Sponsored by: Moser

2013 Information Display Controls

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 08:24 PM
HillbillyTim
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 Information Display Controls

I bought a 2013 F150 XLT last week and I can't figure out the controls on the steering wheel. According to the manual, I have Type 1 controls. I can access Trip B but can't access Trip A. I unable to switch from Trip B. If I go to the Gauge portion it is blank. If I access one of the sections I can't back out of that section. The owner's manual is pretty vague. Any help would be appreciated.

Tim

Old 10-16-2013, 09:33 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HillbillyTim
I bought a 2013 F150 XLT last week and I can't figure out the controls on the steering wheel. According to the manual, I have Type 1 controls. I can access Trip B but can't access Trip A. I unable to switch from Trip B. If I go to the Gauge portion it is blank. If I access one of the sections I can't back out of that section. The owner's manual is pretty vague. Any help would be appreciated.

Tim
Hi Tim,

I checked out the third printing of your Owner's Manual and found the following instructions on page 114:

"TRIP A/B: Registers the distance of individual journeys. Press and release
INFO button until the A or B trip appears in the display (this represents
the trip mode). Press the RESET button to reset. Refer to UNITS later in
this section to switch the display from metric to English."

Try pressing and releasing the INFO button to see if you can toggle between Trip A and Trip B. If you're still having issues, you can always bring this up to your dealership the next time you're in for a maintenance appointment.

Crystal

Old 10-16-2013, 09:38 AM
HillbillyTim
Freshman User
Crystal, thanks for replying. I've tried what you suggested. It doesn't work. I can get to trip B and I cDNA reset it , but I can't toggle to trip a. I'll take it to the dealer.

QUOTE=FordService;13633822]Hi Tim,

I checked out the third printing of your Owner's Manual and found the following instructions on page 114:

"TRIP A/B: Registers the distance of individual journeys. Press and release
INFO button until the A or B trip appears in the display (this represents
the trip mode). Press the RESET button to reset. Refer to UNITS later in
this section to switch the display from metric to English."

Try pressing and releasing the INFO button to see if you can toggle between Trip A and Trip B. If you're still having issues, you can always bring this up to your dealership the next time you're in for a maintenance appointment.

Crystal[/QUOTE]

Old 10-16-2013, 10:22 AM
msalyer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wrong info.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:04 PM
HillbillyTim
Freshman User
I took my truck back to the dealer today. They determined that my truck was built with the wrong steering wheel. They ordered a new one to install and will reprogram the instrument cluster. Must have been built on Monday morning or Friday afternoon.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:34 PM
south fulton
New User
It's good they got it figured out Tim!

They way things work any more I wonder whether Monday morning/Friday afternoons play any part in the results?

Old 10-22-2013, 08:32 PM
HillbillyTim
Freshman User
Picked up my truck today with the new steering wheel. Everything seems to be working now. I can now navigate between all of the choices on the dash.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:39 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
I took my truck back to the dealer today. They determined that my truck was built with the wrong steering wheel. They ordered a new one to install and will reprogram the instrument cluster. Must have been built on Monday morning or Friday afternoon.
That is not comforting. Im glad you got it all fixed up and all that, and I hope that is the only thing they put together wrong. Not trying to be a Sad Sam, but good gosh a wrong steering wheel is miles away from a wrong bolt, lug nut.....etc.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:03 PM
ls973800
Senior User
Dealers are supposed to demonstrate all of the options, gadgets, buttons, etc upon delivery of a new vehicle. Most of the time it's the salesman who does that. Some larger dealerships even hire people to just deliver a new vehicle the proper way, thereby not taking away from the salesman's time.

It sounds like your dealer just handed you the keys and sent you on your way. Otherwise during the delivery this should have been noticed right away.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:33 AM
jmasin
New User
Wow, crazy!

Well, glad you go it figured out quickly!

That would have been my last guess..

Old 03-18-2014, 09:09 AM
rgoppert
New User
2013 F150 Display Problems

I am having issues with my Instrument Displays where the first time after you start the Display defaults to Gauge form any sub-menu mode. as long as power is applied it will then function normally ie sub-menu back to menu mode as in fuel economy readings to fuel economy, not gauge. Cycle power it defaults to Gauge. Anyone else seeing this as Ford told my dealer it is normal. My 2011 F350 ddn't do this and my wife's 2013 Taurus doesn't either.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:58 AM
thomastl
Senior User
Not normal if your talking about just cranking and turning off the truck.
If your talking about removing the battery in terms of cycle power then yes.

I have had mine do it a few times and it does seem wierd that all of a sudden you crank up and the display is in gauge mode as if the battery had been removed or the computer did a reset.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:01 AM
rgoppert
New User
The dealer has had the truck since last Wednesday and sees the problem. They know it is not normal as the other trucks there do not operate this way. Ford Tech Support can't figure it out, I guess they don't look at the electrical schematics, so if it isn't fixed I guess I get the old yellow LEMON magnets out I had on the doors of my 2008 Dodge. A $50,000 truck should not have these problems!

Old 03-25-2014, 08:23 AM
thomastl
Senior User
Seems like it should be simple enough to do a reflash of the dash/body control computer and see if the problem goes away. I have had issues with sync reflash not taking the first time and causing all kind of problems with the phone bluetooth system. They had to reload again and all was fine.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:33 AM
rgoppert
New User
My dealer is doing all they can, it is FORD that is lost in providing instructions as what to do. They are at least giving me a free rental, except for the gas so I can't complain about that.

Quick Reply: 2013 Information Display Controls