Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Factory wiper blades, frustrated.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 06:40 AM
hammer65
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"I agree with MCDavis...get that windshield cleaned. You need to get the windshield surface completely cleaned of any residual buildup or contaminants as well as cleaning the wiper blades off. You will not remove most contaminants with just windex, you need to use something that will actually LIFT off the contaminants. MCDavis is correct that claying a windshield will remove a lot of the contaminants from your windshield just like it does for paint. I have not tried the Bosch wipers as of yet but will do so when I have to replace mine.

Contrary to popular belief..RainX actually CAUSES blades to skip due to the ineffective way it tries to seal the windshield. Removal of RainX does not occur easily. I would suggest using denatured alcohol and a microfiber cloth. Be careful not to get that alcohol on your paint or it will effectively REMOVE your wax. Also no not ever use a scrub pad or anything like that on your windshield as it can cause damage. BMW actually says to use Bon Ami to clean your windshield if you have chatter from your wipers."

I agree. I tried Rainx and I hated it. Like to have never got it off my F250.
So now I am sour on everything Rainx Brands.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:11 AM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been using the same brand of blades for 10 years on 6 trucks and they work great:

ANCO for $5 at WALMART in the blue&yellow wrap. 6 months with the Summer blade, throw it out and then 6 months with the ANCO all rubber winter blade. These work just as well or better than any $20.00+ blade in my experience and we actually travel to the USA (on the way to holidays etc) to buy them, as Canadian prices are astronomical and more highly taxed.

Another good trick is to spray silicone every 6 months on the wiper arm spring and hinge to prevent oxidation/corrosion from impeding the downward force pressure of the arm to the glass.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:22 AM
SabreFX4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have RainX Latitude blades on all my vehicles and would recommend them to anyone....they work VERY well for me!

Make sure you get the Latitude series of RainX blades, as they make more than 1 kind.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
+1 Bosch. My factory ones are still working well, however will switch to Bosch for replacement when needed. As mentioned, clean glass helps. Bon-ami OR you could go nuts like this:

Personally, that is way to involved for me. Quick spray with a good non-ammonia glass cleaner and bon ami for the tough spots

Originally Posted by tvsjr
An added spoiler is good for +20HP, right? So two blades, 40HP. Win.
Thanks for the laugh

Old 10-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rolloman
2011 F150. My factory wipers are terrible about chatter. Bought a new set and they do it also. Anyone else have this and solve it with aftermarket?
If they only chatter in one direction just grab and twist them away from that direction. It is caused by an incorrect angle not allowing the rubber wiper to flex in both directions.

My 2103 FX4 wiper baldes work great, no chattering problems.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:53 PM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re comment above recommending no ammonia...What's wrong with using a spray containing ammonia on the windows like WINDEX? Works fine; whats in Bon AMI that Windex lacks?

Old 10-17-2013, 07:53 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only issue I'm aware of with ammonia is on window tinting, which shouldn't be a factor for the windshield.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:08 PM
gDMJoe
Laughing Gas
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Big-Red-Lariat ... whats in Bon AMI that Windex lacks?
Bon Ami Powder Cleanser “hasn’t scratched yet”®, but it has changed – for the better. Bon Ami still uses the trademark feldspar and limestone as gentle, effective abrasives, but now combines them with even more sustainable cleaning agents from renewable corn, coconut, and palm oils. Plus we’ve added a touch of baking soda to help absorb odors. Bon Ami Powder Cleanser’s label is a bold interpretation of the classic red banner and Bon Ami’s famous just-hatched-chick great for gift giving. The paper and steel package is one of the most eco-friendly on store shelves. It’s made from recycled paper and can be recycled again.
------------------------------

-click- the pic'
Goth 150
< This space intentionally -blank- >

Old 10-18-2013, 03:54 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Red-Lariat
Re comment above recommending no ammonia...What's wrong with using a spray containing ammonia on the windows like WINDEX? Works fine; whats in Bon AMI that Windex lacks?
One thing about ammonia is that is effectively STRIPS wax off your car. Any overspray on your paint and you have just removed your paint protection. If you MUSt use the ammonia spray it on the towel first away from your paint..then apply it to your windshield.

As with most tinted windows they only recommend using water to clean the tint.

Robb...attempted reps for the video...but I am still in jail.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:46 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Red-Lariat
Re comment above recommending no ammonia...What's wrong with using a spray containing ammonia on the windows like WINDEX?
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
One thing about ammonia is that is effectively STRIPS wax off your car. Any overspray on your paint and you have just removed your paint protection. If you MUSt use the ammonia spray it on the towel first away from your paint..then apply it to your windshield.

As with most tinted windows they only recommend using water to clean the tint.
All the points Rob made here, plus ammonia will dry out/discolor the rubber stripping around the window. Just not worth it when there are so many other non-ammonia cleaners out there. I use windex on house windows only.

Originally Posted by PrinceValium
Robb...attempted reps for the video...but I am still in jail.
Thanks for the rep attempt . Just shot you a PM with some other "drive clean" videos.