't a factor. With pitman arm disconnected then the stop is the limiter but it can be removed. The true limit of steering angle is the U-joint, both use the same joint and aftermarket/modified joints/axles help both turn sharper. My 89 CCLB with a KP60 and 37s turns sharper then my brothers 01 ECLB with BJ60 and 33s.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:46 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
solid axle, ttb axle