1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1951 Ford F1 resurrection, jag IFS LT1, EFI, T56, etc

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 12:51 AM
snailedupduce
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the hard work.

It's one thing to put in all the work to get your builds to the point they are at but it's another to take pictures and document your builds. I joined the board to thank you for posting all your info. I have a lot of projects, a 3 month old a four year old and two businesses and your threads are saving me countless hours of trial and error and/or research thus allowing me to tackle this, hopefully over the winter. I am having a difficult time finding a jag front end, they are so old, most junk yards that carry euro cars have scrapped them. I'm located in rural NE TN but I'm traveling to FL in a week and hopefully I can snag something down there. If you don't mind me asking, what are you paying for the front ends? Again, Thanks for everything

Old 11-16-2014, 10:35 AM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by snailedupduce
It's one thing to put in all the work to get your builds to the point they are at but it's another to take pictures and document your builds. I joined the board to thank you for posting all your info. I have a lot of projects, a 3 month old a four year old and two businesses and your threads are saving me countless hours of trial and error and/or research thus allowing me to tackle this, hopefully over the winter. I am having a difficult time finding a jag front end, they are so old, most junk yards that carry euro cars have scrapped them. I'm located in rural NE TN but I'm traveling to FL in a week and hopefully I can snag something down there. If you don't mind me asking, what are you paying for the front ends? Again, Thanks for everything
Wow thanks a lot, I think it is great that anything I can show helps out, I am just paying back for others before me who did the same. My builds are all budget builds ( I normally shoot for net $5K cash out of pocket for a build) so I try to recycle and fab what I can and pass on the info, most of us I believe are in the same boat as far as priorities in life and funds.
I have bought Jag IFS units complete from the junkyard for $250, bought a complete jag XJ6 for $500 (net cost after selling parts and scrapping the body is $0) and found one complete unit on craigslist for $100. I prefer the cheaper way of parting a car but it is faster to buy the unit already out of course, and sometimes parts cars just cant be found cheap enough.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:52 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
I don't know how you can build with a $5K budget, not saying you can't but no way I can. Everyone around me want an arm and leg for there junk let alone anything that is useful. I enjoy your builds and the way you do things.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:07 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 56panelford
I don't know how you can build with a $5K budget, not saying you can't but no way I can. Everyone around me want an arm and leg for there junk let alone anything that is useful. I enjoy your builds and the way you do things.
Thanks!
The budget isnt easy, I have to be creative, and I realize I am not building anything that would be considered a show vehicle, just trying to build safe reliable stuff to drive.
I shoot for a NET $5000 out of my pocket. More money might be spent initially. For example the T56 in this build when bought by itself costs easily $1000 and up when you get into including the bell, clutch, hydraulics, etc. This engine, transmission, computer, harness, and other small parts came from a $1500 trans am I bought that was hit. Parted it out and I ended up with $700 in all of those parts. Learned that from HOT ROD magazine, when I was growing up there was a special issue where they built a low buck 57 chevy and used a camaro parts car. Net cash out was much lower that way and it stuck with me.
This truck is probably going to go over the $5000 but not out of control over, problem is the truck was missing so many parts the dreaded "nickel and dime me to death" is in full swing . Plus I bought some stuff I didnt need ($350 guages for example) that will push up the cost.
I keep excel files on every build and track every expense, maybe my next build I will post costs along with the updates.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:21 PM
snailedupduce
New User
I have located a couple complete cars, again time being of the essence, the only way I would consider buying one it would have to scrap out (10.00 a pound last I checked) for what I have into the purchase price. I do not have the drive or time to part one out. I did locate a front end 140 miles away for 350.00. It's funny you mention 5k for your build, that is my threshold for pain too, but I am doing a turbo junkyard LSX build and I know I can keep it around 5k. I will not be painting this build so that saves me a lot of cash and time. I wish you had a picture of your first build with the cab and bed on, I'm very curious how low the truck sits. I have read you don't want it deep in the weeds, but I do. I figure I can adjust with springs etc If it is to high up front. I'll probably ladder bar a 9" for the rear.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:50 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
The truck should be around 6" lower than stock up front with a slight rake up in the back. That is a quick estimate since installing the jag dropped the front of the frame 4" and the front suspension still has to compress another 2 to 3 inches.
There is a build thread that was started and never finished somewhere on the HAMB where the builder notched the jag into the frame for even more drop, if you can find it there is a pic of it with the nose on. It was lower than I wanted and causes other issues like complicating the sway bar mounting.
Good luck with the LS build, I will be looking for the build thread!

Old 11-16-2014, 10:29 PM
snailedupduce
New User
As far me posting my build, don't hold your breath, I'll take pictures and we'll see what happens. I'll focus on things that are odd in my build but I don't see the point of regurgitating your thread, but I will post a link to your builds, ha. Your t56 is a nice little piece, my neighbor has a t5 and wants to use it in his 52 build but doesn't know how to covert the shifter to mid mount, did you do that mod yet?

Old 11-17-2014, 06:44 AM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
I am sure your truck will not be the same as mine, so I would do a build thread!
I am not converting to mid mount, I am mounting a modified shifter body on the trans middle access plate and attaching it to the real rear mounted shifter with a rod and hiem joint system. I plan on using a console that will cover the setup so it will be accessable if needed but hidden from view.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:59 PM
snailedupduce
New User
SOOOOOO. I have been eyeballing a roundhead light xj6 that is sitting in my area and had a couple beers on the way home and said wtf I'll stop and ask them if they are interested in selling the piece of lawn art, upon walking up to the porch, the car is much cleaner than I imagine. So after 3 minutes an old lady answers and tells me it is her husbands and he dosen't want to sell it. Another future crusher....anyways, when I get to FL, full steam ahead and I'll find one.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:38 AM
Björn
Elder User
Read your topic great build
Have a question some one tolt me that the jaguar front had to be 3% lean back on frame otherwise when you make a turn the wheel will not turn back by itself when you drive

Old 11-18-2014, 05:03 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Jag crossmember should be set level at ride height to match the way it was originally installed in the jag. I set mine leve with the frame level, I know I will have a slight rake with no load in the bed but not enough to be an issue with handling.
With the crossmember level the correct anti-dive angle is maintained and caster can be adjusted as intended with shims on the upper control arm ball joint mount. No need to angle the crossmember for more caster.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:01 PM
Björn
Elder User
Originally Posted by drptop70ss
Jag crossmember should be set level at ride height to match the way it was originally installed in the jag. I set mine leve with the frame level, I know I will have a slight rake with no load in the bed but not enough to be an issue with handling.
With the crossmember level the correct anti-dive angle is maintained and caster can be adjusted as intended with shims on the upper control arm ball joint mount. No need to angle the crossmember for more caster.

thanks Dave
It was just a question because next month I will start to get my xjs front on the frame

Old 11-19-2014, 02:30 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Björn
thanks Dave
It was just a question because next month I will start to get my xjs front on the frame
cool, looking forward to a build thread!

Old 03-31-2015, 03:23 PM
F100Jay
Junior User
Hi all, Quick question, i scanned the first few pages and didnt come accross details. Iv just bought an F100 here in the UK. IFS install is one of my first main priorities as i use the truck daily and having disc brakes and proper suspension would be appreciated.

I've looked Mustang II IFS kits and crown vic front ends, my issues is shipping from the USA to the UK is as much as the components in some cases. Glad iv come accross people using JAG kits though as naturally there is an abundance of jag parts here. So the big question, what subframe am i looking for? Off what cars?

Cheers

Jay

Old 03-31-2015, 03:37 PM
Björn
Elder User
Originally Posted by F100Jay
Hi all, Quick question, i scanned the first few pages and didnt come accross details. Iv just bought an F100 here in the UK. IFS install is one of my first main priorities as i use the truck daily and having disc brakes and proper suspension would be appreciated.

I've looked Mustang II IFS kits and crown vic front ends, my issues is shipping from the USA to the UK is as much as the components in some cases. Glad iv come accross people using JAG kits though as naturally there is an abundance of jag parts here. So the big question, what subframe am i looking for? Off what cars?

Cheers

Jay
Go for the jaguar xj front the parts are easy to get and also the front

Quick Reply: 1951 Ford F1 resurrection, jag IFS LT1, EFI, T56, etc