1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

55 LS1/Jag IFS

Old 10-10-2013, 09:20 PM
NoClassic
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
55 LS1/Jag IFS

Wanted to start by saying thanks to everyone who has contributed to the forum over the years. I just now registered, but used it as a resource countless times while working on this project.

I found the truck out in West Texas with very little rust. I lucked into an amazing deal on the Trans Am for the motor and transmission and then went from there. We started it last weekend, and just have a few small items to finish up before its on the road. I have a whole collection of images so if you want to see something specific let me know. Always open to criticism and questions so fire away.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:06 PM
ZFLASH
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice, where are you running the air filter too? Down inside the front fender? Keep the patina look,it looks great. L8R ZFLASH

Old 10-10-2013, 10:11 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Awesome project

Old 10-10-2013, 10:13 PM
NoClassic
New User
Thanks. Yes the filter is inside the fender with a guard on its backside to protect it from water and debris. The patina is staying for now.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:43 PM
smallello
Laughing Gas
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
She sits real nice! Welcome to the forum and good luck with the project. Keep the pics comin!

Old 10-11-2013, 12:01 AM
NoClassic
New User
We ended up putting a set of bags on the front to get it where we wanted. I wish we could have kept the coils, but with how little these motors we it wasnt going to come down to what looked right. Those images actually show it maybe an inch lower than we will drive it at. I like how they look with even wheel to fender spacing front and back.

Here are a few more random images and a video of the first start.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:21 AM
48 Steel
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Nice work. I've been considering bagging my 48. What and how did you install yours? Pics if possible.

"Happiness - 3 pedals and a 5 Speed"

Old 10-11-2013, 09:32 AM
NoClassic
New User
I was out of town and my Dad took care of the installation on the bags so no images.

Basically what you do is remove the upper spring cups from the Jag crossmember by drilling the spot welding. This leaving you with a flat surface for the bag to rest on. Then just drill your mounting holes top and bottom and run the lines through the existing hole used for the jag specific threaded spring compression tool. One thing to note is you need a small diameter (around 5") bag to prevent rubbing on the inboard side of the crossmember.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:33 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

I like your upper shock mounts. I mounted mine to the frame, but I think your mounts are cleaner. Nice job. FWIW, I'm going to replace front wheel bearings soon, have one (original) starting to go bad. The bearings are common to over 2000 domestic cars, according to one website. You can get them anywhere, cheap.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:18 PM
NoClassic
New User
Yeah my Dad did a good job on the shock mounts. Our subframe is soft mounted using the stock jag isolators so going to the frame for the shocks wasnt an option.

The bearings are the only thing we did not replace on our subframe, but they did feel and look ok. Thanks for the warning though, I will keep an eye/ear on them.

On another note we re-installed the exhaust after adding a crossover tonight and let the motor run for a good amount of time. All seems well with just a small coolant leak from a compression clamp I salvage from the trans am. I will finish up the shift linkage this weekend, along with plumbing the brake booster vac source, and plumbing the PCV. Still waiting for a cooper bussman PRM to show up for the electric fan.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:43 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
what did you do for rear suspension, is that an 8.8 on stock rear leafs? If so any leafs removed? Or is a different spring setup? Is that C notch strong enough to support the leaf suspension?

Old 10-11-2013, 08:02 PM
NoClassic
New User
The rear is an LSD 3.73 8.8 on the full pack stock leafs with drop shackles and relocated mounts. I think the notch will be fine for the intended use of the truck. It wont even see any heavy loads to towing. If we make more power later on, it will get a 4 link.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:17 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice looking truck and work and the engine sounds great.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:15 PM
NoClassic
New User
Thank you.

Also if anyone wants one of the gauge surrounds I had made there are around 15 of them left because of order minimums from the laser cutter and powdercoater. I will let them go cheap just PM me.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:00 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 123 Likes on 63 Posts
Very nice work! Your Jag installation looks nice and clean. I was one of the first on the forum to install the Jag however other projects slipped in such that I have not driven my 49 with the Jag installed. Installing the Jag seems to be more common in the bonus built trucks due to the narrower 32" vs. 34" wide frame rails in the engine bay on the post 52 trucks. More pictures of your installation would help others considering the Jag under the 34" wide rails particularly since you soft mounted it. I can't see it from you pictures but assume that you notched either the jag cross member or the frame rails.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 55 LS1/Jag IFS