Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-08-2013, 09:43 PM
Postmaster

StanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to behold
Any body using a gravity feed from auxiliary tank

Just installed the plumbing for my 100 gallon in bed tank to feed into my Titan 60 gallon under bed tank. It doesn't seem to be working. I'm using a gravity feed kit from Northern. I put 30 gallon into the auxiliary and set it up to feed into my half full titan. In 4 hours the depth of fuel in the auxiliary went down 1 inch and the truck fuel guage did not move.

The aux tank has two bungs and I put a fuel cap on each one. It looks to me like the way those caps go that they supply the air. I can't find any other air relief. What am I missing?

GONE NOW:2008 DRW CC deleted and tuned. Bullet proofed motor and built transmission, totaled by a drunk old woman. I miss it. 2001 F250 4X4, loaded with stuff and a great truck but my big 5er was just too much to handle for her.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:05 PM
Senior User

Mystic_Cobra is starting off with a positive reputation.
Got any pics? I'm not that familiar with the kit you used but I would think you have to have a blockage or suction issue.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Postmaster

StanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic_Cobra View Post
Got any pics? I'm not that familiar with the kit you used but I would think you have to have a blockage or suction issue.
Yeah, I think I need to vent the bed tank. I ordered a vent today. guess that's called an air lock. the kit is nothing but a hose from the bottom of the bed tank into the hose where the OE tank is filled. There is a roll over valve in the hose that shuts off the flow when the fuel fills to that level. it's all new stuff, no obstructions so the only thing left is some sort of air pressure problem. I got a lot of hits on google but none that really solved the problem for me.

GONE NOW:2008 DRW CC deleted and tuned. Bullet proofed motor and built transmission, totaled by a drunk old woman. I miss it. 2001 F250 4X4, loaded with stuff and a great truck but my big 5er was just too much to handle for her.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:55 PM
Senior User

Mystic_Cobra is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would think a vented cap would work too. But then you'd have to worry about spills from sloshing. Have you checked with the mfr or vendor to see if they have ideas?
good luck!
Old 10-09-2013, 10:40 PM
Elder User

Mud Doc is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the RDS 60gal/tool box combo and the gravity feed kit. Works fine, except when the tank level goes below 1/2 or so, there is not enough head pressure to overcome the lack of venting. I have to release the fill cap and the feed starts again. Have used this setup in 2 trucks for over 250000 miles. You can hear the air going in when the cap is loosened.
I recently moved the original fill neck to the forward bung, and put a 45d street ell in the rear bung. This allows for some air seepage and now the tank drains into the truck til almost empty.
If you are new to this type tank/fill, remember to not leave your truck tank cap open when filling up the bed tank--there will be enough head pressure to overcome the fill check valve and you will get diesel on the ground. But most of the time I can take the truck cap off and there is no fuel in the neck--you can hear the drip-drip-drip as the tank gravity feeds in.
Joe
Old 10-10-2013, 08:05 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Doc View Post
I have the RDS 60gal/tool box combo and the gravity feed kit. Works fine, except when the tank level goes below 1/2 or so, there is not enough head pressure to overcome the lack of venting. I have to release the fill cap and the feed starts again. Have used this setup in 2 trucks for over 250000 miles. You can hear the air going in when the cap is loosened.
I recently moved the original fill neck to the forward bung, and put a 45d street ell in the rear bung. This allows for some air seepage and now the tank drains into the truck til almost empty.
If you are new to this type tank/fill, remember to not leave your truck tank cap open when filling up the bed tank--there will be enough head pressure to overcome the fill check valve and you will get diesel on the ground. But most of the time I can take the truck cap off and there is no fuel in the neck--you can hear the drip-drip-drip as the tank gravity feeds in.
Joe
Hi and thanks, when you say you have to open the fill cap you are reffering to the cap on the in bed tank, right? Where/how did you get a 45 degree street ell in the bung. I would love to find anything like that. I was thinking I would have to drill and tap the tank to install the air vent. Thanks

Old 10-10-2013, 08:07 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic_Cobra View Post
I would think a vented cap would work too. But then you'd have to worry about spills from sloshing. Have you checked with the mfr or vendor to see if they have ideas?
good luck!
Yeah, I exchanged some e mails with them but the tag is gone from the tank and they seemed to not want to fool with me if I couldn't I D the tank model.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:49 PM
Elder User

Mud Doc is starting off with a positive reputation.
Stanley,
My tank/tool box combo had 2 bungs in the lower section next to the tool box. Not sure what the configuration of yours is.
The straight fill neck/cap was in the forward bung (welded) then the float guage, then a blank 2" bung with a plug in it. I just took the plug out, put in a 2" galvanized street ell and put the original plug in the female end of the ell. Since I did this, the ell and plug don't seal as tight as the plug did in the tank and I get some air bleeding in.
My tank is entirely below the truck bed edge, and the tank has a cutout section to the side of the tool box--that is where the fill neck is. This is also where an elec pump could be mounted.
Joe
Old 10-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Postmaster

Mine is L shaped 100 gallon, with a 2 inch bung on each side of the top, I couldn't find any bung with a tube. I bought a 2 inch plumbing cap, drilled it with a half inch drill but the air valve has some funky 10 NPT tapered threads and no luck finding a nut for that. So, I reamed the hole a bit bigger and installed the air/roll over valve with some Number 1 Permarex holding it in. Right now it's curing. There is no pressure on it and I think what I have will work. I'll know more tomorrow. I wanted to have a fill cap on both sides so I could fill from two pumps but I can't think of a good way to get the sir valve mounted in the top of the tank.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:42 PM
Senior User

mich800 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Your aux tank should have a rollover vent on the top. If you capped it that is your problem. I just ran a line from my aux rollover vent to where my feed line at the bottom exits to the primary tank.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:29 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich800 View Post
Your aux tank should have a rollover vent on the top. If you capped it that is your problem. I just ran a line from my aux rollover vent to where my feed line at the bottom exits to the primary tank.
Not sure I understand what you say you did, but yes I installed a vent with rollover valve on top of the tank. To avoid having to drill through the tank I just drilled through a bung cap and installed the vent there. I added a couple inches of hose just to keep the rain out but it is vented to the atmosphere, I don't see a need to do anything else. It now seems to be working fine.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:23 PM
Senior User

mich800 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyZ View Post
Not sure I understand what you say you did, but yes I installed a vent with rollover valve on top of the tank. To avoid having to drill through the tank I just drilled through a bung cap and installed the vent there. I added a couple inches of hose just to keep the rain out but it is vented to the atmosphere, I don't see a need to do anything else. It now seems to be working fine.
I am surprised it did not have a rollover vent on the top of the tank to begin with. And yes, I did what you did by running the hose from the the top roll over vent down and out the same hole I drilled in the bed for the gravity feed line. So mine also vents to atmosphere but under the bed in the event some diesel gets out the vent and not get the bed oily. Hopefully that was more clear.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:29 PM
Postmaster

OK, gotcha. In my research I think I learned that there are two types of in bed tanks, auxiliary and transfer. Auxiliary are built with a rollover air vent and a fill pipe in them,transfer tanks are built with two bungs, one for the fuel cap and one for the pump. At least that seemed to me to be the way it worked. my tank was a transfer and at one time had a pump attached.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:35 PM
Freshman User

speedyfz1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Vent

Post some pics of your venting job.
Plus toys!!!
Old 10-22-2013, 03:53 PM
Postmaster

OK, here goes. To install the roll over vent I had to make the plug thinner so I used the sawzall to cut about two thirds of the square part off, then drilled and tried using the die set to make some threads in the hole, but that wasn't gonna happen so I ended up installing with form a gasket. Seems to be holding and flowing good so far. looking at the pics my little piece of hose looks king of crappy, I may upgrade it now.
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2013, 03:53 PM