6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Variable Deltas 20 to 0 back to 20 One trip

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 11:47 AM
lupuseven
YouTube Certified Mech
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Variable Deltas 20 to 0 back to 20 One trip

Early '04 CC LB SRW.
first off I PLAN on a Restore Flush next week then oil cooler replacement Thanksgiving week.

Main question- is there anything else that might be going on that I should be concerned about? Its my only vehicle and I wont be pulling anything until after cooler replacement.

Cruising:
EOT 208 +/- 2*
ECT 188 +/- 2*

When the engine is being worked (traffic, big hill, heavy pedal, any combination) EOT climbs to 225* avg highest ever was 240*. By time EOT hits 220ish ECT matches it and rises with it. The fan kicks in about ECT 220. ECT drops to 190 then rises to match again. Once the engine stress is over ECT drops rapidly back to 188-190. The EOT takes about 3-4x as long to get back to 206-210.

Thanks for taking the time,

Clayton

Old 10-31-2013, 12:38 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
The common and fairly easy for almost everybody to do method is:

with engine fully warmed up (ECT/EOT at least 190, give or take a couple of degrees) while cruising at 65MPH on flat highway - NOT towing.

Under load it's normal for both temps to increase and the delta to vary, typically once you "crest the hill" the temps come down quickly..

Old 10-31-2013, 12:45 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
I would say you are having an issue if cruising shows 20* spread.

(If cruising is some what like Misky6.0 suggested)

Old 10-31-2013, 12:58 PM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are doing the Restore and Restore Plus, make sure you do it BEFORE you swap oil coolers.

Here is the lengthy write up I did for it. It's very long. I'm looking at adding the backflush of the heater core and the oil cooler, but I'm still working on it. Obviously if you are changing the oil cooler, there is no reason to backflush it. I would spend a good amount on the radiator as well.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...tore-plus.html

Old 10-31-2013, 01:46 PM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
For anyone who isn't really convinced that the Restore is worth doing, here is a video of what WAS a clean yellow bucket with no trash in it. This is a sample of what came out of my radiator drain. I poured most of it into empty gallon jugs, and this was in the bottom, so I video recorded it.

And here is a photo of a clogged oil cooler. You think that's what I'm seeing in the bottom of my bucket? I believe it is.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:52 PM
lupuseven
YouTube Certified Mech
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
the 20* spread is at cruising speed close to Misky's, for me 72mph is the sweet spot for my truck. which is why the oil cooler change is planned

Expy that thread is in my bookmarked for reference when I get to it next week. The cooler change will be a week or two after that depending on what my work schedule allows.

I'll be soaking and cleaning everything that is taken off (less turbo) thoroughly and repainting what is needed. Nothing will be put back on until its pristine again, I just like a good clean engine (inside and out) for a variety of reasons.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:28 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by lupuseven
the 20* spread is at cruising speed close to Misky's, for me 72mph is the sweet spot for my truck. which is why the oil cooler change is planned

Expy that thread is in my bookmarked for reference when I get to it next week. The cooler change will be a week or two after that depending on what my work schedule allows.

I'll be soaking and cleaning everything that is taken off (less turbo) thoroughly and repainting what is needed. Nothing will be put back on until its pristine again, I just like a good clean engine (inside and out) for a variety of reasons.

Well becareful About the HPO res and the cleaning Bit many of Folks with the IPR

Old 10-31-2013, 03:52 PM
Mcrafty1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 99ExpyProblems
For anyone who isn't really convinced that the Restore is worth doing, here is a video of what WAS a clean yellow bucket with no trash in it. This is a sample of what came out of my radiator drain. I poured most of it into empty gallon jugs, and this was in the bottom, so I video recorded it.

Restore_Flush - YouTube

And here is a photo of a clogged oil cooler. You think that's what I'm seeing in the bottom of my bucket? I believe it is.

Bill, if you don't mind my asking what were your delta like BEFORE you did the Restore/ Restore Plus flush?

Old 10-31-2013, 04:32 PM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Mcrafty1
Bill, if you don't mind my asking what were your delta like BEFORE you did the Restore/ Restore Plus flush?
I was at 7-10 before the flush and 7-10 after. No change. What I theorize is that my cooler health has possibly been extended by getting most of the junk out. I'm not convinced, after many hours of reading other owners back flushing that you could save one if these in a failed state. I have seen some owners with 40 and 50 deg temp difference get them down to 10-20. By then, its too late. The silicate and rust from neglecting coolant changes has really clogged the cooler at that point. Testing the anti-freeze is a must for maintenance.

So again. In theory, my system was neglected by the previous owner and I honestly believe after seeing the jugs from my flushes, that I bought myself some time. I did the most thorough and time consuming flush except...I wish I had back flushed the cooler, just to see if my temps would have benefitted. Maybe I'm just fooling myself? Who knows. Time will tell.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:54 PM
Mcrafty1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 99ExpyProblems
I was at 7-10 before the flush and 7-10 after. No change. What I theorize is that my cooler health has possibly been extended by getting most of the junk out. I'm not convinced, after many hours of reading other owners back flushing that you could save one if these in a failed state. I have seen some owners with 40 and 50 deg temp difference get them down to 10-20. By then, its too late. The silicate and rust from neglecting coolant changes has really clogged the cooler at that point. Testing the anti-freeze is a must for maintenance.

So again. In theory, my system was neglected by the previous owner and I honestly believe after seeing the jugs from my flushes, that I bought myself some time. I did the most thorough and time consuming flush except...I wish I had back flushed the cooler, just to see if my temps would have benefitted. Maybe I'm just fooling myself? Who knows. Time will tell.
Oh, so the picture of the oil cooler in your previous post is not YOUR oil cooler? you actually haven't changed your oil cooler yet? even with all of the stuff you flushed out of your system your deltas didn't change?....and what do you believe the stuff in the bottom of the bucket to be? or do you have a assumption? It's nasty looking stuff for sure. Also how long ago did you do the flush and what provoked you to do it in the first place? were you concerned with the deltas or were you changing types of coolant?......Sorry about all the questions but I have been asking them since I was a little guy It's how I got a lot of life's answers

Old 10-31-2013, 08:14 PM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Mcrafty1
Oh, so the picture of the oil cooler in your previous post is not YOUR oil cooler? you actually haven't changed your oil cooler yet? even with all of the stuff you flushed out of your system your deltas didn't change?....and what do you believe the stuff in the bottom of the bucket to be? or do you have a assumption? It's nasty looking stuff for sure. Also how long ago did you do the flush and what provoked you to do it in the first place? were you concerned with the deltas or were you changing types of coolant?......Sorry about all the questions but I have been asking them since I was a little guy It's how I got a lot of life's answers
No, that's not my cooler, mine is still there in my truck. The stuff in the bottom of the bucket is what clogs the oil cooler. I had more closeups, but my phone was stolen and they are gone now. Here is a photo of a coolant filter that was cut open. Looks to be the same color as what is in the bottom of that bucket right? The odd thing is that the 'distilled water' flushes that I was doing, were coming out just as clean as they were going in and I was draining them after 200-300 miles and 24 hours. So the gunk in that bucket video came out in flushes AFTER many hours of water hose and distilled water flushing (no chemicals). You tell me. Does the Restore work?

Here is another oil cooler: (Again, not mine) but the color is the same...

And lastly, since I didn't post this in this thread, here are my gallons of draining. If you notice #9 (clear gallon) is a sample taken from my 5th Distilled Water drain and fill. It's very clear. The next day, I began my flush using Restore and look at the first jug (Green #1). That's just a 1 gallon sample of what was coming out. So you can count 3 gallon jugs that were all the same color. It was almost like I had never flushed the System.

In conclusion, all I am saying is that I believe I helped prolong my oil cooler by getting rid of as much cancer as possible. My guess would be that there are more owners who neglect their cooling system, than those of us who take care of them. With a little bit of luck, I'll be reporting back here next year that my EOT vs ECT is still 7 to 10 degrees. Heck, I know people who replace their oil cooler and still have the same spread as I have. Well, I'm all out of .

Old 10-31-2013, 08:29 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Lets throw a WRENCH in this Oil Cooler DeaL LOL

heres Mine look the color

Old 10-31-2013, 09:18 PM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
Benny, I used to work in a machine shop and occasionally I had saw duty where I had to work the entire day cutting aluminum stock. It looks to me like your saw created a lot of aluminum shavings that collected on the goop and covered it up. Did you use a fine tooth saw blade or what? It's hard to say... I have enough photos of oil coolers with that brown inside them that I'm ok with 1 or 2 that don't show it. There was a guy on youtube who posted a video of him back flushing the oil cooler AFTER he took it off the truck. I'm trying my best to find it. It looked just like my bucket X10.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:22 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Only the Coolant rows are Plugged

The Oil Rows Look Clean

That's Not Aluminum Shavings

Old 10-31-2013, 09:31 PM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
Here's another good read... you were on this one Benny... It looks like he said the same thing, he had to cut it multiple times before he uncovered the nastiness. Do you still have yours? LOL

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...oler-pics.html

Quick Reply: Variable Deltas 20 to 0 back to 20 One trip