Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Airbag replacement question's for 1997 Explorer, Eddie Bauer.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 10:11 AM
SgtHch
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbag replacement question's for 1997 Explorer, Eddie Bauer.

2 weeks ago I was in an accident that caused the airbags to deploy. Im now in the process of replacing them & Ive a few questions that need answering. For starter's the airbag light flashes then stays on. I attribute this to the fact that the bags deployed & need replacing. What else needs to be replaced thats assocated with the airbags? The Airbag Control Module/Restrain Control Module first comes to mind.
Question: Where is the RCM module located in the trk, & how many are there? Is there one for both sides or does each side have a seperate one?
Question: Can the RCM/Airbag Control Mod. be reprogramed, or would replacement be better, or the only option?
Question: Do the impact sensors in the front need replacing as well & where are they located on a '97?
I need to get the truck back on the road ASAP, as its my only transport back & forth to the doctors. Thanks in advance for any & all replies to help solve this.

Chris H.

I have since located and removed the big blue Air Bag Module, which was located behind the kick panel on the passenger side. Its well protected with a clear plastic cover all around.
Can this module be cleared or reset? I read that just replacing the air bags without replacing or resetting the module would only set off the new air bags. Any thoughts on how to rest or clear the memory in this unit?

Thanks in advance.

Chris H. <!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->
<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1; COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1>

Last edited by SgtHch; 10-11-2013 at 05:17 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 10-11-2013, 05:23 PM
SgtHch
New User
Air Bag Module found.

I've removed the Air Bag Module. Now Id like to know if the Module can be reset or re-programed. Or should it be replaced with a different module altogether?

thanks

Old 10-14-2013, 09:33 PM
FireMe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Restraint Control Module must be replaced, and then programmed to that vehicle with software from Ford. You also need to replace all of the impact sensors and any pretensioners that are deployed.

You really should be following the workshop manual to the letter, as incorrect assembly or disassembly of the system can result in the airbags, pretensioners, and side curtains deploying without warning.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:10 PM
SgtHch
New User
Originally Posted by FireMe
The Restraint Control Module must be replaced, and then programmed to that vehicle with software from Ford. You also need to replace all of the impact sensors and any pretensioners that are deployed.

You really should be following the workshop manual to the letter, as incorrect assembly or disassembly of the system can result in the airbags, pretensioners, and side curtains deploying without warning.
Thanks for your reply. I'm not replacing the RCM yet, until I get it claered & re-programmed. However, Im at a loss as to locating the impact sensors. I have a '97 and I dont know where they're located. I found a round, cylindrical piece, with a rounded white top,and a plug at the other end, bolted onto the radiator support. is this one of the sensors? And if there's another one, where is it at?

Thanks.

Chris.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:29 PM
CBB9M
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Some vehicles need to have the clockspring in the steering wheel replaced if there is an airbag deployment. As was very correctly noted, you really do need to follow the workshop manual to the letter on this one. I suggest a visit to ebay and an investment in a Ford factory service manual for your ride. Alternatively, perhaps someone has one and will post the pages.

On the impact sensors, as I wander through junkyards I see small boxes with wiring coming out of them and they are mounted on each of the forward frame rails, behind the bumper. Now if I had to bet I'd bet those are the sensors (aka, accelerometer) and because Explorers are abundant so are those sensors, and sensors are on vehicles that didn't get hit in front are also abundant. But once again, that factory service manual is something that would be of great value to you right now.