Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > Flathead V8 & Flathead 6
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-04-2013, 08:15 AM
New User

Brettzky is starting off with a positive reputation.
VALUE OF A FLAT HEAD V8

Hey guys so I have never worked on or done anything with a flat head V8 so I have two quesiton for you

1) Ball park what does it cost to rebuild a flat head out of a 52 Mercury M-1?

2) What is the vlaue of a dead flat head with EVERYTHING on it manifolds, carb, EVERYTHING LONG BLOCK?

Thanks for the help

Brett
Old 10-04-2013, 09:10 PM
New User

81silas47 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i can tel you this much ... get yourself a ball park figure and double it n youll hopefully have things about covered... i just ordered an engine kit for my 47 pickup today... that cost about 2400 bucks.. im guessing ill have at least 500 in machining.. and ill be spending ply another 1000 at least on odds n ends like headers, carb kit, ignition system, water pump rebuild kits and the list goes on.. those #s come to about 4 grand and i was thinking at least 5 so wel see how it turns out... im sure there will be more.. good luck
silas
Old 10-04-2013, 09:29 PM
New User

Brettzky is starting off with a positive reputation.
I may just sell the motor as is if that's the case cause I have a 347 all ready to go

What you think the motor is worth as is?
Old 10-05-2013, 01:29 PM
New User

81silas47 is starting off with a positive reputation.
man idk.. is it seized ? i bought 2 47 half tons together with some very minor tune ups n fiddling around i managed to get them both to run... so the engines themselves were in decent shape for what they are... i payed 2500 bucks for the 2 pickups... i guess it depends where your from and who wants them bad enough.. tose old flatheads are getting more and more rare.. if its seized and needs a major overhaul i dont think id pay more than a few hundred but you might find a hardcore flatheader that will pay through his nose
Old 10-27-2013, 10:11 AM
oldmerc

oldmerc has a great reputation on FTE.oldmerc has a great reputation on FTE.oldmerc has a great reputation on FTE.oldmerc has a great reputation on FTE.
OK Ball park . To clean ,magnaflux , bore , maybe pin a couple of small cracks in the deck , install a couple of sleeves , bore for oversize pistons , grind and polish the crank , install cam bearings , rebush and hone the rods . Then you need parts gasket set , pistons and rings . main and rod bearings , oil pump , 2 water pumps , grind flywheel replace clutch assembly , fuel pump , rebuild carb , rebuild or replace distributor . $5000.00 depending on how much of this you can do yourself . Also I probably forgot a few things .
Iffley Saskatchewan
Old 10-27-2013, 10:11 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > Flathead V8 & Flathead 6