6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Another "successful first time wrenching" story

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 08:16 AM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Another "successful first time wrenching" story

A couple weeks ago, just a couple weeks after I got it, my truck's cluster started telling me "fuel filter change required", then a few days later "oil change soon" and "DEF range xxx miles", and seeing as how this was my first experience with a diesel, and especially one this new and tech-savvy, I was a little nervous, to say the least, about tackling it myself.

But I've been shade-tree wrenching on internal combustion engines of all shapes and sizes since my childhood, so I set out to familiarize myself with the processes as much as possible, figuring I could handle it.

I want to take a quick second to thank the members on here for their time and the ones that even went so far to record videos, I apologize the names escape me at the moment, "epiccowlick" I think was one of 'em, but if it helps anyone else coming behind me, these two services are perhaps the easiest ones you'll ever come across.

If I can leave just a tip or two based on my experiences: I found it very easy to hold the drain plug partially in the oil stream for just 10-15 seconds to let that initial pressure die down a little, then fully removed it to let it drain away. I didn't just "pull and run" in other words. I also didn't stab a hole in the oil filter, just unscrewed it and let it drain over the sides for a few minutes then fully removed it. The old filter left its gasket behind, but I've made it a habit to always check for that rare occurence, so no surprises there.

As for the fuel filters, what a simple process, no even real special tools needed. The Youtube video is pretty much spot-on, I mean, you can't really screw that up. Thanks again for that, it's the "fordtechmakluco" one I followed.

From start to finish, I was done in an hour, I started with the water seperator and oil drain and filter, then added ~12 qts of oil and changed the other fuel filter, primed the system, idled for a few minutes while resetting my reminders, then shut it off to top off the oil level and check for leaks. Interesting side note, most oil capacities I heard were 13 qts, my truck took 14, I had exactly one qt left in my third 5qt jug of the motorcraft I used.

So again, thanks gang! Local dealer wanted $125-ish for the oil and closer to $200 for the fuel filters, and while that's not crazy money, there's no need to throw it away either, these two services are super super easy.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:00 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
The Ford specs are 13 quarts for this engine.
I put as much as I can into the new filter (almost a quart) then 12 quarts into the pan plus whatever I couldn't get into the filter.
After a drive and cold soak over night, my oil level is either at half or slightly above within the hatched area over various changes.

$300+ adds up over time when you can do it yourself for much less. Ford certainly thought out the oil and fuel changing process on these trucks.

I changed mine Saturday and switched to Rotella T6. I've used Motorcraft for the past 50,000 miles.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Joe_planet
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I let my local dealer do my oil changes, $90 regular, $80 with coupon.
I do however do my own fuel filter changes as they quoted me 150 when I do it for the cost of the filters at around 50~60$

BTW what did the oil and filter cost you to do the oil change?

Old 10-08-2013, 07:12 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
You can usually find a decent synthetic oil under $20 a gallon (which I doubt you will get for $80 a change...)
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...6-18-99-a.html

That's $68 in oil (with 3 quarts left over for the next change), and about $15 for a motorcraft filter.

So little more expensive to do it yourself if you do it that way, but you get some spare oil and you are running a good quality synthetic.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:41 PM
Armycop
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this feeling...As this is my first diesel truck, I was also hesitant to do the required maintenance, but, as I've built my own track car out of a 2001 'vette, I thought 'what the hell..'. Oil change with filter at 47K when right after 1000 miles of towing was very easy. I went to Youtube for the video tutorials and they were a great help. Thanks to you SuperDuty owners before me to take the time to put those up!
The fuel filter changes were stupid easy as well. Next up, tranny, transfer and rear end fluid changes! Anybody got videos of those...?

Old 10-09-2013, 08:50 AM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Joe- it certainly appears your local dealer's taking care of you, those prices are substantially less than my local quote.

That being said, I ended up pulling OE from stock over here, we have just a few 6.7's in our fleet, so we had all the filters and oil on the shelf. After our "discount" off list, I paid:

FL-2051S $18.28
FD-4615 $76.35
MOTORCRAFT OIL $17.23 EACH JUG

In hindsight, and going forward, I will switch up to the Synth T6, it's only a couple bucks more than my price on the Motorcraft. And if you shop around (ebay/Amazon) those filters can be sourced even less too, as time allows. I was just gonna get it done and outta the way, so I went with what was readily available.