1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1951 Ford F1 resurrection, jag IFS LT1, EFI, T56, etc

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 08:28 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Time is flying and I have too much to do but finally got some time today back on the truck to mess with the rear.
Looked through the parts supply and found a 3:23 posi from a 2nd gen camaro, perfect width at 61" and the perfect gear for the M29 T56. I cut off the mounts and was going to reuse them but decided not to.

After doing some mock ups and moving things around I think I have the rear where I want it. If you use dakota springs and mounts here is how I mounted them. This worked for me with the jag front welded in, may not be the same if your front end is at a different height but I it is a good starting point, the front mount may work no matter what and then adjust the rear as needed for height adjustment.

Front mount upper front hole was mounted to the upper front hole from the rear most running board mount. The running board mount was removed earlier.

Rear mount was flipped and bolted up at the rear of the frame at a factory hole. Hole is large and will be welded up smaller for final mounting.

Here it is mocked up, I have 3" clearance between the axle tube and the frame. Not sure if that is enough or if I need a small C notch, probably need it since I do want the truck to be able to haul stuff. Probably go with air shocks as well for insurance.

Dakota u bolts and lower plates, axle pads from summit. Pinion angle will be set and the pads welded to the rear later once the bed is on and ride height is set.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:29 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by drptop70ss
Time is flying and I have too much to do but finally got some time today back on the truck to mess with the rear.
Looked through the parts supply and found a 3:23 posi from a 2nd gen camaro, perfect width at 61" and the perfect gear for the M29 T56. I cut off the mounts and was going to reuse them but decided not to.

After doing some mock ups and moving things around I think I have the rear where I want it. If you use dakota springs and mounts here is how I mounted them. This worked for me with the jag front welded in, may not be the same if your front end is at a different height but I it is a good starting point, the front mount may work no matter what and then adjust the rear as needed for height adjustment.

Front mount upper front hole was mounted to the upper front hole from the rear most running board mount. The running board mount was removed earlier.

Rear mount was flipped and bolted up at the rear of the frame at a factory hole. Hole is large and will be welded up smaller for final mounting.

Here it is mocked up, I have 3" clearance between the axle tube and the frame. Not sure if that is enough or if I need a small C notch, probably need it since I do want the truck to be able to haul stuff. Probably go with air shocks as well for insurance.

Dakota u bolts and lower plates, axle pads from summit. Pinion angle will be set and the pads welded to the rear later once the bed is on and ride height is set.

It looks like the rear eye of the rear spring may not clear the bottom of the bed at least with a stock bed. Have you checked it?

Old 11-06-2013, 06:45 AM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Bed floor will be set at whatever height is needed, we arent going stock here with this build

Old 11-06-2013, 04:40 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Decision time and not sure which way I should go. <p> I bolted up the front spring hangers and started messing with the rears. With the rears flipped the frame is pretty much level, problem is I have no idea how much the bed will weigh or how much the rear suspension is going to come down once the bed is on, gas tank is in, etc. Front suspenion should come down 2" max. Concern is that the rear will come down more than 2" and then the truck will be rear down which I definately dont want.<p>I can put the rear shackles on "normal" which raises the rear 3", so then if the front comes down 2" and the rear comes down 2" I would still be 3" high in the rear, but I could throw on 2" lowering blocks as needed. Not sure which way to go! I may have to leave the rear loose until I get some weight on the truck and see where it sits.<p>Anyone have pics of the side of their truck that has a raked stance and a measurement from the ground to the front of the running board and from the ground to the rear of the running board? Maybe that would help me figure which way to go.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:57 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
IMHO leaving therear loose at this time is a good idea. not onlt will the ride height change but so will the pinion angle'

Old 11-07-2013, 07:58 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
IMHO leaving the rear loose at this time is a good idea. not only will the ride height change but so will the pinion angle.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:22 AM
Wolfracing
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't see in recent posts. Is this getting notched? Doesn't look like there is much travel room left.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:41 AM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
No worries on the pinion angle, I am not setting that until the truck is together with full weight, pads will not be welded to the rear until then.<p> C notch is going to depend on where I put the rear spring rear most shackles. With the shackles flipped and the frame level there is 3" clearance to the frame so C notch would be needed. With the shackles installed right side up there is 6" clearance, so maybe 4" after the bed is on? 4" may be enough to not need the frame notch. My concern is having the rear of the truck come down too much and not only look bad but be worthless for hauling, so I think for now I am going to put the rear shackles right side up and the truck will be about 3" higher in the rear than the front. If that ends up looking bad I can use 2" drop blocks and C notch the frame at that time as well. May change my mind again, who knows.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:37 AM
dmack91
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My son and I lifted the bed off of my truck (fenders on, no wood floor yet). I doubt it weighed more than 300 lbs. max.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:02 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Not many road shocks will allow more than 4-5" of compression travel before they bottom. You NEVER want the shocks to be the travel limiter, the valving is at the bottom of the rod, and hitting them on the bottom of the housing will destroy them in short order.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:28 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by AXracer
Not many road shocks will allow more than 4-5" of compression travel before they bottom. You NEVER want the shocks to be the travel limiter, the valving is at the bottom of the rod, and hitting them on the bottom of the housing will destroy them in short order.

Thanks, I dont make my shock mounts until the suspension is loaded at ride height because of that. I have a shock book (gabriel I believe) that lists all part numbers with different ends, heights, travel, etc. I am going to have to throw a few hundred pounds on the rear of the truck to see how much it comes down. I will have a full bed with wood floor and a rear mounted gas tank as well, not sure what that weighs but has to be 300 pounds or so.How much rake do you guys run if any?<p> I just set a running board on the frame and with the rear in the higher position the front of the running board is 8 1/2" from the ground and the rear of the running board is 11" from the ground.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:02 PM
SwOkcOffRoader
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about some rear helper air bags?? Could be set up with lines and a valve just like air shocks. Then you set the suspension low, and air up to the height you prefer. I want to run bags all around on my 52.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:51 AM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Cool idea, but I want to try and get this to a "set it and forget it" deal. I am going to run with the rear up higher for now and leave the rear spring perches on with only two bolts. If I dont like the way it sits and I cannot get it right with blocks I will take the bed back off and move the rear perches. I am thinking too much about this, need to get the build moving forward again!

Old 11-08-2013, 12:25 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Awesome info on installing a jag IFS. Have to add myself to this one for my future IFS install.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:08 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Thanks, hoping it will help someone. I have another F1 to do after this one and am going to use the same measurements again. This one is the test bed and all lessons learned will go to the next truck for quick assembly.

Quick Reply: 1951 Ford F1 resurrection, jag IFS LT1, EFI, T56, etc