Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding oil & transmission treatment- over capacity?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 08:56 PM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Adding oil & transmission treatment- over capacity?

I've got one bottle each of Lucas oil & transmission treatment, each about 1 quart. Right now, however, my engine oil and transmission oil are full to capacity, so I was wondering if adding the treatments would cause any over capacity issues? Or would the treatments be "absorbed" by the engine/tranny quickly enough that it won't be a problem?

Thanks.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:09 PM
Hankster1958
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well 5qts + 1 qt = 6 qts so.... UH YUP! Over full.

Automatic Transmissions REALLY don't like over filling.. foaming trans fluid is a BAD thing.

And No, excess "fluids" don't get "absorbed"...

Old 10-12-2013, 09:19 PM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Hankster1958
Well 5qts + 1 qt = 6 qts so.... UH YUP! Over full.

Automatic Transmissions REALLY don't like over filling.. foaming trans fluid is a BAD thing.

And No, excess "fluids" don't get "absorbed"...
Gee, thanks for the math lesson. I really wasn't sure until you clarified it for me that 5 + 1 = 6. I guess now I can tell my physics professor that I didn't need his class after all, and ask for my tuition to be refunded.

Since TREATMENTS are meant to SOAK into seals, FILL scoring and scratches on cylinder walls, and STICK to engine & transmission parts to help prevent dry starts, it's not unreasonable to expect that a TREATMENT would, in fact, be absorbed to some degree by the engine, and would not have a long lasting effect on fluid capacity.

FLUIDS, on the other hand, are meant to be RETAINED by seals and provide lubrication. FLUIDS are not intended to condition seals or fill scoring on cylinder walls or stick to engine & transmission parts when the vehicle isn't running. So at least you were right about the fact that FLUIDS aren't absorbed by the engine.

So, is there somebody that can answer my question without being an ********* about it?

Old 10-12-2013, 10:05 PM
blue924.9
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah dont overfill it unless you want to replace it

Old 10-12-2013, 11:18 PM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
When I added Lucas to my transmission, I pulled over a quart out through the dipstick tube, and put less than a quart back in. Over filling transmissions can cause LOTS of problems. Its not hard at all to remove some trans fluid from the dipstick tube. In fact I didn't even go all the way into the trans. I had a suction gun, and switched hoses to a longer fatter hose, then it tightly sealed inside the dipstick tube and removed over a quart. This is a great alternative to dropping the pan. What a pain in the #$$. Think of over filling the engine being bad (or the trans for that matter) because there too much fluid and not enough space for air. Its always better to be at or just below the full line.

Trans dipsticks can be hard to read but you need to find the film on the dipstick. It will be a really light line. And it can only be found after its warmed up. Good luck man!

Old 10-13-2013, 01:57 AM
Hankster1958
Freshman User
Sorry, but your questions were rather odd to me, for a guy with as many posts as you show ?

Now, if you think you have enough scores n scratches and shriveled seals to account for a FULL QUART of fluid.... etc. you have BIGGER ISSUES!

And that's not being a %#$%$%#$... it's common sense.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:03 AM
Hankster1958
Freshman User
Old 10-13-2013, 01:10 PM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Hankster, I understand that on the surface, my questions seemed to be common sense answers. But here's the deal: just because I've spent a lot of time on this forum, does not mean that I'm aware of every little detail when it comes to these trucks. Most of my knowledge regarding engines has been self taught over the years and from places like this forum. I'm very good at having a particular part, tearing into the engine and replacing it, then reassembling without much trouble.

By contrast, I'm not very good at the technical side of things. I understand that overfilling engine oil can have negative effects, but I don't know how much extra oil it takes to cause problems. I know next to nothing about transmissions, so I had no way of knowing what overfilling them would do.

I apologize for my attitude and language, but I've been on this forum long enough to know that responses like yours tend to scare off newbies and people who aren't very educated about wrench work. Then instead of getting the answers they need, they get it from an unreliable source or not at all and end up making mistakes that cost them a lot of money and time that could have otherwise been avoided. That seems like a high price to pay because all they wanted was an answer to a simple question without being made to feel like a complete idiot because they wanted to learn something. I'm not saying there's no room for jokes and such on these boards, but if it's going to stop someone from learning more about their truck, IMO it's just not worth it.

What seems like common sense to you is not always common sense to everyone else. Not everybody that comes to this forum has previous experience with engines and it's actually very ignorant to assume that they do unless they say so.

Again, I apologize for my harsh words, and I thank you for the links. Thanks also to the others who responded.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:10 PM
Briansshop
Fleet Mechanic
Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by DBGrif91
Since TREATMENTS are meant to SOAK into seals, FILL scoring and scratches on cylinder walls, and STICK to engine & transmission parts to help prevent dry starts, it's not unreasonable to expect that a TREATMENT would, in fact, be absorbed to some degree by the engine, and would not have a long lasting effect on fluid capacity.

That's funny.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:30 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is one of the funniest threads I've read for some time. So I guess if I pour an extra quart of fix-it fluid the engine or transmission will absorb it. Someone needs to tell Lucas that way they could sell more product.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:33 PM
Hankster1958
Freshman User
DBGrif... no problem, there's TONS I don't know either. That's why I'm here too, sorry if I came off wrong. Been one of those weeks here

Old 10-14-2013, 08:27 AM
Roger T. Pipe
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
@ Hankster & DBGrif...I think you've both settled this like civilzed gentlemen. I thought this might escalate to a pissing match. I'm glad it didn't. You've both mastered the fine art of disagreeing without being disagreeable!

Roger

Old 10-14-2013, 11:07 AM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Ow... it's so nice when we all get along . Now DBGrif, Whatever fluid you use will contribute to the total volume, so if you're going to use a 1qt of treatment then you need to take 1qt of oil or ATF from either the engine or trans. they won't soak into the seal, at any rate, if any of it works its way over the seal the quantity will be minuscule.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:03 PM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
ill give you a real answer.

an extra quart in the engine will not cause you any grief, we're talkin an extra 1/4 inch of fluid level, not nearly enough to interfere with the crank. if overfilling with a quart of lucas oil treatment is the specific question, absolutely no harm will be done. the lucas will keep more oil in the upper part of the engine and slow its return to the pan (that's what its designed to do), further diminishing risk of crank contact.

now for the fun part: some of the stuff you said is funny, like fluid additives soaking into seals and metal components. however, anyone who tells you an extra quart in your engine is automatically bad news and "stupid" doesn't really have a clue why they are saying what they are saying, just flaming you for what they perceive as an opportunity to flame. flaming you for asking the question when they cant provide a competent answer backed up by facts (other than the manual says so) is pretty asinine. running an extra quart of oil would indeed be pointless (but not harmful) unless you had an oil temp problem. however an extra quart of lucas would be perfectly fine. a quart will not put you at risk of crank contact.

as for the trans, I wouldn't ever ownerfill an automagic. I mean, I would never own or overfill an automatic.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:00 PM
nflfreak43
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you are needing to put a treatment in oil or trans, your not using the right oil or abusing maintenance..

Quick Reply: Adding oil & transmission treatment- over capacity?