Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 06:20 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Shocks

OK - have my 'new' truck in the driveway (wont fit in the garage until I can clean it out) and of course have started going over it from one end to the other. So far, only shocks - but it probably needed them after the first 25 miles. I used Bilsteins on the '06 and they were pretty good but quite harsh unless I put the tire air down to 50-55 psig. I've seen several 'raves' about Rancho 9000XL, but right now, the cash coffer is pretty bleak. Are there other good choices? Another website had mentioned that Monroe Reflex shocks were pretty bad, but Rancho's are Monroes - so any insight? I thought about KYB, but haven't heard much about then in years.

Oh and the 'new' truck - OMG it's long compared to the '06:

Old 10-08-2013, 07:00 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
how do you know they are bad? My 08 which I just traded in still had orginal shocks at 86K. Take one of the rears loose at the bottom and check it. Maybe they are ok.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:00 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
When the front end of the truck literally 'skates' across the bumps with virtually no driver control is enough personal evidence, especially while driving down the same 'test stretch' of road I had driven at approximately the same speed with the Bilstein equipped '06 about 2-3 hours previously. Additionally, if I'm going to spend 'quality' time removing a shock. it will be replaced by something better, not for inconclusive testing. Testing a shock is more the checking a resistance by hand. Most of these later design shock absorbers have engineered valving capabilities inside that allow then to adjust for road conditions. Heck, even the car that I have in the FTE site Garage has multiple settings (9) plus is valved for changing road conditions.

My history with OEM Ford shocks on later model pickups has not been good. The OEM Rancho's that were removed from the '06 at 37,000 were junk. I stood them upright along a wall waiting their trip to the dump - 3 of the 4 collapsed under the weight of the top cover within minutes while the 4th was 'OK' as far as not drooping. Going back a few years - the '97 and the '01 failed with less then 40K, drooling their oil down the sides

Now, back to my OP question - are there other GOOD choices then Bilstein or do I just bite the proverbial bullet?

Old 10-09-2013, 06:59 AM
mudfuel06
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would just bite the bullet. But, I have had good luck with the shocks from Rough Country when I do my lifts. Stay away from Pro Comps, I've never had good luck with them.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:03 AM
snowdog79
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too found the Bilsteins a little on the stiff side, but I really liked them when I had a load as they gave great control. I had a set of the Rancho 5-way adjustable shocks on my '00 7700, and they were perhaps the best shock I've used for a truck yet. Smooth yet well controlled ride unloaded, and great body control loaded with our 2900# slide-in camper. They aren't cheap, but I'll be getting a set for our '94 F250 before next towing season. I've also heard some good things about the KYBs as far as unloaded ride/handling...

Old 10-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by snowdog79
I too found the Bilsteins a little on the stiff side, but I really liked them when I had a load as they gave great control. I had a set of the Rancho 5-way adjustable shocks on my '00 7700, and they were perhaps the best shock I've used for a truck yet. Smooth yet well controlled ride unloaded, and great body control loaded with our 2900# slide-in camper. They aren't cheap, but I'll be getting a set for our '94 F250 before next towing season. I've also heard some good things about the KYBs as far as unloaded ride/handling...
I'm looking very hard at the KYB Gas-A-Just as a trade off between the Bilstein harsh empty ride which my truck sees much of the time and the fully adjustable Rancho 9000XL which get right up there price wise. While doing some basic internet wandering research on shocks for a Ford SD, I'm amazed at how much can be spent per shock - literally thousands of dollars. OMG

Thanks for some 'encouragement' about the KYB.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:15 PM
Rancho Suspension
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink

Don't forget about Shocktober going on right now too, save some money.

Rancho Suspension: RANCHO® ?SHOCKTOBER®? BUY 4 FOR THE PRICE OF 3! PROMOTION

Old 10-10-2013, 07:29 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
OK - thanks for the responses folks.

I'm 'daring to be different' and punched the Rock Auto button for a set of the KYB Gas-A-Just. Now, I just hope that wasn't a mistake, but I really wont know for a few thousand miles. I'll try to remember to post at least first impressions once they are installed next week.

With some apologies to Mr Rancho - Ford Lariats with Rancho branded shocks are enough to make me and many others here more then a bit leery of that brand name. The rest of your product line may be great, but once burned ..... etc

Old 10-10-2013, 07:32 AM
senix
Super Moderator
looking forward to the review. I have the ford branded ranchos on mine right now...not too many have good luck with them.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:10 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by senix
looking forward to the review. I have the ford branded ranchos on mine right now...not too many have good luck with them.
If I don't put a review up in about 2-3 weeks, remind me as I do have a case of CRS and sometimes need a nudge

I just hope that some of the fine FTE constituents here don't get a chance to say "I told ya so" and point at the Bilsteins as a savior

Old 10-10-2013, 10:20 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to say though that the 9000's are NOTHING like the stock shocks...

Although Rancho probably made a butt-load of money for the naming rights from ford, their brand suffered a hit.... (IMHO !)

I need to order some for my 2013 350 platinum ccsb and just need to figure which ones if I have a 5th wheel hitch and rear sway bar on the 11.5k GVWR beauty !

Attached Images  
Old 10-22-2013, 06:28 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
KYB shock installation

I installed the new KYB Gas-A-Just shocks but have only taken a short test ride. First impressions are a marked improvement in the way that the tires seem to stay on the road. The truck no longer has a marshmallow ride and the cornering is smoother with less lean. I do have to say there is a bit more roughness, but not bad. Another unexpected positive is that they actually raised the back bumper some.

The take offs were not leaking but you could collapse them with minimal effort vs the new which almost defied my 200+ pounds since I had to remove the shipping strap on the fronts and wire them partially collapsed to install. The rear shocks took possibly 20 minutes a side to install, the fronts were a bear with Ford's Nyloc nut on the top needing to be drilled through a flat to remove since my Harbor Freight Earthquake impact gun wouldn't even move it beyond barely loosening. The first front shock took hours being conventional with sockets and wrenches, the second about 30 minutes since I had already decided that a drill works best to destroy that top nut.

Next - the Firestone Ride-Rites. They are somewhere between here and there (the check is in the mail syndrome) with 'there' being Indianapolis, ~600 miles away, from a drop shipper. They are supposed to be on my door step by the weekend - maybe. After spending some 'quality time' under the truck, I have found the the original owner had air bags on it based on the marks on the frame and the fact that the rubber jounce bumpers are gone. It also explains why there are a couple of holes drilled in the front of the bed, probably for air valves.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:49 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
I'm just tossing this out because I don't know about specific applications, but I did note a couple comments about Bilsteins being harsh. On my 2003 and 2004 class C motor homes built on 450 chassis I installed Bilsteins, but ordered the softer model rather than the firmer model. I don't know if that same might apply to others trucks, but when considering Bilsteins, it might be worth a look.

Steve

Old 10-22-2013, 07:56 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Oh the joy of getting the old shock off. I will have to keep that in mind what you went through on the fronts.

I am sure at some point mine will need replaced at as well.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:35 AM
Thenewboss
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
When I removed the stock shocks from my 2011 F250 they completely collapsed and did not rebound. I would get terrible bump steer on moderate roads and driving the truck became scary in some situations. All that said, the Bilstiens I replaced them with have been fantastic so far (15,000 miles so far), and I like the “stiffer” ride because to me it’s more compliant rather than stiffer. To get the OEM fronts off I used and 18v impact with a lot of extensions down through the engine bay, the top nuts spun off with no problems, installing the new fronts wasn’t much of a problem using pass-thru sockets and an allen wrench. Pass-thru sockets are one of the best investments I have made tool wise, they are worth a look if you work on your own vehicles.

Edit: replace the steering damper too, you won’t regret it...

Quick Reply: Shocks