1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

wiring question (one-wire alternator)

Old 10-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wiring question (one-wire alternator)

Howdy fellas,

I am a little confused and not sure I got great advice from the local auto parts store, so I think I'd better ask you all. As my friend Bill (lorolr on FTE) once said, "I understand electricity like I understand most women: not at all" . So here's my situation: I am getting ready to test fire the engine. I do not yet have an ignition/start switch on a steering column. I have a bare frame except the engine, front end, rear end etc. Anyway...

I have a one-wire alternator and an HEI distributor on my 69-70 351W. I am a little unsure how to properly wire everything together. Please refer to the diagrams below.

My three main questions are...do I run a wire from my + batt post, to my single alternator post, then continue to my distributor with an on/off switch in the line (keep in mind its a GM-sorry-HEI type distributor with the coil built in), as in diagram #1 below...?

--OR--

do I run a wire from my + batt post, directly to my distributor with an on/off switch in the line, and a separate wire from my + batt post to my single alternator post, as in diagram #2 below...?

Part of me believes either plan will work because in the end both diagrams are really creating the same circuit....but again my confidence with electrical stuff is pretty low.

In both cases I will use a momentary remote start switch attached to the starter with alligator clips.

My last question is what AWG wire is appropriate from the battery to the alternator and the distributor? My + batt cable has a 10AWG wire that I believe is supposed to connect into the alternator and/or distributor. My HEI distributor has a 14AWG wire coming out that I believe is supposed connect it to it's electrical source.

Can anyone clarify this stuff for me?

Thanks a bunch! Tyler

Old 10-04-2013, 01:22 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 604 Likes on 376 Posts
Either will work. It would be better to feed the HEI from the battery with say a #14, and have a separate heavy wire (#8 or #10) from the alternator to the battery. You should really ground the engine directly to the battery (-) with either.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:24 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

Thanks Ross! I'll adjust the engine grounding too. Tyler

Old 10-05-2013, 03:36 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Why you aren't wiring in the solenoid? Then the dizzy, starter and battery hook to the solenoid. One wire alternator then hooks directly to battery post. This would be identical to how it will hook up in the vehicle.
To add your ignition switch add a hot wire that would attach through the switch to the solenoid. Just sayin'

Old 10-05-2013, 04:20 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
Why you aren't wiring in the solenoid? Then the dizzy, starter and battery hook to the solenoid. One wire alternator then hooks directly to battery post. This would be identical to how it will hook up in the vehicle. To add your ignition switch add a hot wire that would attach through the switch to the solenoid. Just sayin'
I don't know why I'm not...Like I said, I understand electricity about as well as I understand women. :-)

Old 10-05-2013, 06:18 PM
wallster
Elder User
Here's a simple wiring diagram I drew up that might help. You can take all the hot wires directly off your battery but i would suggest a junction box. If you're using a key switch with a push button the push button would go between the ignition key switch and the safety neutral switch. Omit the safety neutral switch if you don't have one (just make sure the truck is in park before you start it). Also make sure you use the proper gauge wiring with breakers (off of the battery) and ground the engine (and body) to the frame.

Wally

Attached Images