General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Who makes a better tractor, Kubota or John Deere?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 07:54 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My father is getting up there in years and is looking at getting a small tractor to do stuff around the acreage that he used to do by hand. He asked me my opinion on which of these I thought was best and I frankly have no idea. Any of you used either brand or have any feedback? Thanks.

Old 06-19-2003, 08:17 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver

Kubota makes a helluva little tractor for far less than a John Deere, there is a guy about 1.5 miles down the road from my dad that has a mid 70s or early 80s model.

Old 06-19-2003, 08:36 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Similar threads have come up before, and you'll get a lot of folks telling you to get a Deere. I had a 420 w/ a 60" deck, and it was one big headache- just one problem after another. It wouldn't start, then it wouldn't stay running if the temp. was below 60 degrees, etc... I know a few people with Kubotas and they're all happy.

Old 06-19-2003, 09:11 PM
Jim242002
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now I do like John Deere....I have two but get a front cutter with 48 inch cut and normal steering man that thing can cut very good and take care of a couple acres...If you have more then just go with a tractor or a bigger mower...
But names are names...Every company makes good mowers...I owned a Sears Craftsman a few years back and man I had to duct tape up that mower so much lol...It was a very poor mower...But I enjoy my John Deere....

check that out see what ya think

http://www.deere.com/en_US/groundsca...mow/index.html

Last edited by Jim242002; 06-19-2003 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:17 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 341 Likes on 207 Posts

We have a Deere 770 4x4, which is a fairly small tractor. It's several years old now, and was purchased new. We've given it heck and it's never had a single problem, except the front drive tires are worn out quick because of the snow plowing we do with it. A GREAT tractor...but it was expensive.

My girlfriend's father has a Kubota and he loves it. He won't buy anything but a Kubota. So I would say either would be a quality machine...just get the one that's the cheapest, which probably will be the Kubota but you can check around.

Old 06-19-2003, 10:43 PM
jrs_big_ford_f150
Posting Guru

Kubota has built mainly small tractors since when they began in the 1960's. Kubota's a re a great tractor IMO. The 2 that I drove were fit for the job. Mainly bush hogging and moving some dirt around. John Deere makes a good tractor too. Depends on how big a job you have on your hands. Kubota for small fields, John Deere for the larger jobs that need a bigger tractor.

Old 06-19-2003, 10:44 PM
BuiltToughF250
Posting Guru

ok through the beers i cant figure out if you mean a SMALL tractor, or something bigger than a typical riding lawnmower....

my bro has a kubota tractor, 4x4, diesel with the big 38? inch turf tires on the rear... i dont know how big they are but im 6 foot 1 and they come up to my hip. anyways, it was 19,000 new, with a bucket, forks, 3 point hitch, and MAN IT CAN LIFT WOOD.. we use it for tree removal, it can lift 900 pounds on the front end....

i think its a Kubota 4710 ? maybe i got the modle number wrong.. hope this can help

Old 06-19-2003, 11:16 PM
MountainHound
Elder User

I have a John Deere 4100 4wd with a 20hp diesel. Got a 54" mid-mount mower deck, a 4ft rear pto brush mower and a front and rear blade. It's alot bigger than a lawn mower but smaller than fullsize tractor. So far I have 150hrs on it and not a problem at all. Works like an ox.

Moved alot of snow this winter with it and it started right up cold at temps below 10 degrees. I bought front weights and put on an old set of chains on the front tires and it plowed 20" of snow like a dozer. Never owned a Kubota but I'm pleased with the Deere.

Old 06-20-2003, 12:23 AM
deere81
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I am a big Deere fan, so I would probably buy a Deere. I have operated many Deere tractors, mostly on our farm and have also worked on them at a dealership. Another reason i prefer Deere is because of the dealer network they have. Having worked at a Deere dealer, I absolutely like the 4000 series tractors. I do think that Kubota makes good tractors. I have never operated one, but talking to people that own one and looking at them i wouldn't be afraid to buy one. i would consider comparing prices of comparitive models and the distances to the closest dealer of each brand.

Old 06-20-2003, 06:14 AM
Huntsman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a JD 750 20 HP diesel for 15 years, great little tractor. Never had ANYTHING go wrong or tear up on it. I pulled a 60" rear mower with ease as well as a 4-foot box blade when needed. Sold it for what I paid for it, that’s a pretty good investment in anybody's book.

I went into withdrawals after a year and had to buy another JD, this time a little larger 4200. 26 HP. Great little tractor.

Hears a link to a great compact tractor site.

http://tractorpoint.com/cgi-bin/trac...e=tractorpoint

Old 06-20-2003, 07:21 AM
NRAJOE

Deere!

Old 06-20-2003, 07:34 AM
bigdmizer
Elder User

I own two Kubota's and had a John Deere before the Kubota.

The Kubota's across the board tend to have heavier duty parts. They stand up to punishment as well as any tractor I've seen. The John Deere is a good tractor, but all things being equal I would put more confidence in the Kubota. The Kubota also has a greater assortment of attachments available. The smaller Kubota's stand up to commercial rigors very well, They seem to be heavier duty in construction then the smaller Deere's. Basically speaking, either tractor will serve you well, especially if you just using it casually around the homestead. Have faith in either purchase.

Old 06-20-2003, 07:40 AM
rob_nc
Posting Guru

Glad to see this hasn't turned into a foreigh versus domestic thread.

I would have to agree with the majority here. Both names have great tractors. I guess it all boils down to features and price unless price is no object.

Old 06-20-2003, 07:47 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend

I was told that Kubota, though a Japanese company, is made in the USA, whereas all the other major tractor companies' smaller (roughly under 80 hp) tractors are foreign made. Companywise, I like John Deere and would expect their high standards to apply to any foreign made tractors they sell. In reading a factory history of John Deer it showed new engines being align bored through the crank journals--a step that I don't think the auto companies even do, but custom engine builders do. I also like New Holland, even though they are no longer connected with Ford. Perhaps an older New Holland that has the Ford logo on it. Or he could get a really old Ford tractor such as an 8N.

Old 06-20-2003, 09:28 AM
Waxy
Postmaster

The simple answer IMHO, it that you can't go wrong with either.

Kubota makes great tractors, and their small diesels are second to none in quality and performance.

John Deere is John Deere, they are simply the standard by which all other tractors are judged. You pay a premium for them, but in my experience, the saying is true, nothing runs like a Deere.

I'd say it comes down to price and features. Go with the tractor that best suits your needs and budget.

Waxy

Quick Reply: Who makes a better tractor, Kubota or John Deere?