Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Senior User

truckpastor is starting off with a positive reputation.
Continuity on starter solenoid

Does anyone know if there should be continuity between s terminal and I terminal on solenoid? With key off and battery disconnected btw and electrical connections on
Old 10-07-2013, 06:31 PM
Senior User

Ummm...I was having loads of fun with my multimeter. I am now stumped on this too. I'm doing the "beep" test for continuity and I put one probe on battery ground cable and the other in the positive ( both disconnected from battery) and it beeps like crazy! Is this normal ? I don't see how that is possible for a ground cable that goes on engine block can connect to positive cable on starter solenoid??? Am I just dumb or did I find some weird problem?
Old 10-08-2013, 11:08 AM
New User

Horizonmech is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't believe the S and the I should have continuity in a static condition, the S terminal is used to trip the relay for cranking condition, the I terminal is used to deliver full voltage to the ignition coil for starting.
Once the ignition SW is turned back to the run position the S, I and starter terminal side if the relay are not energized .......
Old 10-08-2013, 12:06 PM
Senior User

That's what makes me wonder...ill mess with and write down exactly what I'm testing and post it later
Old 10-08-2013, 12:50 PM
New User

Horizonmech is starting off with a positive reputation.
I suppose it is possible that the I terminal gets it's power from the S terminal inside the solenoid , the result would be the same.......basically....

No thats not correct, whats to stop the coil "run" feed from feeding back into the I terminal and then the S terminal.....The "run" feed has to dead end at the I terminal......
Old 10-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Senior User

If someone could for me... Disconnect their battery cables, use a multimeter on the beep continuity test setting and 1. 1. probe the I and S terminal - what happens?
2. Probe from battery cable connection on solenoid and I terminal- what happens?
3. Probe the positive cable end(where it connects to battery) and probe negative likewise - what happens?

ALL TEST WITH KEY OFF AND BATTERY DISCONNECTED

I'm curious if you get different results than me.
Thanks for anyone willing to do this
Old 10-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Post Fiend

spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.
Of course you get continuity thru the wiring from posistive to the negative. If you didn't, things wouldn't work. Electricity flows from the positive to the ground when doing work. If it dosen't, it can do anything you want it to. This situation is often called "a bad ground", or sometimes an open circuit when you have a good ground by no continuity. This by no means is the whole story but it is enough to get you thinking in the right direction!
Old 10-08-2013, 07:52 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks