1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Changed Leaf Springs, Not sitting right

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 09:02 AM
chiefsk
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changed Leaf Springs, Not sitting right

Hi Guys, I need your input. I changed out the leaf springs with flex end hangers to new leaf springs for non flex end hangers and used the DJM front hanger and DJM lowering shackles on the rear. Every thing went together well and it lowered the truck about 4". The problem is that one side sits lower than the other by 1".
All bolts are in same locations on both sides in relationship to hangers????
I may be able to raise one side by using a different mounting hole, but i shouldn't have to should I.
Need your input
Thanks for any and all input

Old 10-13-2013, 09:24 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
More info please...

New or used springs? Have ya put a few miles on it? Was the hardware tightened with it up on jack stands or with the static weight on the suspension?

Old 10-13-2013, 09:37 AM
chiefsk
New User
New Parts

I used new New Leaf Springs, New Hangers. Put truck on stands and lowered rear end to take weight off springs to remove the old ones. the installed new springs and raised rear end to align bolt holes in hangers. only have 1 mile on it. Was tighted on jack stands

Old 10-13-2013, 09:43 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by chiefsk
I used new New Leaf Springs, New Hangers. Put truck on stands and lowered rear end to take weight off springs to remove the old ones. the installed new springs and raised rear end to align bolt holes in hangers. only have 1 mile on it
Thanks... I'd first loosen and re-torque the leaf spring cross bolts/nuts with the weight on the axle. I believe logging more miles on it will help it settle. It's fresh metallurgy and will likely need more cycling. Patience.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:48 AM
chiefsk
New User
Thanks

I'll try that and see what happens... Yep all new parts. Thanks for your help

Old 10-13-2013, 12:20 PM
chiefsk
New User
call Hio Silver

Just loosened all the hangers with the weight of truck on springs and had no change. Passenger side sitting 1" lower.....Any ideas

Old 10-13-2013, 12:31 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Just loosened all the hangers with the weight of truck on springs and had no change. Passenger side sitting 1" lower.....Any ideas
Greetings... just came back in for a bite to eat.

Per your post above, I meant the bolts through the leaf eyes - not the brackets. That is to eliminate the possibility of any binding due to tightening of the eyes and bushings while it was up in the air.

Go for about a 30-minute drive and "exercise" the new springs... drive plenty on street/roads with bumps and such.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:37 PM
MavSprint
Elder User
Is it close to level with someone in the driver's seat? Do you have an aux fuel tank that might push the driver's side down when filled?

You could try loosening the bolts on just the driver's side, jump on that side several times to see if the bolts/bushings will rotate some and re-tighten.

Is the front also off level? Could a weak front spring be the culprit?

Old 10-13-2013, 04:19 PM
chiefsk
New User
Loosened Eye Bolts

I loosed the eye bolts only untill just snug. Went for a drive, went over bumps, railroad tracks. Still the same. Still 1" lower on passenger side.
I moved the rear hanger bolt one hole on passenger side and now equal height. Went for a ride, over railroad tracks, speed bumps..Still level
No aux Fuel tank, Nothing in Bed. Empty truck....I guess I'll watch it..Reason I changed springs as when I put my foot into throttle it felt the rear end was going to fall out. Now that is all gone and it's nice a firm...Is it possible that the frame is out. I'm running a 428cj with 450hp and 460 torgue
Last year I had to change out the Trac Loc differential as it wiped out all thrust washers and chews up some spiders. Been running open case for the last year with the passenger side doing the spinning. Rebuilding Trac Loc with new axle bearings now

Could I aslo have a bad shock????????

Old 10-13-2013, 05:34 PM
2FordTrucks
Senior User
Shocks control the ride, don't really have anything to do with height unless you have those coil over shock type set up. Sounds to me like you have mis-matched springs that were sent to you. If you got it right then drive it for a while and see what happens. If it settles uneven then you may have to have the offending leaf re-arched or you may want to call the supplier and see what is up.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:32 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If it really bugs you to the point you can't live with it try switching them or find a spring shop and have the tested for unity. Back in the 80's had my rear spring re-arched to take out the sagging P-side with the camper on it hard to find a shop then.
Maybe just get some adjustable shocks to even it out on the lower side would be the easiest and cheapest way level it out....orich

Old 10-14-2013, 05:05 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
If your bed is like mine it's a teaked bed your measuring from. Hope yours isn't. Mine looks like some end loader dumped 3 tons of stone too quick on the r/r corner.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:39 PM
carchub
Tuned
I've also noticed my bed to be a bit lopsided, and I have the same theory except it was probably a camper shell that twisted it a little.