1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

10,000 & Blown Bellows

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 09:04 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Didn't know that 2's run hotter? Would hybrids be better? Not like I want to jerk them and spend more money, LOL If the compression is low, I don't know what I'll do? I'm still getting used to these tow mirrors but I never see much smoke. Nothing like the mule does. If I'm running light and romp on it I see smoke but still not as thick black as the mule. This is the only thing that makes me wonder about tuning.

WoW, thanks guys. I don't know what to say, thanks for all this input. Todd, if your reading, you told me to do a compression test and I said I would, Me Bad! I'm going to be pulling the head liner, seats & carpet, dash and door panels and sound proof everything. (new thread after I get stuff done around here) Anyway, if I can't find any leaks in manifold, up pipes, IC & pipes, etc. I might just call Jake and see if I send in the turbo if would check it out. Maybe discuss changes to the turbo like you said.
If you absolutely can't find a leak anywhere and it does the same stuff on Cale's tunes... I'd cram more air down it's throat, even if you find lowish compression.. It can't be that dang low compression, it pulls hard from what I hear. Throw an S467.7 FMW with a .90 housing at it to try to stuff more air in it to cool it off. Or just leave it and deal with it the way it is while you wait for the compression to get real bad then yank the engine. LOL

Old 10-10-2013, 09:16 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
42psi backpressure to 20-30psi boost.

Is that backpressure reading from the scan gauge? is that boost reading from your analog gauge or is it the absolute pressure reading from the map sensor?

If that's backpressure from the scan gauge and boost from an analog gauge, it's about as good as you could ask for and I wouldn't touch the turbo. I'm going with boost leak or compression is weak on a hole or two. Get the boost up and EGTs should drop. I believe you're fueling too much because there is an issue with building boost somewhere, that's why the EGTs are a bit hot.

If your engine comes out at 350psi across the board, I'd like to see what Darin's is. LOL
Backpressure reading is from the scan gauge. The boost is from my analog gauge. I still have it mounted in the Y pipe where Jake had the fitting. I'll move them over to the hot side. Glad to hear that those numbers look good!

Old 10-10-2013, 09:30 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

If you absolutely can't find a leak anywhere and it does the same stuff on Cale's tunes... I'd cram more air down it's throat, even if you find lowish compression.. It can't be that dang low compression, it pulls hard from what I hear. Throw an S467.7 FMW with a .90 housing at it to try to stuff more air in it to cool it off. Or just leave it and deal with it the way it is while you wait for the compression to get real bad then yank the engine. LOL
Yes, it does pull hard, even thinking about pulling our little Geo behind the 5er next year. My wife will have something to go shopping with, that way I get her out of my hair, what's left of it, LOL It will be a few weeks before I can even get started, leave a house for six months and stuff goes to he!!

Next spring I'll swing by Texas, farther south then last year, and you can help me rebuild it, LOL. Probably only take us a day or two to do it, right, LOL

Old 10-11-2013, 06:39 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
If I can round up a gauge I will do a compression check on mine when I do the studs. My gauge doesn't go high enough.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:54 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think someone around here has a compression testing kit? At least I recall someone offering it to someone.

IDK, but MANNNN this thread took off. lol Enjoyed the read. Sounds like Glenn has got some testing to dooooo. Hopefully its a matter of needing more air crammed down its throat. Hate to see you have to replace the motor anytime soon.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:05 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by 427 fordman
If I can round up a gauge I will do a compression check on mine when I do the studs. My gauge doesn't go high enough.
I have the Harbor Freight one but lost the fitting for compression testing. I have a link for making one somewhere.

Originally Posted by Awitte58
I think someone around here has a compression testing kit? At least I recall someone offering it to someone.

IDK, but MANNNN this thread took off. lol Enjoyed the read. Sounds like Glenn has got some testing to dooooo. Hopefully its a matter of needing more air crammed down its throat. Hate to see you have to replace the motor anytime soon.
I really don't think I'm low on compression but who knows. I might have a couple cylinders low like Travis but they aren't low enough to cause idle issues. I wish I could break free of these house hold duties so I can 'play'!! LOL

Old 10-11-2013, 10:50 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If all 8 have dropped compression it would idle perfectly normal. Mine doesn't idle as smooth as it could. Its not bad, just could be better. Lol

Old 10-11-2013, 11:42 AM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Happy 10K Glenn! I can't remember what intercooler your running. Could there be an airflow issue there?

Old 10-11-2013, 12:00 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Glenn, did you just buy that cheapo one at harbor freight for 30 bucks, or did you get the spendy one? I notice the spendy one has all the fittings you need, but is 100 bucks more. I'm going to look what I have for fittings and go from there. The snap on kit I have for gas motors has a lot of different fittings, but probably not one that will fit. I'm not gonna spend the 130 or so for something I'm going to use one time.

Let me know if you find that link. Thanks.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:37 PM
richdawg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hodge podged one together from a harbor freight it worked for me but I dismantlement it due safety concerns. here is a link
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-mod-psd.html

and another that is a better way to go Homemade Compression Adapter - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

I also think Bill did one too, maybe he will chime in ( if he is not to busy )

Old 10-11-2013, 05:50 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Thanks Rich. That looks pretty simple. I'll have to order that compression tester and make one of those up.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:42 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

If all 8 have dropped compression it would idle perfectly normal. Mine doesn't idle as smooth as it could. Its not bad, just could be better. Lol
Makes sense Travis!

Originally Posted by pjwoolw
Happy 10K Glenn! I can't remember what intercooler your running. Could there be an airflow issue there?
I have the SD IC Pete, I will be testing it.

Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Glenn, did you just buy that cheapo one at harbor freight for 30 bucks, or did you get the spendy one? I notice the spendy one has all the fittings you need, but is 100 bucks more. I'm going to look what I have for fittings and go from there. The snap on kit I have for gas motors has a lot of different fittings, but probably not one that will fit. I'm not gonna spend the 130 or so for something I'm going to use one time.

Let me know if you find that link. Thanks.
Rich has you covered Darin. I went on Harbor Freight and I don't think they sell the US General item # 93644 anymore. Its a 18 piece kit and wouldn't you know it, I lost the one piece that is used to hock up to the gauge. Because of that is one of the reason's I blew off doing a compression test last winter.

This is a update, it was driving me crazy so I told me wife I'm going to go play with my baby for a few hours, LOL. Popped the hood and every thing looked good all around the turbo and collector. Then I noticed soot on the DP clamp, that makes # 1. I put it up on jacks and looked under. Found soot around the rear cylinder on the exhaust manifold drivers side, #2. Same place that the mule leaked a few years ago. Passenger side looked good, up pipes on both side on the exhaust manifold connections looked good. Then I noticed what looked like soot on top of the trans. My little flashlight wasn't telling me anything so I went and got my spotlight. Oh my oh my #3, the bellow on the drivers side has a split in it from rubbing on the top edge of the trans. I'll have to take the turbo off and get them out of there. I'll email Jake and see if he will do anything about it.

Now, after getting all this together last winter the very best boost was 35-36 and I don't think anything was leaking then. On this 10K trip I did notice that boost was down to 30lbs but didn't put 2 &2 together because I was backing out of it anyway because of EGT's. I defiantly still doing a compression test and if its low MIGHT consider rebuilding the motor. I'll hire my nephew who has all the equipment to get it done, with my help of course.

If it comes to that, I'll be calling you for sure Travis. I will not do a half *** job if it comes to that. I'm almost sure I'm getting way ahead of myself. HELLO HAIL DAMAGE MONEY!! LOL LOL

Old 10-11-2013, 07:47 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Wow, there are 3 things that are affecting your boost and egt's. Is it possible you had a manifold leak right away? That would have knocked the boost down some and egt's up some too. You had so much other stuff going on, maybe you just didn't notice it? I don't think you're gonna find anything wrong with the motor. I'd take care of those three things first, then see where you are at. If I were you and know I will be going on a 6 month 10k trip, I'd pull both manifolds, plane them, and put gaskets on. I'm not sure I'd even bother with pulling the vc's and doing a compression check at this point. I guess that's up to you. If it will make you feel better and get it out of your mind it may be worth it to do it and see.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:59 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 397 Likes on 268 Posts
Plane the manifolds and clean the heads.i then put a skin just to fill imperfections .i dont like gaskets as they are mostly just good to blow out.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:05 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

No on the manifold leak. I remember looking at both of them because of the experience with the mule. I just dread doing that again on a 2wd, it was a PITA. Well, if I have to take the turbo off, the IC pipes, I might as well pull the VC's and do a compression check. Like you said, it will make me feel better. What I'm wondering about is why that up pipe is laying on the top downward edge of the trans. I do remember that I had a hard time making the connection to the exhaust manifold. Maybe I didn't have it tucked in there above the edge of the trans, I'm assuming at this point that it should have been.

Quick Reply: 10,000 & Blown Bellows